Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - Does anyone know how to get the ignition lock off the FX650? I'm trying to remove the top yoke for re-painting/repair but I can't see how to get the ignition lock off it. It looks like it's held on with 2 screws that have some sort of metal "cap" over the end underneath the lock so you can't get at them to unscrew them. Presumably some sort of security feature. Does it need a special tool? Thanks if anyone can assist.

·
Registered
327 Posts
People on here have replied in the past that they are shear bolts that need centre punching and heads drilled off..I would try drilling and use an easy out first..never done it on a bike but have on a car..

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,039 Posts
Put the yoke in a vice. Get a metal punch and a hammer. Hit one of the domes on the edge until you make a little gouge. The use the punch to tap the gouge in an undoing direction. Once it has turned a little you should be able to unscrew it with your fingers or a pair of pliers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, both. This operation is underway. To get the yoke off the bike, I found that unplugging the ignition cable end inside the headlamp is a hell of a lot easier than trying to unscrew the bottom half of the ignition lock (3 tiny rusty torch screws).

·
Stone Crazy
5,315 Posts
drill the head right off the bolt the remaining part in the switch will undid easily with a pair of pliers when I did mine , if you are worried about security I think you can buy the shear head bolts from honda if not do as i did and I refitted mine with stainless allen head bolts , some copaslip or grease on the threads will lessen the reaction between the stainless and the alloy

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Done. Eventually. Drilling the head off was not really successful- a good supply of sharp drill bits would have helped. Made a right mess of the first one. I found that using a sacrificial screwdriver to cut a groove into the edge of the shear bolt head and knock it round with a hammer worked much butter (a centrepunch would probably have been the right thing to use - as suggested above). Shear bolts are on Ebay but the allen bolt option would avoid the hassle again. I have 2 stainless bolts but the stainless/alloy fusing reaction does worry me - even with a grease barrier. Anyway, I’m getting there so thanks for all the advice so far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts