Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Wow, worrying stuff Nick. Thanks for posting.
I have done the above on the odd occasion for whatever reason....
I certainly won't 'forget' in future.

I wonder if there is a grace period - ie, you sell a bike out of office hours, new owner rides it away as he'd already insured it, then something happens en route home?

It's ironic/worrying how those who have no assets can't be claimed against from the insurers but those who have assets risk losing everything in such situations :rolleyes:

Phil

sent from my 'phone

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
I have experienced something similar before the un-insured compensation scheme came into place

In short two prisoners released in that morning stole a Merc and drove it off the drive straight into my path. I hit the car in the rear door behind the driver while the car was still across my lane of the road. I was out of it and my pillion was thrown over the car sustaining a broken arm. My front wheel was firmly planted in the side of the Merc. Needless to say the two scotes fled and left the car where it came to rest part in my side and the rest on the other side of the road. There were witnesses to the incident.

Both bike and car were written off due to the dammage (I hit it at about 60mph)

The police caught the two later than day and they were back inside

Here lies the problem and the result of cascading:

The car was on HP. The theives were un-insured and did not own the vehicle. I was the only insured party in the accident. The HP company came after me with a damage to their vehicle private claim. I had to pay for legal aid which I could not afford so had to arrange a bank loan to cover what I had to pay. My insurers at the time were useless and after years of going back and forth we finally got to court. The police were in attendance and gave photographic evidence of where the vehicles were and a full account of what happended and how the scrotes were aprehended and sent back to prison. They even testified to confirm following their investigation there was no evidence that I was doing anything wrong.

The judge, who was biased against motorcyclists, gave his judgement that despite the evidence he believed that "as most motorcyclist do I was probably speeding" and awarded the damages 50:50. Fuming I protested and demanded the barrister challenge this but he wouldn't and I was warned about being in contempt of court.

My insurers would not cover the excess that I was supposed to pay above the legal expenses limit and legal aid limit.

I complained to the Law Society and refused to pay the fees and asked about how I could go about sueing the solicitor appointed - needless to say after they spoke to the solicitors and the insurance company all charges were dropped.

This did not help me as my bike was written off (I bought it back) but I lost weeks of pay while in hospital, damage to my clothing, and the scrotes were forced to pay me back at the rate of 50p per week - I never got a penny of it.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I did that when I sold the Yamaha it had one months insurance left on it, I had to call to cancel the auto renewal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts