Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wonderful thing about Vigors, 'cause Vigors are wonderful things,
their tyres are made out of rubber, their suspension's made out of springs,
they're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, wouncy fun fun fun fun fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Vigors is I own more than one!

Reactions: Jackdaw

·
Stone Crazy
5,317 Posts
Well i had a SLR and a Vigor once, oh and for bouncy get a new rear shock

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Possibly but I don't like fairings and I don't like the vague 21" front end.
Is should qualify that, I really don't like fairings. My VStom has a fairing and I don't like that either, I admire the VStrom and it's a damn useful device so it's staying but I don't really like it.

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Having had a Vigor and a Dommie, the Dommie is the one with street cred, rightly or wrongly. I have to say that the Vigor was a hoot. The size of some 125 and the torque of a loony! I think the Vigor is as good as a Dommie, but typical bikers........

I had a Guzzi Nevada for a while, but changed to a T3 as the bigger Guzzis were meant to be the best. I have to say that the Nevada, a 95 one, was quicker, accelerated quicker and very comfortable, but it was not the sought after model. I'm glad I've past the 'must be the bike to have' stage.

I am hoping for an XT500. Not because it has become a classic, which annoys me, but because it is the first bike I went to buy. Went in for a 500, came out with a DT100 instead. The size of the 500 scared me, having never ridden a bike before. How stupid that sounds now.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Having had both, I would have a Vigor / SLR over the XT any time. The Yam looks good but does nothing better than the Honda, and a lot of things worse (eg the brakes).

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
some grand old xt /tt 500's xl 500/600's on e bay in the USA and Canada low mileage ones going for handy enough money . it wouldn't be economical viable to transport one across the atlantic but nice to watch to see what they make . I have a thing for for old air cooled 4 cylinders and I see some right bargain's stuff like Suzuki gs650L 19000 miles as new condition original even the exaust paint seat cover not a spec of rust $650 . Harley fxr's all original low mileage for less that $3000 but even if you lived over there the bike you like could be 1500 miles away . take you a week to ride it home :lol:

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Let's be honest, anyone who would think that the XT500 is a better ride than the Vigor needs their head examined..... anyone know the way to Belle Vue!!
But, passion is a weird one, twin shocks, points ignition.... ahhhh simplicity :D or maybe that should be :blob7:

I love the tank on the XT..... How about I just paint a Vigor tank white and black..... Where's Belle Vue again?.......

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
XTs are very nice, but they are a generation older than the Vigor.
I've come to the conclusion that a nice basic CDI is better than points, when I was running my GS750 outfit the points were the thing that kept causing my grief. Come to think of it the same was true on my Jawa 350 outfit (maybe it's something about outfits?)
The FX/SLR is about as simple as I want to get, the CDI is reliable and if you keep a spare there's nothing to worry about. Similarly the rear monoshock isn't a problem if you strip and grease the linkages every year and let's be honest the handling on and especially off road is far better with a monoshock than with twin shocks.
Also there is only one carb to worry about, on the Freewind I had there were two carbs and a solenoid thingy which opened a vacuum line to an accumulator, also on the Freewind the camshaft runs direct in the head.
All told the SLR/FX is the way to go, for me it's the perfect balance of modern reliability with old-school character and there isn't another single cylinder engine that gives the low down stomp of a big RFVC Honda. I went out the other day and did 50 odd miles on a mixture of Motorway, A and B roads, unclassified roads and couple of trails and I didn't go above 4500RPM once - perfect for me.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
XTs are very nice, but they are a generation older than the Vigor.
I've come to the conclusion that a nice basic CDI is better than points, when I was running my GS750 outfit the points were the thing that kept causing my grief. Come to think of it the same was true on my Jawa 350 outfit (maybe it's something about outfits?)
The FX/SLR is about as simple as I want to get, the CDI is reliable and if you keep a spare there's nothing to worry about. Similarly the rear monoshock isn't a problem if you strip and grease the linkages every year and let's be honest the handling on and especially off road is far better with a monoshock than with twin shocks.
Also there is only one carb to worry about, on the Freewind I had there were two carbs and a solenoid thingy which opened a vacuum line to an accumulator, also on the Freewind the camshaft runs direct in the head.
All told the SLR/FX is the way to go, for me it's the perfect balance of modern reliability with old-school character and there isn't another single cylinder engine that gives the low down stomp of a big RFVC Honda. I went out the other day and did 50 odd miles on a mixture of Motorway, A and B roads, unclassified roads and couple of trails and I didn't go above 4500RPM once - perfect for me.

