Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I've just bought a 2001 XL650V Transalp and having just passed my test need a 33bhp restrictor kit for it. The dealerships seem to be on a scam, as they want to charge a small fortune for a certificate that is not required by law, proving that the kit has been fitted ! :mad:

If anyone out there has a servicable restrictor kit for the above bike and wants to sell it, please let me know.

Cheers,

Davy P

Updated 02/06/07

HAD TO BITE THE BULLET AND BOUGHT ONE GETTING IT FITTED BY A DEALER. GOT FLEECED, BUT THE WEATHER WAS TOO GOOD TO WAIT AROUND.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hiya Davey P

Did anyone contact you about
a 33bhp restrictor for 2001 XL650V Transalp?
I am looking for one myself, wondering if you could let us know how much the scammers were looking for at the dealership? Alternitavely if you were contacted about one for sale could you drop me a line.

Cheers

Jacko

S

·
0 Posts
Buying a used restrictor kit is completely pointless - it's the certificate of fitting that's the important thing for insurance (if not up-front, then in case of a claim), legality, licencing etc. What you're paying all the money for isn't just the certificate and kit (couple of rubber inlets and two large steel washers), it's the fitting which is a bu**er of a job on a TA.

If you don't care about having a certificate then why are you bothered about restricting the bike in the first place :confused: It's like riding a bike without a licence - you may be able to do what's important but if you don't have the approporiate document to prove it you're not complying with the law. Doesn't mean you can't ride, but you don't have the bit of paper to prove it. Either do it properly or don't do it at all. Dealers will charge around £250 to supply, fit and certificate the kit.

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
Yes, but I have been led to believe (by a dealer) that if you can prove that the bike is below 33hp (ie dyno) then the bike is legal.

If you are stopped when on a 33hp license, the police have the right/power to remove the bike from your posession & have the power checked.

Phil

S

·
0 Posts
Yes, but I have been led to believe (by a dealer) that if you can prove that the bike is below 33hp (ie dyno) then the bike is legal.

If you are stopped when on a 33hp license, the police have the right/power to remove the bike from your posession & have the power checked.

Phil
I don't honestly believe that the police are going to want to go to the trouble of getting a confiscated bike dyno'd. And if they do, they're not going to pay for it out of the kindness of their hearts - they'll pass the cost on to the owner, along (probably) with storage, transportation and administrative costs. All of which would undoubtedly come to considerably more than the cost of getting a kit fitted and certificated.

But it's up to the individual. Personally I wouldn't risk it, and in fact I threw away the restrictors when I removed them from my TA (they were fitted when I bought it) because I couldn't imagine that anyone would want them.

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
I don't honestly believe that the police are going to want to go to the trouble of getting a confiscated bike dyno'd. And if they do, they're not going to pay for it out of the kindness of their hearts - they'll pass the cost on to the owner, along (probably) with storage, transportation and administrative costs. All of which would undoubtedly come to considerably more than the cost of getting a kit fitted and certificated.

But it's up to the individual. Personally I wouldn't risk it, and in fact I threw away the restrictors when I removed them from my TA (they were fitted when I bought it) because I couldn't imagine that anyone would want them.

Sorry, didn't explain myself properly, if the police stop you (on a 'restricted' bike, they have the rights.....

This is irrelevant wether you have a certificate or not.

Phil

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hiya Davey P

Did anyone contact you about a 33bhp restrictor for 2001 XL650V Transalp?
I am looking for one myself, wondering if you could let us know how much the scammers were looking for at the dealership? Alternitavely if you were contacted about one for sale could you drop me a line.

Cheers

Jacko
Hi Jacko, I paid the local Honda dealership £170. The local independants, were between £5 to £10 cheaper, but I thought for that kind of money I'd rather get the Honda boys to do it. That way if they made a mess of fitting the kit, I had Honda to foot the repair bill. There was a used kit on E-Bay about a month ago that didn't sell. The vendor was looking £10 for it. If you put "33 BHP Transalp" on Google it might come up (even though the sale has finished)and you could then send the vendor a message to see if he still has it.
Don't worry about insurance companies not offering cover. I recently renewed my insurance and not one company asked me if the bike was restricted. However, in the event of a claim you will undoubtabley be asked if you can prove your bike was restricted.
As for the Police, if they suspect your bike isn't restricted they can seize it and put it through a Dyno test to check power output, but can only apply for costs through the courts if they find out your bike wasn't restricted and they're prosecuting you. I would imagine the only time they would go to the trouble of seizing the bike is if you were involved in a very serious/fatal RTC. At the end of the day, you are innocent until proven guilty, so the Police have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that your bike wasn't restricted.
I wouldn't condone anyone riding a bike that wasn't restricted if their licence required them to, road safety is an important issue. I just don't like the dealerships scamming the motorcycling public.
My advice would be to get a second hand kit, have it fitted by a qualified mechanic and have a dyno test carried out obtaining a receipt with the test result on it. Should keep everyone happy.

Good luck with getting the kit and safe biking!

Davy P

PS: I believe the restrictor kit for the Honda Deauville is the same as the one for the 650 Transalp.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Jacko, in case you haven't got a restrictor kit yet, there is presently a used kit for sale on E-Bay (07/09/07) for £10:00.

Regards, Davy P.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for noticing that davyp. Very much appreciated but got it done at the dealer for the certificate as i have 2yrs riding under restriction i feel it would be worth it in case of incident.
Thanks all the same

1 - 10 of 10 Posts