Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just signed up to viewranger.com so I can get ordnance survey maps on my iphone.

Anybody using it and what do you think?

Regards,

Marc

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
I've just signed up to viewranger.com so I can get ordnance survey maps on my iphone.

Anybody using it and what do you think?

Regards,

Marc
I've used it for ages, maybe 5 or 6 years, I first used it on a Nokia 5500 sport which was a ruggedised (Semi) smartphone along with a Holux Bluetooth GPS unit, my main usage was for recording mountain bike rides rather than using it for route guidance and the reason for this was that the screen was just too small to be of any use whilst riding a bike and being a bit short sighted to boot.

If you have any problems with Viewranger the speed of backup is amazing and always accurate, I now have it on my iPhone and was able to transfer all the maps that I had previously bought with no problems and when you need to buy more map "tiles" it's an absolute breeze.

I've got 50,000 scale mapping (OS Landranger) because to buy the more detailed 25,000 Outdoor Leisure I would need to win the lottery.

I have used it for guidance for a few walks but I used Memory map to create the route on the PC just because it's easier but they are a very forward thinking company and I'd be surprised if they don't have some way of doing it online by now.

Bottom line? I recommend it.

·
Administrator
1,783 Posts
I've had a look at their website... it's a bit difficult to find out how much it actually costs to obtain software and maps!

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
I've had a look at their website... it's a bit difficult to find out how much it actually costs to obtain software and maps!
No idea about other phones but if you've got an iPhone you'd buy it from the Appstore where it's £14.99, it includes credits that you can use to buy some mapping and once you've used them all up you can load your account with credit and buy map tiles as and when you need them.

Looking around their site it is a bit confusing I'll grant you, tell them that it's pants, they will reply.

If you're unsure as to if you want to spend the money just buy the open maps version which I think is about £2, if it's not for you then it's not even cost you the price of a pint.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Been using it for years myself, currently on a Samsung Galaxy Note on which it's absolutely perfect for on the bike. It works great and their support is amazing. My only niggle is it uses their own map format.
What are you running it on, an Android system ? If you are take a look at Backcountry Navigator and Orux Maps as well. Orux Maps looks especially good as it can use various offline calibrated maps including OziExplorer maps of which I have a few, but BC can also do offline maps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts