Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Thought I'd better make people aware. Anyone who has done a recent engine re-build and used Wemoto gaskets.

I had an email from Wemoto last week regarding a full engine gasket kit I purchased earlier this year. Email goes as follows:

Sorry to bother you. With regards to your recent order for a full gasket
set. Please could I check if you have already fitted the base gasket from the
kit (The one that goes under the barell, below the piston) If so could you
tell me if you have experienced any problems? There may be a problem with an
oil hole in some of these sets. We are not sure if any we have sold are
affected.

Some sets include base gaskets from an earlier model (Please see picture
attached)

We would be grateful if you could let us know if you have fitted the set, and
if so, if you have experienced any problems.

They sent with the email a .pdf of two gaskets, the original Honda one and the replacement they supplied. The aftermarket one is missing a very small hole in the gasket. I have already built the engine and as it transpires they have supplied me with the wrong gasket so I'm looking at getting the heads and barrels off. Good job I'm a slow worker and its not in the frame...... I never realised the gaskets were different (tho they are a different colour) as I'd lobbed the originals in the bin (eventually found them at the bottom of the bin to compare with the photo).

Be aware, after discussion with Wemoto they recon that the inferior gasket could cause engine damage after approx 10 minutes running!!!

I'm happy to post the pdf with the details but someone will need to tell me how.
Hope this hasn't affected anyone else, especially if you work faster than me and have your rebuild almost finished.

Will update my rebuild thread soon, one the frame is coated and I have re-rebuilt the top end of the engine.......

Regards, Chris

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Hi all
Thought I'd better make people aware. Anyone who has done a recent engine re-build and used Wemoto gaskets.

I had an email from Wemoto last week regarding a full engine gasket kit I purchased earlier this year. Email goes as follows:

Sorry to bother you. With regards to your recent order for a full gasket
set. Please could I check if you have already fitted the base gasket from the
kit (The one that goes under the barell, below the piston) If so could you
tell me if you have experienced any problems? There may be a problem with an
oil hole in some of these sets. We are not sure if any we have sold are
affected.

Some sets include base gaskets from an earlier model (Please see picture
attached)

We would be grateful if you could let us know if you have fitted the set, and
if so, if you have experienced any problems.

They sent with the email a .pdf of two gaskets, the original Honda one and the replacement they supplied. The aftermarket one is missing a very small hole in the gasket. I have already built the engine and as it transpires they have supplied me with the wrong gasket so I'm looking at getting the heads and barrels off. Good job I'm a slow worker and its not in the frame...... I never realised the gaskets were different (tho they are a different colour) as I'd lobbed the originals in the bin (eventually found them at the bottom of the bin to compare with the photo).

Be aware, after discussion with Wemoto they recon that the inferior gasket could cause engine damage after approx 10 minutes running!!!

I'm happy to post the pdf with the details but someone will need to tell me how.
Hope this hasn't affected anyone else, especially if you work faster than me and have your rebuild almost finished.

Will update my rebuild thread soon, one the frame is coated and I have re-rebuilt the top end of the engine.......

Regards, Chris
Always pays to use OEM gaskets, filters and consumables anything else is inferior and th eare the most importants parts of making things run properly and smoothly

·
Registered
26 Posts
The basegaskets they supplied are for the Mk 1 Bros 650/AT RD03 which have external oil feeds to the heads,so needless to say there would have been major topend damage had you fired her up

1 - 3 of 3 Posts