I rode both an xt 500 and an xt600e and I found both very harmless bikes to ride not much power at all . just for looks alone I really fancy an xl600R from about 1983 but ones worth having make big money . hard to believe they are 32 years old already . they would be as reliable as anything modern but still have the old world charm of a kick start . I like how big singles ride and the kind of roads I seek out they would be perfect my only gripe is the small fuel tank I have to stop often enough on the Transalp and filling stations are getting scarce in the more remote places I like to go and play in . I would love a bsa b50 something like rick ferguson's bike in this link but the cost of buying one and parts to keep it on the road and me being a mechanical challenged kind of chap it wouldn't make sence buying one . we take it for granted how reliable and easy to maintain our old Honda are we get all of the fun and none of the headaches that the older bikes gave . BSA B50 special PHOTOPAGE

·
Registered
742 Posts
I hear you on the older bikes, as cool and soulful as they are they need work to keep running.
BobN has it when he says these bikes have the last of the real aircooled engines with character and none of the maintenance/parts sourcing worries with older brit stuff.
I would also like an XL600 but I'd really like the disc brake version.
Smaller thumpers are also nice to ride around bad roads, not as punchy as the 600's but still decently quick and a lot less weight.
I had an XL250S with the 23" front wheel and it was a great little bike aside from the stupid front wheel limiting tyre choice.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The only good thing about points is that usually it's possible to get up and running again as problems are usually non-terminal whereas with CDI it's either working or not. However, I agree that non-points is the way to go. I had Boyer fitted to my Norton Commando which I used for 20 years or so for continental touring and the only problem I ever had with that was down to dodgy connections at the stator plate which were very poorly designed.

Lots of problems with other things of course (mostly self-inflicted).

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I hear you on the older bikes, as cool and soulful as they are they need work to keep running.
BobN has it when he says these bikes have the last of the real aircooled engines with character and none of the maintenance/parts sourcing worries with older brit stuff.
I would also like an XL600 but I'd really like the disc brake version.
Smaller thumpers are also nice to ride around bad roads, not as punchy as the 600's but still decently quick and a lot less weight.
I had an XL250S with the 23" front wheel and it was a great little bike aside from the stupid front wheel limiting tyre choice.

a Honda 250 single is a thing of beauty a rode a motorsport around a 1972 model when I was around 14 one of the first bikes I ever had a go .it was one of my first hits that sent me down the road of motorcycle addiction :lol:an xl250 with the 23 " front wheel it pulled 2 adults up steep hills not a bother to it . and served a friend very well for years .it was an ex bord na mona bike ( used for traveling across the bogs of Ireland to get to the peat harvesting machines ) as seen in the movie eat the peach . a real gem of a movie I seen it on youtube recently well worth a watch :thumbup: it had the 4"x4" plate welded to the side stand . I done this to my Transalp great job it is only mine is 3x3 . I also rode a cl250s one of my all time favourite bikes and a cb250rs I recently met a sound bloke with a mint one what a handsome little bike and well able to pull it self along .

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Schorsch, my R65 runs points. I have stayed away from electronic because of bike age; 35 years.
Yes, I have to adjust the points/timing at least annually, but if I have a spark, it must be fuel; full stop.

Re the XL600, I had an Xl600LMF and as per the whole thread, it was not as poky as later models. My 1999 Dommie was much better, but the LMF did look sexy.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not completely points free - my little KE100 has them. They're hidden inside the generator rotor and you have to adjust them through one of the slots cut in the front. It's hours of fun trying to pass a 0.4mm feeler gauge through a slot 20mm wide, next a thunking great permanent magnet!

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I'm not completely points free - my little KE100 has them. They're hidden inside the generator rotor and you have to adjust them through one of the slots cut in the front. It's hours of fun trying to pass a 0.4mm feeler gauge through a slot 20mm wide, next a thunking great permanent magnet!

sounds like one of the very early motor bicycles use one hand for the throttle one for the clutch and all your other hands to do everything else :lol:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi Bob,

I see you came to the same conclusion about the V-Strom that I did. Lovely bike out on the open road, and excellent handling etc but far too much of a lump for manhandling / parking / round town etc.

I'm sure I'll miss the wind protection but have fitted a Givi A660 to my SLR so when I actually get to ride it rather than it being an ongoing engineering project we'll see how that works.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have the opposite problem with wind. I'm quite tall and I've never ridden a faired bike that didn't cause horrendous buffeting around my head. The VStrom was particularly bad because the screen is so far forward. The only way I could get any comfort was to have the screen on its highest postion, then have the adjustable screen extender on its highest setting too, but that meant that I was looking through the screen and not over it and I HATE that. Then on the back lanes and dirt tracks I just couldn't see what I was about to roll over, the view of the road being limited to about 15ft in front of the bike.
Anyway, live and learn. I'm actually thinking about a Reiju Tango 250 now as an additional toy, I had a sit on one yesterday and it was like a BMX, I think they're 101KG in weight.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The Givi worked really well on my short test trip yesterday (apart from my not tightening up one of the screws properly.....)

It made 70 mph quite comfortable with no need to hang on and a short excursion up to 80 was fine. Airflow was very smooth.

The fittings do look slightly flimsy but worked well - the airflow was hitting my visor but I've adjusted the angle a bit and expect it to be a bit higher now. I always used to scorn fairings / screens but must have got soft in my old age.....

I got the screen from here: https://www.motocard.com/en/windshields-2/givi-a660.aspx - at £63 inc shipping it was at least £20 cheaper than UK suppliers and arrived in a week with no problems at all.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts