Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

A stone kicked up and scratched my visor right in my sight line. Does anyone know of any DIY or commercially available product to get rid of the scratch or reduce it?

I have a Shoei helmet so would rather not have to pay out for a new visor especially cos just had to shell out for new battery

thanks

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Nope. Never come across a way that really works. At least visor was down, did it's job and saved your eyesight.:thumbright:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Metal polish and loads of patience. It will take ages and once you have all the scratches out move on to car polish and buff out to a shine.

I have a few old scratched iridium ones that I polished and removed the iridium coating then attacked the scratches. As I said it took ages but they came up like new. The only bits I couldn't do was the iridium stuck in between the raised lettering on the side.

Kind of therapeutic but don't rush it and don't be tempted to put in on a buffing wheel as it overheats the visor and wrecks it for good. Guess how I know that :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Will try the polishing. No point buying the kit as might as well get new visor for that price.

Any other suggestions?

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
the old original turtle wax helps disguise scratches, but will not get rid of em

·
Registered
485 Posts
Many moons ago in the days before anti scratch visors I used to polish them with T-cut.It worked fine back then.
With the cost of replacement visors and the chances of ruining one I would not try it these days unless I had an old one to experiment on first.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Many moons ago in the days before anti scratch visors I used to polish them with T-cut.It worked fine back then.
With the cost of replacement visors and the chances of ruining one I would not try it these days unless I had an old one to experiment on first.
I always used toothpaste, and for deeper scratches, some Eucryl smokers toothpaste!! Not as abrasive as T-cut, but the same principle... and problem with modern visors.

·
Nexus 6
1,320 Posts
I've used 'Meguaire's plastic polish' in the past and it works ok same principle as t-cut, different chemicals as its plastic specific I suppose.......

·
Registered
135 Posts
Interesting stuff. Anyone found visors seem to be pretty poor now and scratched to hell fairly quickly even when treated real carefully?

·
Nexus 6
1,320 Posts
Yip, and windscreens are the same in cars now as well - dunno whats up with that like, but its true..........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts