Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Wales Tour - Rideout Report - Part 1

The Wales Tour – 5-9 March 2007 (Sponsored by Mars…)
PLEASE NOTE THIS REPORT IS IN 3 PARTS DUE TO PHOTO AND CHARACTER LIMITS - ANY RESPONSES PLEASE USE PART 3 ;)
Well, we’re now back safe & sound! The following took part in the trip…

Left home at 0630 Monday morning from Salisbury to meet up with McVicar at Magor Services on the M4. Got their early, had some brekkers, McVicar rocked up and we headed for Brecon to meet up with Andy. This took us through the Valleys, past Merthyr and the scenic route through the Beacons. It was during this stage McVicar decided the Varadero needed a rest on its side (sorry mate, got that one in early). Surprisingly, despite being made from 95% plastic, the bike escaped relatively unscathed with just a broken rear indicator. A trip to the nearest newsagent to buy sellotape resulted in a swift repair. And probably increased the value of the bike...

Onward and upwards, we met Andy at Brecon Golf Club and proceeded to make our way towards St David’s on the west coast. Stopped for lunch in a pub along the way. Weather started getting bad. Real bad. By the time we hit the coast it was decidedly cheeky. Below is Newgale sands.

On arrival at the Bunkhouse, Andy made a cracking Spagbol as we dried out. Bunkhouse had good facilities and the farmer was a top bloke. Let us keep the bikes in a barn out of the weather and offered us the use of his landline phone (no mobile signal). Bunkhouse details are:
----Celtic Camping
----Pwll Caerog Farm
----Gr Ref: SM 78644 30166
----Tel: 01348 837 405
----http://www.celtic-camping.co.uk/bunk.htm
----£10 per person per night (Breakfast £3 extra)

Woke up to a glorious day – made our way across the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park.

Stopped off at Cardigan for a bacon roll before making along the coast to Aberystwyth.

Headed for Machynlleth to meet Lord Vader. Arrived at the café to find he was already there and had made good time from leaving Surrey early that morning – despite having witnessed an accident and having to wait around to provide a statement to the Peelers. Note the Tupperware sandwich boxes attached to all that blue plastic…

We then took a stunning route north up into and through Snowdonia National Park up until we reached Betws-y-Coed.

We unpacked at the bunkhouse and explored this sprawling metropolis.

Then it was time to get our best dancing trousers on and hit the Betws nightlife for a meal and a couple of half shandys.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited by Moderator)
Up at 8 the next morning for a full-monty breakfast and, heavy with hangover, we left for the ascent of Snowdon. Sadly Andy had to head back to Hereford first thing – an appointment with Crufts. Lord Vader couldn’t cope with the impending feat of endurance and retired to his bed for some more zzzzz’s. The Hardcore (me and McVicar) were adamant that we would not be beaten and made out way to Pen-y-Pass. 20 pant-filling minutes later (I rode pillion!) we arrived at the start and began the ascent.

The return back to earth proved McVicar to be as nimble as a mountain goat despite the hangover. Weather held off and a fun day was had by all. I think.

After another pant-filling 20 mins back to the bunk McVicar decided to retire to his scratcher for some well-earned gonk. As I have a far superior constitution I decided to skip the nap and go for a spin with the newly awoken schlafmeister Lord Vader. We rode through Llanberis Pass into LLanberis and back along the A5. Marvellous scenery and weather.

On return to the bunkhouse Lord Vader cooked and amazing curry noodle thingy and we attempted to drink some of the out-of-date Elephant Beer we had cheaply procured at midnight the previous night as they were throwing us out of the pub. It was growling so we hit the pub again. It wasn’t happening and after two pints we caved in like losers and had an early night.
Fresh from all that sleep we packed up and headed off for the next stage. We were not sad to leave the bunkhouse in Betws-y-Coed – it was functional but not much more. Details here:
---The Vagabond, Craiglan Road,
---Betws y Coed, LL24 OAW
---Gr Ref: SH 79516 56008
---Tel 01690 710850
---Mob 07870 918456
---]http://www.walestouristsonline.co.uk/snowdonia/bunkhouse/vagabond.html
---£17 per person per night including breakfast

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
For a while we thought the weather might give but we were wrong and it stayed nice. We headed for Caernarfon thought the National Park.

Fantastic castle…………

…….. and good coffee.

The next stage of our trip took us to south to Portmeirion and the weird Italian-style village made famous by the 60’s cult classic ‘The Prisoner’. McVicar pretended it was ‘after his time’ but he knew a surprising amount about it. Even many of the words…

We headed to Eric’s café, the infamous biker meet place at Tremadog but it was closed. We then headed south across the mountain passes for Rhayader and our final Bunkhouse.

Moments before arrival at the Bunkhouse Lord Vader’s Mighty Varadero decides to follow McVicar’s bikes example and went horizontal. XRV 750 beats the Tupperware heroes by 2 points to nil! The Flying Canary turns out to be a winner.
Next bunkhouse in the middle of the sticks is tops. We go shopping for food and booze and settle. Myself and Lord Vader rustle up fajitas.

We find some Top Trump cards which, strangely, Lord Vader seems uncannily good at.

Another good night, before up at dawn for coffee. The bunkhouse proprietor is fantastic – she cooks an A1 brekkers, washes up, etc. She even brought us a bottle of beer each after we arrived the previous night. And to top it off, she’s gorgeous! Details of the bunk here:
---Beili Neuadd, Rhayader, Powys, LD6 5NS.
---Gr Ref SN 99441 69851
---Tel 01597 810211

---http://www.midwalesfarmstay.co.uk/index/bunkbarn
---£12 per person per night (Breakfast £5 extra)
Well, we part company with Lord Vader who is staying nearby to meet with Mrs Vader. McVicar and I take a nice ride back via Builth Wells, Abergavenny, Monmouth and the Wye Valley.

Overall, a cracking few days – the weather and riding was fantastic. Thanks guys, I look forward to the Haggis Run in Summer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re: Wales Tour - Rideout Report - Part 3

The mighty three muskerters, well done wished I could have made it.

·
Registered
173 Posts

well done lads now i got a tear in my eye i got home sick so soon you wont hear from me cos i want another look at it, wish i was there.:blob5::blob5::blob5::headbang::headbang::headbang:

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts

Looks like you had a good trip guys. Great report and photos Richie. :D

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts

Great stuff guys, looks like you had a good time :thumbright: McVicar, how did you get on with the TKC's ?

cheers, Bob.

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts

great report guys :cool: not enough pics of that cool GS:D :D :D

·
Matron
12,080 Posts

Richie it look like you had a fantastic few days, sorry I couldn't join you yesterday but I had a little accident with Twinkletoes so spent the day trying to sort out a bent gear leaver and clutch.

Great photos and it looks like you had good weather

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

No worries Mabel, I hope your accident wasn't too serious. Look forward to meeting you sometime in the future.

By the way, you 're lucky to live in such a magnificent country :thumb:

M

·
0 Posts

Great stuff guys, looks like you had a good time :thumbright: McVicar, how did you get on with the TKC's ?

cheers, Bob.
I was scared of them on the first day but after that they were great. No problems on tarmac but soooooo much better than the Trailwings on any type of loose stuff. I am really pleased with them.

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts

I was scared of them on the first day but after that they were great. No problems on tarmac but soooooo much better than the Trailwings on any type of loose stuff. I am really pleased with them.

:D :thumbup: :blob:

·
Registered
10,746 Posts

Well What a great trip :D
I arrived back yesterday,Still no connection at home so i have to write this befor the boss comes back:)
My first long trip on my new Vara and i must say i am more than pleased:cool:
I still think she is not the prettyest? bike around but she tours better than my old RT1100 did.Coming back from wales yesterday 2up and fully packed( i weighed my paniers when i came home 2side and topbox 35kg) averaged 80 on the motorway in heavy winds and she did around 32 miles to the gallon.A bit more than my rt did but she has a lot more grunt for overtaking 2 up and deb says she likes the vara better comfort wise.
As i said the wind was a problem but she coped with side winds better than the rt (maybe cause of less fairing??)
Unfortunatly i do not have the time now to comment to much on our ride:D ;) ;)
but there are a few bits of info which richie seems to haved missed;) ;) ;)
Like the "High Altitude sickness" which prevented them from actually reaching the summit(or did he say it was cause of the low cloud cover.
I also can not remember reading about the "Banana Express":D :D
With regards to my "Tupperware boxes" , better them than "Biscuit Tins":D
Once i am back on line at home i will!!! post some pics which are,shall i say amusing.
p.s. macvicar how did the vid clips turn out????

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

...I also can not remember reading about the "Banana Express":D :D
....... I prefer the term 'flying canary' with optional 'banana boost'.

Oh, and I wont labour the point about that the XRV stayed vertical the whole time whereas the Vara's preferred - let's say - the odd bit of 'rest'!

;) ;)

By the way Pete, PM me your address - I still have your rechargeable batteries that I need to whack in the post.

·
Registered
10,746 Posts

I did not lay her down,just cornerd so hard i scraped the bottom of my paniers:D :D
Had a good trip back and deb coped better on the vara than on the rt:headbang: :headbang:
Result Can not wait for Scotland trip
p.s. deb mentioned its a long wait for the scotland trip so we are playing with the idea of a camping weekend in may
Intrested??
pm you now

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Guys, for future reference, if your report is going to be too long to fit into a single post... just split it up into parts and reply to yourself. It just keeps everything within a single thread. :thumbleft:

Nice photos! :)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guys, for future reference, if your report is going to be too long to fit into a single post... just split it up into parts and reply to yourself. It just keeps everything within a single thread. :thumbleft:

Nice photos! :)
Cheers Ian, my brainpower didn't stretch that far at the time. In retrospect I guess it's obvious!! :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts