Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Has any one been to austria recently,
I hope to be going later on in the year and wanted to know if i need to buy the vigneta (MOTOR WAY TAX),
If so weare is the best place to buy it from,
I will also be going through Italy & Switzerland and I am OK with the swiss vigneta,
Allso can any one recomend any good campsites with adresses in and around insbruck & lake garda, Im ok with switzerland as Iv been there afew times in the past,
Thanks,
Ian,
xl700.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Whether you'll need a vignette depends on your route. If you're heading Zurich - Innsbruck you'll probably want to take the A12, but if you're running Garmisch Partenkirchen - Riva then take the 177 and 182 to save a few quid. What I'd point out is that you can get a 10-day Austrian vignette for just €7.90 (unlike the Swiss vignette where you have to pay 40 Fr (£27) for a year-long vignette even if you're there just for a day or two).

I haven't found anywhere that sells Austrian vignettes on-line, so I think you'd have to buy one on the border or at a fuel station. You probably know already that you can get a Swiss vignette on-line from sites like Purchasing Motorway Vignette .

Regarding Lake Garda, be prepared for traffic jams! The roads are narrow and crowded so dismiss dreams gazing across the water as you cruise effortlessly alongside the lake.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Hi, Has any one been to austria recently,
I hope to be going later on in the year and wanted to know if i need to buy the vigneta (MOTOR WAY TAX),
Advice to me last year, was if you are "passing through" and not stopping en route, do not bother. The Guvmint Inspectors snoop around the service areas apparently, but do not stop vehicles on the m'way itself. I didn't bother!

However, this is all at your own risk :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts