Honda XRV Forum banner
2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  simon0bikes 
#1 ·
I thought I would write this while it was fresh in my mind.
Just 30 minutes ago a man died while I was holding his hand. A fellow
motorcyclist who probably just misjudged his entry speed into the first
corner on the town side of Suikerbossie hill. This little misjudgement cost
him his life. He lowsided the bike, slid under the Armco and was mortally
injured by the Armco support pole.

In over 30 years of motorbiking I have similarly misjudged a thousand
corners, overtaken a thousand times where I shouldnt have and committed many
more serious errors of judgements than Brad Saint Claire did this afternoon.
All those who havent done the same put up your hands.

Someone said that motorcycling is not, in itself, inherently dangerous. It
is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence,
or stupidity.
I didnt know Brad Saint Clair but his death has caused me to pause (once
again) and think about how I ride and how often I am guilty of inattention,
ignorance, incompetence and stupity while piloting a motorbike. Maybe this
email will cause you to also pause and contemplate. I hope so.

Lets be carefull out there!

Gavin

See less See more
#2 ·
this is an all to sad situation gavin and most unpleasant for yourself.. but you have done well to post up your experience as we could all do with a a wake up call at times..its just sad sombody has to die for us to take heed:(

but in the same breath we all know motorcycling is risky but hell so is walking down the street:rolleyes:

ride and stay safe ya'all:thumbleft:

#3 ·
:( That's very very sad and sobering Gavin. Although there was nothing you could do, and Ive no doubt you're very distressed, you would have brought some comfort at some level to the rider, who didnt die alone, because you were there with him. Joe Simpson in Touching the Void said his biggest issue was he knew he was going to die, but he was determined not to die alone and that drove him on to find someone, somewhere - (ultimately saving his life ......).

The fact Brad had you by his side will, I believe have meant a lot ....

... but ultimatley any loss of life is tragic ... especially in such sad circumstances.

I also echo Chad - almost everything you do is inherently dangerous - just be as careful as you can......

#4 ·
True, we all do it... sometimes it does go wrong. Well done for posting it up.

There was a poll recently asking who had been on advanced riding skills courses, and the percentages were pretty low. its not foolproof, but it is a good place to start.

http://www.roadar.org/riders/index.htm you can start your training from as little as £10 with some of the local associations (or example... Cambridge). Check it out and minimise the risk.

#5 ·
Gavin

By being there, and by telling us, and every visitor to this forum from around the world, Brad Saint Clair's memory will touch on many people, and will cause everybody to perhaps "think again".

You were there for Brad, and your thoughts and words are here for us, and I'm sure anyone that reads your post will just say, "Well done, and Thanks".

Regards

Bob

#6 ·
It is always sad to lose a fellow biker. We are all guilty of lapses in concentration. I have had my share of spills but some of us get away with it when others of us do not. Perhaps the loss of Brad will make us all think twice before we wind on the throttle that little bit more.

#7 ·
Amen to that. Sorry to hear of Brad's death, mate, thoughts to his family and friends and of course to you too.

#8 ·
Ratrap.My thoughts are with you, and the family of said biker. You are a star for stopping and reaching out in his time of need and offering comfort when he needed it most. I believe you will always be blessed with a guardian angel.As for the rest of us, we must do more training and lobby governments to raise awareness of our vulnerability whilst accepting our responsibility to ride sensibly and within our own capabilities.. Nothing will change unless we reach out and start the process.Si...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.