Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
???
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the onset of slightly colder weather and darker nights I am battling with my pinlock visor.

1. Double glasing on the visor great! :thumbup: But my glasses are fogging up due to the cold vs warm thing.

2. When I raise my visor to unfog my specs it is like the blessed mirical of the restoration of the sight :toothy1: Not only do I unfog but I realise that the blasted pinlock tends to 'starburst' lights around me and it really does reduce visibility just by having the extra layer of plastic there, I would say (in photographic terms) by one stop. I do clean the thing often, and it is sealed and adjusted correctly.

So in conclusion I would say that the pinlock is great in the piddling rain in daylight to eliminated fogging but t night it can hamper your vision. I know of one other rider who has found exactly the same.

DOes anyone else find this?

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
no- the pinlock on my Shoei is fantastic- however the pinlock on the Nolan N103 was not so good, after a few months. What helmet do you have?
I agree with you, I had the Nolan N102 and the pinlock was rubbish, the Shoei is excellent.

·
???
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a shoei helmet, I clean it using fresh water and fingers only, I then leave to naturally dry. :(

oh well...

But thanks for the responses :)

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
last 2 helmets have been shoei and both with pinlock and both great. I am a glasses wearer so full sympathy with the steaming up glasses effect. I am not sure I understand your problem, and the "1 stop" explanation hasn't helped me much (at all). Nevertheless here's my thoughts:
The pinlock insert is softer than the visor so does scratch more easily. The only solution is replace it.

The pinlock visor should be under tension to keep the seal on the visor. Is this too much tension and causing distortion? You can adjust the tension by turning the pins.

Generally I do not think the pinlock visors are of particularly good optical quality. All of mine have had areas where the plastic is inconsistent in thickness and quality.

Glasses can be kept mist free using Bob Heath visor spray, other brands, or by rubbing with washing up liquid and then polishing til clear.

If you have the chin curtain fitted it eliminates most airflow under the chin bar. Remove it. I have and it make loads of difference to fogging glasses, but you do get a cold chin.

The pinlock packaging does actually say they are not designed for use at night. Bizarre when this is when you tend to need them most.

Finally on my XR1000 helmet the visor could be kept open just the tiniest crack on one side to let air in at low speeds. This generally kept everything fog free and was especially useful in rain. Wind pressure automatically closed the visor at about 30mph.

good luck

·
Posh Bird
562 Posts
It's a shoei helmet, I clean it using fresh water and fingers only, I then leave to naturally dry. :(

oh well...

I wouldn't do it with fresh water and fingers as that's not going to shift any grease or anything that's got on there so well.
I use kitchen roll and a visor cleaner. The kitchen roll picks up the dirt and makes sure it isn't just smudged about the visor. The cleaning stuff cuts through grease, which can cause the "starburst effect" you spoke about. When I last wiped mine with a less than clean tea towel :rolleyes: I had that exactly at night, very offputting!! Cleaned it thoroughly the next day with clean kitchen roll and sorted....

·
My Blue Beast
756 Posts

oh well...

would that be chocolate..fish..sponge ? ( think sponge would dry quicker !):rolleyes:.......how do ya know water`s `fresh` ??aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh !!!

·
???
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions folks

:)

The pinlock and visor are clean and well sealed, i actually am on a second pinlock to try and sort it but it's the same problem and they are 20 quid a pop!

WRT the light issue I find it is a bit like using a tinted visor (but only apparent at night). I suppose I'll get there in the end. I did meet one other rider who identical issues to me. He binned the whole lot and bought an Arai - errrr that's a bit extreme though.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I understand the 'one stop' comment but cant say i have the same issue with mine...Arai helmet with clear pinlock.

I also wear glasses to work on my commute, mornings suffer the worst but a fresh flow of air does help, I usually keep the chin bar down but the visor on the lock/open position (Arai specific, the visor is locked down but slightly open, can also be totally locked and sealed).

I did get rid of the tinted visor i bought which was great in france during July but with our crap road markings and the Norfolk country roads, i couldnt see a thing in the shade during daylight and riding in the sun after rain was just plain dangerous.

Ive installed a dark strip to the top of the visor, sandwiched inbetween the visor and the pinlock visor. Does let a bit of misting in after a while though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a shoei xr1000 and have exactly the same problem.

I use nikwax visorproof on my visor so the rain runs off. The insert stops it steaming up but I get the same 'starburst' effect.

I'm going to attempt the above suggestions for cleaning the visor with kitchen roll etc and see if that helps.

It may be the nikwax that is making it blurry but need this on for the rainy nights otherwise will be even worse sight.

My shoei xr1000 doesn;t seem to open slightly at only 1 side as mentioned above but does open 1 click on both sides to help demist. i also have a breath deflector which helps in most weather except where the rain is really bad.

The pinlock insert is great for de-misting but does distort the vision. Mine is only a few weeks old as my other one cracked whilst removing to clean the visor so don't think the age of the insert makes any difference.

I will try cleaning with warm soapy water 'as per the helmet instructions' and kitchen roll instead of a cloth and see if this makes any difference.

Let me know if you get a resolution from this and I will post my findings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts