Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience removing or replacing the steel sleeve and rubber bushings in the fork top bridge where the stems of the 2 handlebar lower holders fit in? The stems are secured by a 14mm nut underneath the bridge. On my Vigor, the handlebar lower holders have developed a lot of "squishy" play although the 14mm nut seems tight enough. I’m wondering whether the rubber bushings might need replacing but there are 2 issues: firstly, the sleeve won’t budge (I’d have thought it would just push out with a bit of encouragement) and, secondly, the online parts schematics do not show the sleeve and bushing, just the bridge as a single unit. I’m wondering whether perhaps the top bridge, sleeves and bushings all come in a “fixed” unit and cannot be dismantled (i.e. an expensive replacement). Any ideas, anyone???

·
Registered
327 Posts
YES...Most probably the same as my 1999 XL600v Transalp...bushes not renewable..will have trouble at MOT time if their squishy..do not try and get them out you will bugger the top bridge..get large washers on the top and bottom clamping them up solid..I then put foam rubber Grip Puppy sleeves on grips and no buzzy vibes reach your hands...Took a bit of measuring to get the thickness of the washers correct and had to grind the sides at and angle on the bottom washers to fit snuggly in position as the underside of the bridge is not a nice flat area...see my pics of the washers..hope this helps...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hi again Big Thumper...pics on here..
Removing rubber bushings (handlebar mounts) from Transalp 600 top yoke

Look this up..others have had this hassle..I'm on this and a few others..should steer you in the right direction...literally makes a massive improvement on the steering..but thank Braunj.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hi..Did you see the pictures of washers and dimensions etc.? .Don't know if your bike uses the same top yoke parts as an old Transalp..It's near impossible to get in and take measurements, but i used a spare set that were off the bike. When i bolted mine up with the 3mm thick washers i had a .007" thou gap and it didn't clamp tight. So added rubber washers made out of pre-shrunk black heavy duty electical heatshrink insulation which gave it a bit of rubber mounting. I had to open the inside diameters of all washers to 19.35mm to fit over the bushes inner metal sleeves. Also trimmed the 33.5mm outside diameters of the underside to 31.7mm with a taper ground to 30 mm to fit snug into the cast shape of the lower underside yoke...I bought the really large washers on ebay and modified to suit..I could have used up to 4 mm thick as i ended up with 4 mm of thread protruding from the nut ! but these were unavailable in the diameters i was looking for and took a chance on 3 mm, which all worked ok...It's a sod getting the two washers " I used the original behind the nut " up in place and getting the nut back on with a bit of loctite as well...If you think you need the same washers as i used i have some spares you could modify...without any rubber, if the bikes are the same ? one on top and two underneath on each side should work ? I could post 6 off to you...good luck with it...my MOT man wanted it fixed for the next one....Andy..in England ? ?

I just looked all this stuff up in my Transalp notes on service stuff...Grip Puppies are brilliant and every bike should have them for £13 quid.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Andy. I appreciate the offer. I've been out all day and haven't checked the bike yet but I think it's a different yoke, although the same washers may work. I'll be taking it off tomorrow to look at it properly to see what can be done (was going to repaint it anyway). Your solution may be the best one, in which case I'll take you up on your offer. Other options include getting a yoke with decent bushings from a breaker, or maybe even finding some after-market bushings and trying to replace them. I'll post an update. Thanks again for your interest. (Nigel)

·
Registered
327 Posts
People have had a go at making their own bushes..don't think any pattern replacements out there..did you see the mess on the post I suggested..my Mot bike shop
man said go the washer route.. easiest and lasts forever...let me know about washers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts