Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Hill Rider
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All started well with an overcast sky but dry roads. Met up with a man with a big 1150GSA in Aviemore some 50 dry miles later. Then it all got a lot soggy for quite some time. Within 12 miles of leaving Aviemore we were hiding under a road bridge cos the sky had fallen – that’s what it felt like, there was so much water hitting the ground around us. As we sat on our bikes watching the rainfall get heavier & heavier, we were also able to watch the puddle that was forming at our feet grow deeper & deeper, minute by minute! But within a few minutes the rian seemed to have reduced its assault on the ground, so we “maned up2 up headed off . . . . . . only to ride into another wall of water less than 100yards into Kigussie. This was accompanied by raw sewage gushing down the road . . . . Welcome to Scotland in summer :rolleyes:.
These deluges were to be the theme of the day, interspersed with long spells of drying out dryness. The twisties down to Dalwhinnie via Laggan proved to the 1150GSA riding manny that the young upstart F800GS was a bit quicker around them there bendy bits of roads!
I seem to recollect that we made it all the way to Glen Lyon without getting any wetter than we had been in Kingussie, which was nice cos it allowed us to dry out before the next, inevitable drowning.
F800GS trying to hide from another drowning

The main group of riders had decided to take the slow and very scenic route to get to the tea room, so when they did eventually arrive, 1150GSA manny & me had slurped our soup, supped our tea and nibbled our way through several other local treats.
Supposed to be a XRV gathering, I think! One BMW, two BMW, 3 BMW, 4. Oh then a Transalp ;)

LWR parked up with his mates! :thumbup:

Not a pretty site – an old man with his teeth out slurping soup, whilst Boris lectures LWR about the benefits of BMW riding :confused:

After banter, tale swapping and some soup for the late comers, a route home was sorted . . over Ben Lawyers, with the Highland contingent turning left at Loch Tay and the Lowlanders turning right. Waves were waved and wheels turned for our respective destinations. I’d like to mention at this point that we were all still dry, after sunning ourselves at Glen Lyon. I like mentioning it cos it’s the only mention of sun in this whole write up!
1150GSA manny, LWR & me headed for Kenmore and onto some really nice small roads over some hills . . . don’t ask me where they are as I’ve no idea . . .I was just following 1150GSA manny! We ended up heading towards Dunkeld when we spotted the next wall of water heading our way (or were we just riding to it?). Once more into the breach rode the 3 nutters!
At Dunkeld LWR headed east away from the deluge! Me and one other headed into the depths of the downpour. By this stage it turns out that neither of us could see very well due to water inside & outside our visors – made for a slow, wet ride to Blairgowrie, where we re-fueled and tried to work out who was the wettest. It was a draw – we were both soaked. Onwards rode the insipid riders into the relentless downpour – we still had 90 miles to go. Up & over Glenshee we sloshed, avoiding all the washed off sand and grit that seemed to cover every bend.
At Dufftown 1150GSA manny & me bade each other fairwell whilst dripping into the gutter that was already full of running rain water. I head further north and low, I find myself riding on dry roads for the last 10 miles home! Turns out that it hasn’t rained at home all day, since I left actually! Fecking typical.
280 miles on lastest stead – ACE – apart from the seat! Whats that new craze that youngsters are doing?

Ah yes! Planking

Steve T

:cool:

·
Registered
94 Posts
water torture..or scotland summer time you wrote.......................The're joined at the hip!
Great ride report Steve.
Would have loved to ride with you guys but maybe in better health. Ill all this weekend (will spare you the details) and I believe snorkels should only be used on 4x4 vehicles and not to be worn inside motorbike helmets!! :p

Do Corbin do seats fro the F800GS! If not I'm sure Tourateccy will!

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
A nice run oot.

Met up with Boris and his daughter at 10AM and went up by Knockhill and Glendevon to Crieff. From there we took the road to Amulree turning left just as you enter the village on to a brilliant wee road that takes you to Kenmore. About halfway across we met Craig and Mike who had stopped to enjoy the view as shown in the picture below.
v1.jpg

After a *** and a natter we went down to Kenmore turning left and going along another single track road to Killin. From Killin it was up through Glen Lyon past the dams where once again we had a stop for pictures. This has to be the biggest water feature in Scotland. :D
water1.jpg

water2.jpg

Time was moving on so it was off to Bridge of Balgie tearoom to meet Steve and Andy(another one) and partake of some soup, bread and coffee.

After the feeding and blethering was done we all went over by Ben Lawer to Killin where the northeners headed north and us southerners went south, all in all, a really nice days biking. :thumbright:

PS I am sure others will have more/better pictures than me.:D

Andy.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Was LWR banished to the side lines because he dared turn up on a Honda :hitler:

Wet but home safely can't be a bad day then ....

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
well done !!

I was in the Car and headed North to Elgin way.. not far from your place Steve at the play barn with my Daughter and Grandson... left wet Aberdeenshire and into Sunny Moray.... as we headed back it got gloomier and we arrived into Alford to meet a 2 foot wall of water down the road , as a burn had took the easy option of using the road, filling the Drains. popping the manhole covers and joining the stream of Poo .....

I had to drive through this torrent up hill !!!! got to our place , and the house was dry and fine, but I think a few folk in the village did not fair as well

some rain .. but zip North of the Lecht?

well done :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Re: A nice run oot.

Nice one Andy, looks like the southerns ducked the rain that Steve T got, sorry to have missed out hay-ho always a next time. The water feature is rather impressive an indication of the amount of rain we have had of recent.

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts

Nice pic of the dam Andy :thumbup:
Surprised there were'nt a couple of rainbows flying through that pipe :D

Sorry couldn't make it :(, maybe next time :thumb:

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
As Ray said well done :thumb: ( Thank fek I couldn't make it :D ) --- only joking guys, I would have loved to have got soaked through to my nether regions, just the job for the old Duke of Argyles ;):D

It wasn't so bad here, at least we finally got the Scottish Open finished, some English guy won it :D

Go away now and get some Horlicks down yer :D

·
Bling Tastic Transalp
1,362 Posts

Wow , epic day ..

Leaving this morning , with fine dry weather .

Met up with Marra at Dunkeld

We had a chinwag and then headed west , to the awesome road (Glen Quiach) ..

Stopped at the top for pictures.

Soon After we see couple of bikers coming over the hill..

Yip , the rest of party just turned up , Boris his Daughter, Jenifer and Outrunner..

Passing some time at the top we then headed down to kenmore .

The south side of Loch Tay (single track) the road was damp , some gravel, deer , tourists .. But we made it to Killin (we were at this point running late)

Up over the Hill track , to Glen Lyon .

We stopped at the Dam for some pictures.

Then we headed for Bridge of Balgie (now running even later) ..

SOrry SteveT , we were Late ..

Steve and his Mate (Andy) were waiting for us , After a quick lunch .

We headed over Ben Lawers Road , Excellent single track road again . weather was nice .

Splitting up at Loch tay , Stevet , andy and myself , headed for kenmore again .

Up Over the Awesome road , to Glen Quiach (second time in a day) .. at the end of the glen , drove into Tropical rain ..

At Denkeld , we split up , steve and andy heading for Glen Shee . I headed for petrol and dry gloves (spare gloves are handy) and summer gloves soaked .

Stopped at Forfar for cappuccino at McD , the spirited ride back to aberdeen through more tropical rain , thunder / lighting ..

Go home safe and sound , great day . soaking wet but had a smile on my face .

Thanks for a great ride out guys .. good company , great roads .

LWR

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Yes a good day for us.. Andy, Myself and Jennifer headed north in mixed weather skirting round the T in the Park traffic and ending up on a smashing little road (Amulree - Kenmore) with a few steep hairpins. It was interesting riding not helped by some **** in a 4x4 stopping in a passing place on one of the steepest parts of the road to chat to the occupants of another car coming the other way. Much slipping of clutches required to get going again. We then by chance met Craig and Mike on the same road a bit sooner than was planned.

Along the single track road that skirts the south side of Loch Tay then up and over some potholed roads with a couple of sections eroded away by the rains.

At the Dam at Loch Lyon

A bit later than planned we met up with the other half of the GS owners club and had a smashing bowl of soup and bread in the tearoom at Bridge of Balgie. Then homewards via Strathyre and Callander

Thanks for organising Craig. All in all a great day

·
Bling Tastic Transalp
1,362 Posts
Wow , epic day ..

Leaving this morning , with fine dry weather .

Met up with Marra at Dunkeld

We had a chinwag and then headed west , to the awesome road (Glen Quiach) ..

Stopped at the top for pictures.

Soon After we see couple of bikers coming over the hill..

Yip , the rest of party just turned up , Boris his Daughter, Jenifer and Ourunner..

Passing some time at the top we then headed down to kenmore .

The south side of Loch Tay (single track) the road was damp , some gravel, deer , tourists .. But we made it to Killin (we were at this point running late)

Up over the Hill track , to Glen Lyon .

We stopped at the Dam for some pictures.

Then we headed for Bridge of Balgie (now running even later) ..

SOrry SteveT , we were Late ..

Steve and his Mate (Andy) were waiting for us , After a quick lunch .

We headed over Ben Lawers Road , Excellent single track road again . weather was nice .

Splitting up at Loch tay , Stevet , andy and myself , headed for kenmore again .

Up Over the Awesome road , to Glen Quiach (second time in a day) .. at the end of the glen , drove into Tropical rain ..

At Denkeld , we split up , steve and andy heading for Glen Shee . I headed for petrol and dry gloves (spare gloves are handy) and summer gloves soaked .

Stopped at Forfar for cappuccino at McD , the spirited ride back to aberdeen through more tropical rain , thunder / lighting ..

Go home safe and sound , great day . soaking wet but had a smile on my face .

Thanks for a great ride out guys .. good company , great roads .

LWR

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
As always.
Great videos Craig

1 - 16 of 16 Posts