Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some info on bike gloves, Coat, trousers, gloves and boots, could any one please advise which are the warmest brand for winter biking?

Thanks.

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
It really depends how serious you are and distances.
Heated grips, muffs etc for the bike.
Branded bike gear.
You want to go further? Then gerbing heated insoles, vests etc.
I tried so many different gloves, but it comes down to heated grips and muffs if you can get the buggers to fit!
I do a round trip of 57 miles daily. If it were further, then heated in soles might be nice. Not needed on a boxer, as the cylinders keep your tootsies nice and toastie.
Thermal riding under gear if you wish, but geneerally, I've never had a problem with my body, it is hands, or drafts up wrists (cured now) or feet.

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
For serious winter riding it's got to be muffs and a gaucho for me, not the prettiest of combinations but keep you amazingly warm and protected from the elements.

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Tucano, make both the muffs and the gaucho, used them on some seriously cold trips, lowest temperature was heading to Milhau in January 2010, was toasty as long as I stayed on the bike :-D

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
I struggled with the left controls on my R65. Are you happy that the Tucano muffs should be okay? Obviously I appreciate you won't know exactly.

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
I bought a set designed for the 11xxGS and not a problem, rode from Liverpool to Algeceris before they came off ( no need for them after that) and not an issue
By

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
I bought a set designed for the 11xxGS and not a problem, rode from Liverpool to Algeceris before they came off ( no need for them after that) and not an issue with controls at all.

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
le
It really depends how serious you are and distances.
Heated grips, muffs etc for the bike.
Branded bike gear.
You want to go further? Then gerbing heated insoles, vests etc.
I tried so many different gloves, but it comes down to heated grips and muffs if you can get the buggers to fit!
I do a round trip of 57 miles daily. If it were further, then heated in soles might be nice. Not needed on a boxer, as the cylinders keep your tootsies nice and toastie.
Thermal riding under gear if you wish, but generally, I've never had a problem with my body, it is hands, or drafts up wrists (cured now) or feet.

Thanks every one for your advise, First of all, i am deadly serious, at 61 years of age, i am a coffin dodger and we coffin dodgers feel the cold much more so, than fit young people. I have only just gone back to bikes riding after 40 years....ish, so require something really good, i did a short bike ride a couple of days ago, wearing ordinary thinsulate gloves, by the end the 20 mile run, my fingers and toes were stinging a bit.

Could anyone tell me what muffs actually are?

And what heats the heated gloves, is it batteries? or does it plug in to the bikes electrics?

Thanks again to everyone.

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
le

Thanks every one for your advise, First of all, i am deadly serious, at 61 years of age, i am a coffin dodger and we coffin dodgers feel the cold much more so, than fit young people. I have only just gone back to bikes riding after 40 years....ish, so require something really good, i did a short bike ride a couple of days ago, wearing ordinary thinsulate gloves, by the end the 20 mile run, my fingers and toes were stinging a bit.

Could anyone tell me what muffs actually are?

And what heats the heated gloves, is it batteries? or does it plug in to the bikes electrics?

Thanks again to everyone.

I have just started to kit out for winter this week.

Handler muffs are a big waterproof furry cover that goes over your handguards and you put your hands in protecting them from cold wind and rain. A very worth while investment.

getgeared.co.uk/OXFORD_Deluxe_Motorcycle_Handlebar_Muffs

I've got a gerber heated vest, Yum Yum its like a radiator and plugs into the bike.

Heated gloves depends on the make. Jay has some that plug into the bike and he swears they are brilliant, you can get some that are battery powered but to be honest with my heated grips and handle bar muffs I've not needed heated gloves as well.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I find a heated vest makes a big difference. Ordinary bike jacket and trousers with their lining in plus wet gear over the top as wind protection. A buff round the neck and over my chin.
I use heated grips, they work for me with winter gloves though I have to admit I chose the car when its bad.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I bought a set designed for the 11xxGS and not a problem, rode from Liverpool to Algeceris before they came off ( no need for them after that) and not an issue with controls at all.

You did it twice? Must have been warm then. ;)

Thanks again to every one for all the good advice i have recieved here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts