Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a "do it all" bike, to replace the Transalp (London ULEZ has kiboshed it's use) and the R1200RT.

I am looking at the Vstrom 650, the Tracer 700 or the NC750X

I have ridden the NC750X recently and it was good. I rode the VStrom a while back, but can't remember anything about it.

I am not looking at BMW (too expensive) or the Transalp 700 (too cramped for me)

What's everyone's thoughts? Any other bikes I should consider?

The bike needs to be ok in heavy traffic and good enough for longer trips too, so a 250cc is too small and a 1000cc bike would be too heavy. Although I coud be swayed by an Africa Twin

·
Administrator
1,784 Posts
I bought a 650 VStrom after the demise of my Transalp. I don't commute, but I'm very happy with the VStrom around town and for longer trips. A bit more power than the TA, and it's doing 60+ mpg consistently. I did test an Nc700/750, which was ok until I hit (repeatedly) the rev limiter.... frustrating! Testing the VStrom, though, I came back with a smile on my face, and it fitted like a glove

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

·
Hill Rider
3,112 Posts
Not ridden the 700 Tracer and have only ridden the old version of the Strom, but I would happily have one, 650 Strom, as my only bike . . . . . . . hypothetically of course - can't remember when I last had only one bike of my own in the garage :D

Steve T

:cool:

·
Registered
25 Posts
My Dl650 did 60,000 miles. Commuting, touring 2up and roaming the trails.

Very very good do it all bikes. The engine has a split personally. Under 5k and its a usefully tool, over 6k amd it starts to come alive.

Loved mine. Will likely have another when the Varadero has to go.

Don't take a bike the vstrom trail riding... I'm an idiot. But it was fun.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
i hear good things about the 650 strom everywhere i go - if a cheap one came up and I had a bit of spare cash I'd be tempted to give it a try - although I'd be loath to get rid of my v twin hondas.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
sadly here in London, we have no choice. Any Transalp 600 and most Transalp 650s will effectively be banned from Central London from April 2019, and effectively banned from this orange area from Oct 2021

658d83c680ad5e39113d458bb6abbb94f2a6ed22.png

... although I'd be loath to get rid of my v twin hondas.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i could buy four Africa Twins with the amount of money it costs to move these days

·
Registered
178 Posts
Does that mean all vehicles bigger than a motor bike, with combustion engines will also be banned? If not then why are they banning 600 and 650 Transalps?

·
Administrator
1,784 Posts
Since, as yet, there's NO UK Government emissions standards for bikes, the London assembly (?) has just come up with a purely arbitrary cut-off for bikes. All totally unscientific, baseless nonsense, but because they can, they've done it. I'm very glad I never need to ride or drive to London..... and given the current price of rail tickets from South Wales, I'll not be rushing to visit London by public transport either!

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
when i say "banned" i mean "subject to a £12.50 daily charge"

it's all based on your bike's emissions

quote:

[h=2]Minimum emission standards[/h]All vehicles will need to meet Euro 3 emissions standards.
The ULEZ will be enforced based on the declared emissions of the vehicle rather than the age - but generally speaking Euro 3 engines as those registered with the DVLA after July 2007.

see here

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone

·
Administrator
1,784 Posts
You're probably right....
but as far as I know they're still not subject to emissions testing for the MOT test. No, I'm just a bit of a Luddite who isn't happy with all this "Emissions" stuff and in particular the mad rush to electric vehicles with no thought for how the electricity is to be produced, stored, or indeed the infrastructure needed to move power from the generating station to the vehicle. Typical politicians' behaviour ....legislate first, and only afterwards worry about whether it's practical

·
Registered
28 Posts
i rode an electric motorcycle this month and it was fantastic. it really is the future...once they sort out the range, cost and charging issues.

the acceleration is amazing and its a bit like riding a 'magic carpet'

That is interesting- I've been using an electric car for the last year or so, and it's really very good. Love to try a bike.

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
531 Posts
Re. alternatives motorbikes, I had a NC700X a few years ago. It astounded me with 80+mpg, but at 6'1" I found it a bit too cramped for longer journeys....ok for the 15 mile commute to work but on longer journeys my knees began to feel up by my chin. However, I don't know if the NC750 retains the same seat/footpeg/bar dimensions. I changed the NC for a Tenere 660 which is a far better fit for me (and has the sort of thumper character I quite like). I have a tall-ish friend who did 10k miles on his Tracer 700 and really rated it, but sold it as going to Australia. I'm not too keen on the 'new' AT, and am hoping the 700 Tenere will be just the ticket for me....if it's as good as the Tracer I suspect it will be.
Electric bikes interest me a lot, especially if they're anything like my wonderful E-MTB! Must bag a test on a Zero DS sometime, we have a dealer opening soon nearby.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Other than suggesting one of the later 650 transalps (especially one in blue ;-P), my vote goes for the NC750X. The low reving engine takes a little getting used to, but the low down torque is fantastic and it pulls well in any gear. It is smooth, and well balanced with low down weight, so good for commuting and touring. It is economical, and boring enough that nobody will pinch it.

Edit: even my 55 plate 650 will be subject to the charge...

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yes, if a low miles late 2007 650 came up I would be tempted, but I really would like ABS though...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts