Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, was washing the alp 650 yesterday, After spraying on some muc off onto the rear wheel to clean of old lube fly off etc. I washed off the back end with a hosepipe set on a heavy spray. Afterwards the bike wouldnt start but would turnover until I heard a big bang from the rear end. It sounded like a big single backfire? Engine leads, killswitch all on/off I believe so I'm supposing I may have put some water from the hose down the original pipe silencers? i didn't actually see that if that were the case.
Would that be a likely situation for the backfire and now the bike starter motor not turning mutch at all. Just about one turn then a click and nothing. First few attempts before the big bang turned it as you would expect but no sound of a fire in the engine. Battery now may be getting low as the bike hadn't been ran for a couple of weeks (bar a 15 min warm up on idle, ironically 1st thing that morning, started easily and first time).
Idea's please assuming i left my brain in bed yesterday morning and put some water down the rear silencers without looking!
kmac :(
p.s. the angle of the rear silencer/pipe setup does look as if it could be a lot easier to do than you might think if you're being a bit careless with a hose washing off the back end!?

·
Administrator
6,922 Posts
If you look carefully, there's a drain small hole at the bottom (lowest point) of the silencer. So, no real chance of filling up the exhaust with water, from a hosepipe or otherwise.

Check the simple things first -

Are the battery contacts clean and tight?

Are there any loose or corroded earth contacts, especially on the starter motor?

Are the contacts on the starter solenoid clean, un-corroded and tight?

By the way, the starter solenoid is with the battery under the right hand side panel.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the input Lutin.
If I hadn't have started the bike first time and running perfectly etc. that morning, I might have been thinking about loose connections but at the moment I'm not so sure. What was the big bang I heard seemingly at the back? If I had inadvertantly put a brief( but powerful) stream of water down the silencers, could that have filled the cat converter at the lowest point and caused the back fire? is there a drain whole down there?
kmac
(Wishing he knew more about mechanics!)

·
Registered
897 Posts
You have probably got water into the ignition system somewhere most likely the HT side the plug caps/HT leads may be drenched try giving them a good spray with WD40
The bang you heard in the silencer could have been fuel exploding when a cylinder managed to fire the odd stroke.
If the bike had started with alot of water in the silencer what had not got out of the drain hole would just have been blown out.

Chris

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
have checked the ht leads on both side plugs. bone dry under the covers and dry on top of the plug. plug tight into cylender heads. no connections appear loose or corroded so I'm at a loss at the moment! i saw the little hole mentioned by Lutin near the bottom of the silencer but that is still some way above the cat so could there be water in the cat as its the lowest point in the system?

·
Registered
897 Posts
have checked the ht leads on both side plugs. bone dry under the covers and dry on top of the plug. plug tight into cylender heads. no connections appear loose or corroded so I'm at a loss at the moment! i saw the little hole mentioned by Lutin near the bottom of the silencer but that is still some way above the cat so could there be water in the cat as its the lowest point in the system?
Don't think water in the exhaust system would stop it firing it would start and blast it out, (but I will stand correcting) would still say you have water shorting out the electrics somewhere, give them a good dose of WD40 including switches.

Personally I hardly ever use a hose and if I do its on a dribble, I never use a power washer all they do is force water into all the nooks and cranies and takes forever to dry out, guess if you go off road you will need one but thats the only time I would use it.

Always run my bikes in oily rag condition wether they are old or new they never look the shiniest but they are'nt busy rotting either.

Chris

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks chris, Been looking at it today between the countless rain showers on and off since Friday (What a country!) as I've no garage/shelter! Frustrating but I guess most of us have been there. Will try to give things a good check and spray with wd40 when the next shower passes. A friend bringing over a battery charger this pm to see what state the battery is in at the mo. I think Lutin and you are right re the electrics and not water in the exhaust as the bike didn't really fire properly in the first instance.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Be carefull how you charge the battery a too big/fast charge may damage it, some car battery charges will do just that.
The original fitment battery on my 650 required a 5.5amp/1hr as a quick charge I took that to be a maximum.

Chris

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I gave the bike electrics a good spray of wd40 and we checked the battery with an optimate charger. It showed the battery charge good but still no start/turnover. The starter motor hardly turning over but just a clicking from the solenoid near the battery. decided to bump start the bike. Started 2nd bump, warmed up engine and switched off and its starting immediately on the button now!
Maybe the wd 40/heat from the engine has dispersed some water from the electrics but I dont realy know! It has been damp and I may have been too liberal with the hose rinsing the bike but its working....so I'll take that!
thanks to Lutin and T Alp for your advice guys.
kmac :thumb:

·
Registered
454 Posts
The back fire is caused by unburned fuel igniting in the exhaust.

So its definitely a wet connector, spray everything with wd40.

Paying close attention to all ignition parts including the cdi.

A water filled exhaust gives a very quiet burble. :thumb:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Good stuff sounds like you got the problem :thumbup: but stand by with the WD just incase it resorts back to not starting when everything has gone cold.
I never ever went touring without the WD40 it saved me more than once with a drowned engine in heavy weather.

Chris

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
It is also a possibility that the backfire caused the starter motor to stick, that would cause the solenoid to click as it will not be able to spin the starter.
Once the engine started on the bump everything could return to normal positions.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Stumpyfingers, that explains a lot. I had no idea that a starter motor could stick but thats the magic of the forum! ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts