Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggests, I am toying with the idea of altering my Varadero by fitting a different petrol tank from a VTR, has anyone done this or used a tank from a different bike? If so how difficult and what was required? All replies welcome:thumbup:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Different frames on different bikes. Though some folk to get improved range on VTRs fit VFR tanks though it takes some bashing around (literally) to mould into shape.

On that note VTR tank (early model) only has 16L capacity giving a range of only about 80 miles (plus reserve) before petrol station anxiety takes hold...

What are you seeking to achieve? Different looks or some other reason?

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/varadero/162010-bored-your-varadero-enter-project-varatrackerstorm-firetrackerdero.html#post1323090

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen pics of the Varadero' customized with smaller tanks and I would like to try a custom build along similar lines myself. I think the Varadero could be improved at least in looks by changing the tank and cutting a bit off the standard fairing. Just wondering is it a straight fit and does the VTR tank also have two fuel taps?

·
Registered
3 Posts
As the title suggests, I am toying with the idea of altering my Varadero by fitting a different petrol tank from a VTR, has anyone done this or used a tank from a different bike? If so how difficult and what was required? All replies welcome:thumbup:
A couple of years ago I purchased a Varadero that had been in a front end crash, I decided to take the opportunity to make a lighter more off road orientated Varadero, I fitted Africa Twin RD07 complete front end (except the triple clamps, those remained Varadero) that is the shocks, front wheel, brakes and fairings. The most difficult part was getting the new mounting points on the Varadero tank in the right positions. In the end it worked well, I had better suspension with about 100mm of extra travel, the front end went from 19" to 21" and the bike was lighter. The down side - The Africa Twin brakes aren't nearly as good as that of the Varadero, and the front and back brakes were no longer linked.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A couple of years ago I purchased a Varadero that had been in a front end crash, I decided to take the opportunity to make a lighter more off road orientated Varadero, I fitted Africa Twin RD07 complete front end (except the triple clamps, those remained Varadero) that is the shocks, front wheel, brakes and fairings. The most difficult part was getting the new mounting points on the Varadero tank in the right positions. In the end it worked well, I had better suspension with about 100mm of extra travel, the front end went from 19" to 21" and the bike was lighter. The down side - The Africa Twin brakes aren't nearly as good as that of the Varadero, and the front and back brakes were no longer linked.
Impressive build! well done it works really well I think, Im getting ideas about my own, looks like the AT tank is the way to go, now to find one without taking out a bank loan :rolleyes::thumbup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Impressive build! well done it works really well I think, Im getting ideas about my own, looks like the AT tank is the way to go, now to find one without taking out a bank loan :rolleyes::thumbup:
That's the original Varadero tank on the bike, I had to create new mounting points on the tank for the fairings, getting those positions right was the most difficult job of all as I was working on my own and one is working with up/down back/forward and angle at the same time. To create the mounting points I used coupler nuts stuck on with a good epoxy which I then shaped so it didn't look like a botch job. It's only the Africa Twin fairings (with headlights), shocks, wheels and brakes that I used. The Varadero triple clamps were slightly wider than the Africa Twin's so I had to put in spacers to keep the wheel in the middle of the forks and spacers on the brake caliper mounts to get the discs and the calipers in the right positions..

·
Registered
462 Posts
I think that you've done a cracking job fitting the AT fairing & front end.

Very professional conversion.

On the VTR tank swap theme, personally I think it'll look crap, but I might be wrong.

Years ago I was modifying everything possible on my Varadero, everything bar the looks.

I too really think it's an ugly bike & Honda missed the target big time, but it is what it is.

I did think about customising mine also but it's a huge bike & I think you can only go smaller, smaller tank, smaller fairing etc.

When this is done the seat & arse of the bike looks colossal. This led me to build the bike I'm currently breaking my heart over.

I feel that Honda built a brilliant engine, but was let down in the style department on both bikes that shared it.

I came to the conclusion that only way to overcome the issue was to build my own, from the ground up :thumbright:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts