Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what my options are for an engine swap.

My RD03 (650) is comming on to 95000km and its time to replace cam chains & tensioners.....

Can get my hands on a VFR 800 FI for a fair price (way less than what the cam chain adventures gonna cost)...........

·
Registered
450 Posts
IV never herd of a vfr800 engine fitting in a RD03 but maybe.
I read a few times on the web that you can put the transalp 650 engine into the RD03, I think also the Transalp 600.
I remember reading that one of the engines is a direct fit, it gets more complicated when you have to swap the carbs, airbox etc.

Somebody on here can confirm I'm sure

Traveling The World Two Up on a 1989 Africa Twin 650.

Updates Here:
www.instagram.com/Africa.Twin.Adventures
www.facebook.com/DHealy91

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I really doubt if it would fit to be honest even if you could mount the engine in the frame and I really doubt it would go in there as its physically an awful lot bigger in every way if you google vfr 800 street fighter you will see what I mean . the vfr has 4 carbs the heads are over twice as wide the petrol tank would not have enough room under it the angle of the v is much greater the back wheel is wider . even a firestorm /varadero 1000 engine would not go in there . your only hope is get a nice low mileage engine crated out to you I think but the freight is going to open your wallet a bit . maybe a hawk gt /bros 650 engine would work ? they were big sellers in the USA but then it would have cross the Atlantic . Germany would probably be your best bet . as they were a good seller there if you inquire about it you can probably get a good price on shipping . good luck with it .

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The scarcity of all things RD03 on this side is the problem......

I love the Twin, but need something more suited to long roads at 140/160......

I need to replace the timing chains and all (getting a bit noisy) and relatively cheap VFR 800FI is available......

Not the ideal option, but way cheaper then what the rebuilds gonna cost.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I love the Twin, but need something more suited to long roads at 140/160......
This is NOT the right bike for you then. The RD03 is an off-road bike with twisty frame, no power and lousy brakes. ;-)
If you want to ride at 140-160kph, then get that VFR. It will have the frame for that, as well as the brakes.

Lee

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Not the ideal option, but way cheaper then what the rebuilds gonna cost.
I suspect the cost of the engine will be the least of your worries. Like Lee said, if that's what you want from the bike, then an Africa Twin, however good the engine, isn't the best choice. It's just not designed for that task, and you could spend a lot of cash and still be disappointed.

But if you do go ahead with the transplant, keep us posted. Just because nobody has tried it before, doesn't mean it can't be done, and you might end up with a really novel hybrid. Perhaps...... But think carefully first about what you want from it, from all aspects: frame, suspension, brakes, riding position, etc. And if cost is the biggest issue, buy a more suitable bike instead.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
BTW Changing a cam chain and tensioner is no more than a day and half job. Most of the time spent on dropping the engine and refitting it. While you're there, change pistons and redo the heads. It'll be cheaper and simpler than adapting a "foreign" motor. ;-)

Or buy a new Africa Twin.

·
Registered
154 Posts
VFR 800 fi is fuel injection so no need to worry about carbs, (great bike had one) but the 750 model has carbs if that was what you were referring too

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Picked up the VFR800FI....... theres no way in hell its gonna fit....

Its either stretch the front end, or move the mono shock...it is do-able, but I'd like to eventually restore the Twin to her former glory...

Looks like I'm gonna be chopping the VFR instead

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts