Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am looking for an AT (will be my first big bike - test on 19th of novemeber :rolleyes:) . I would ideally like a well used example as I dont have a massive budget but also in ride away condition. I have a my eye on ebay but thought it might be worth putting a post up in case someone was sitting on something waiting until spring!

:blob7:

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I've seen this, was wondering whether anyone thought this was a good candidate?

1993 HONDA Africa Twin XRV 750 | eBay

Thanks!!

That looks like a pretty nice AT. The cracked part of the front fairing is pretty much standard damage for an Africa Twin; remember they are old and often thrown along green lanes etc.

The usual caveat applies to this bike as with all AT's. The most important parts to check are the condition of the splines on the output shaft, which the front sprocket sits on. If it's welded on, or the splines are badly worn, this will cost you a lot of money. Next thing to check is the condition of the wheel rims with regard to corrosion, as this is another expensive repair. Apart from those major gremlins, if it rides straight, stops well, is complete and in good cosmetic order, you should be fine. If the bike is as good as it looks, I think the starting price is pretty fair.

I've bought items from this seller before (Luke) and he is an occasional member on here I believe. I had no problems at all, and everything I bought from him was exactly as described. He seemed to know his way around an AT and has had a few before. He's a bloody nice bloke, so it may well be worth having a drive over to see the bike before committing.

Good Luck, and let us know how you get on.

Bob

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That looks like a pretty nice AT. The cracked part of the front fairing is pretty much standard damage for an Africa Twin; remember they are old and often thrown along green lanes etc.

The usual caveat applies to this bike as with all AT's. The most important parts to check are the condition of the splines on the output shaft, which the front sprocket sits on. If it's welded on, or the splines are badly worn, this will cost you a lot of money. Next thing to check is the condition of the wheel rims with regard to corrosion, as this is another expensive repair. Apart from those major gremlins, if it rides straight, stops well, is complete and in good cosmetic order, you should be fine. If the bike is as good as it looks, I think the starting price is pretty fair.

I've bought items from this seller before (Luke) and he is an occasional member on here I believe. I had no problems at all, and everything I bought from him was exactly as described. He seemed to know his way around an AT and has had a few before. He's a bloody nice bloke, so it may well be worth having a drive over to see the bike before committing.

Good Luck, and let us know how you get on.

Bob
Thanks Bob thats great advice.

·
Wannabee Adventure Rider
227 Posts
Have you any more details about the bike?
What details do you need? Mileage is about 70k if you click on the link you will see how it is now.

Has MOT and (I think) some road tax left. Looks nice now recent trip to Cornwall here....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts