Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to change my coolant recently and found that when i replaced the drain bolt with a new washer it wouldn't tighten properly. I removed the bolt and found that what appeared to be the thread from inside the drain bolt hole had come away and onto the bolt. I decided to buy a new bolt to try that, but alas, the same problem, it wouldn't tighten. So logically, i decided it was the bolt hole thread that had corroded, so i found a second hand water pump and bought it. I just fitted the new water pump casing (as that's what the drain hole is housed on) + new gasket. All went on well, then put my new bolt and new washer in the hole and the same freaking thing happened again!!! The thread from the drain bolt hole came off onto the bolt and it wouldn't tighten, I made the sure the bolt was aligned properly and used a soft approach when tightening. So now i own 2 useless water pump covers.... It looks like a brand new one costs hundreds of pounds. Money I simply don't have.

Have I just been extremely unlucky here or has anyone heard of this problem before.... I'm on a 2003 Transalp 650 . Bike in good nick and works well apart from this problem...

Here are some photo's of the bolt when I tired to tighten it this morning, you can see the thread has come off onto the bolt....

Thanks for any help or info,
Joe, UK, Leeds

IMAG0772.jpg IMAG0773.jpg IMAG0774.jpg IMAG0775.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies chaps. So i guess the cheapest way forward would be use use some kind of sealant, then when it comes time to replace the coolant in the future just detach one of the pipes and drain from there? Run some Distilled water through the engine with it running briefly...

For the kind of metal casing the water pump is made from, what would be the most reliable sealant I could use?

Thanks again, it's looking like it's not going to cost me an arm and a leg after all Phew :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
Are there any threads left in there?
If so, a bolt with some stud lock.
A helicoil would be a good, cheapish solution, or tapping to m8 if there is enough metal.
Liquid metal/quick steel etc would be a bodge but no reason why it couldn't provide a decent fix with decent prep, although I'd remove the cover and 'mushroom' it on the inside (checking for clearance).
The cooling system only runs at about 1 bar/15psi.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
mmm... rather worrying.

maybe the material the 650cc water pump is made from degrades over time? i have drained the coolant from 1990 600cc Transalps and have never come across this problem.

a Transalp 600, NTV600, NTV 650 or Deauville 650 water pump may also work. compare the parts diagrams on www.bike-parts-honda.com

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
There is some thread yes, just get's to the end grips a tiny bit then pushes through and doesn't lock properly, keeps going round and round when the bolt is fully in. You reckon this stuff could create a water tight seal that would withstand 15psi? > https://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/adhesives/bearing-fit-studlock-10g#reviewDetails
It really would be hard to say.
Other than another replacement, I think a proper repair (Helicoil etc) would be top of the list, with a decent liquid metal type repair next and stud locking a bolt in as a last resort - especially if their is little existing thread.

Firstly, I'd look into why two sets of threads have stripped, needless to say they shouldn't.
That bolt doesnt look like the correct item to, too long and the 'nib' at the end - I'm fairly sure the original has kind of slightly serrated threads (shakeproof?).

Is the copper washer there?

I'm wondering if you are screwing a slightly too long bolt into a blind hole or one that isn't threaded enough for a longer bolt.
It is only alloy, so only needs a gentle 'nip up'

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well firstly I tried putting the same bolt back in the hole, that didn't grip and some of what looks like the thread came out with it. Then I ordered the correct part number, I looked it up on the Honda website and used the correct part number. The same thing happened with the new bolt, so this would lead me to think that the metal has degraded or that it had been fixed in place with some kind of sealant in the first place. But then for the same thing to happen with another (second hand) water pump cover is quite strange...

Yes the washer was there. I ordered a new one and used that when re-fitting the bolts.

I think i might go for the Sealant option as i have no money to spare at the moment and need to get back on the Road. And keep the Spare water pump cover in case it goes wrong.... I'd be surprised if this same thing hasn't happened to other people in the past, it happening to me twice doesn't make sense to me. Really that points to it being my human error, but I can't figure out what I might have done wrong...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts