Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen or used these waterproof satnav covers on a bike.
Buy Cheap Sat Nav Garmin TomTom Navman Car Entertainment & Audio - Reviews UK Buy Cheap Sat Nav Garmin TomTom Navman Snooper offers

Make any cheap satnav waterproof , save on buying a premium waterproof unit !

This 100% waterproof motorbike equipment enables to adapt all car GPS on a motorbike and for outdoor activities.
The GPSbag out of Neoprene resists vibrations, shocks and rain, it is 100% waterproof !
NEW ! Chose your configuration ! This GPSbag is now delivered without earphones so that each pack can be individually composed with choice amongst three audio systems in fonction of GPS and helmet.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Those look quite good, as I have a Nuvi 255w I would be interested in one :thumbright:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Not used the one above but I've made various covers for my TomTom GO 520 over the years to keep it dry.

The TomTom is mounted in a ram mount and the simplest solution was using plastic CD wallets which were functional and cheap but they didn't really fit that well at the corners and scratched up easily. I have now made some slip on covers using plastic (acetate I think) sheet and moulded it using heat to the shape of the unit. It doesn't make the unit totally waterproof (you couldn't dunk it in water) but it does protect it from torrential rain when in the mount.

I'll take some photos if it would help

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Depending on the type of GPS system you have the 99p stores sell waterproof holders for mobile phones and cigarettes ETC these look like these could easily be adapted to hold certain GPS units.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Is it time I trotted this out again? ;-)

:sign5::sign5::sign5:

Classic.................. but may well try that one ............. well not that one coz its used :D:D:D

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Here's my home made setup. The satnav fits in the sleeve and then the whole kaboodle clips into the ram mount.

The bottom of the sleeve is left open to allow the charging and intercom cables to connect this would also provide an escape route for water should any get in. (It hasn't to date)

You do still get some reflections but nowhere nearly as bad as you do with poly bags.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts

·
???
495 Posts
I think I shall go down the DIY route for satnav - but I am in a bit of a pickle :confused:

Before heating plastic sheeting to the GPS - first I need a GPS :blob7:

So any recommendations for a GPS untit that is readily available that:
  • Has a good battery life so I neednt hard wire it in.
  • And has a specific mount that can be used to fix it in.
I guess the third parameter should be cheapish - otherwise I may as well buy a specific M/C GPS.

On the plus side - I do have a heat gun and some clear plastic :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I think I shall go down the DIY route for satnav - but I am in a bit of a pickle :confused:

Before heating plastic sheeting to the GPS - first I need a GPS :blob7:

So any recommendations for a GPS untit that is readily available that:
  • Has a good battery life so I neednt hard wire it in.
  • And has a specific mount that can be used to fix it in.
I guess the third parameter should be cheapish - otherwise I may as well buy a specific M/C GPS.

On the plus side - I do have a heat gun and some clear plastic :thumbup:
To clarify things plastic is formed into a sleeve that fits over the TomTom and is left open at the bottom. This allows me to remove the sleeve so I can use the Satnav in the car as well as letting the cables for charging and to my intercom still connect to the SatNav.

I picked a TomTom 520 a couple of years ago as it has a large screen, it was cheap at the time (£160 at the airport) and as standard it had a MP3 player, some control over my phone and pretty much the best route planning software out there. It comes with UK and Ireland maps as standard other maps (and loads of MP3s) can be added via SD card. I don't think the battery life is that great but I have wired mine into the bike so that's not a problem.

It's not the easiest to use with gloves on but with a straight road and a bit of care it can be done.

The mount that comes with the TomTom is no use on the bike but RAM make one and it's really solid and neat (see photo in this thread) I think it was about £30-£30 complete.

If you are going to the national in Ullapool I'll be there so you can have a look at my setup.

·
???
495 Posts
Thanks Boris

Maybe I should just wire the thing in and be done with it - whatever the thing ends up being that is :confused:

I would love to be at the National, alas I cannot make it on account of me being in South Devon and the last time I visited Ullapool was about 10 years ago and it took foreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever :(.

Poor excuse I know. :rolleyes:

:p

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Thanks Boris

Maybe I should just wire the thing in and be done with it - whatever the thing ends up being that is :confused:

:p
Well if you plan to hear the route instructions or listen to MP3s you will probably have a cable for your intercom anyway so might as well add power to charge the thing at the same time. I have mine connected via a patch cable that can be removed along with the SatNav if being left outside overnight. Again you can see it going to the splash proof connector in the left hand fairing inner.

Actually the TomTom I have will connect to a bluetooth module thingy for the instructions and music but I've never tried it so cannot comment. It also has a fm transmitter but I can't see that being much use on a bike.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been playing with SatNav devices and waterproofing them for ever it seems. Always searching for the right answer even before there was an official answer in terms of the TomTom Rider.

The definitive answer seems to be to get a bike specific device, but they do cost an arm and a leg as you know!
The best compromise has to be the Road Angel Navigator as the battery lasts 8 hours or so, but the Sat Nav software isn't great and compared to todays widescreen devices its a little small.

The Otter boxes or Ram waterproof boxes are great, but.... they are still a compromise in seeing the device screen through them.

Also tried sandwich bags and they keep the item dry but again you can't see through very well.

My Zumo 660 is the ultimate solution... I hope! if it ever gets here that is.

·
???
495 Posts
You guys have the experience though... I have two major issues with fitting satnav to a bike
  1. I know feck all about satnav!
  2. I know feck all about bikes!
Time to learn I guess :p

·
Registered
485 Posts
As an alternative..and a cheap one at that...I have a friend who imports Sat Navs that accept TOM TOM onto them. They are £85.00 including the TOM TOM 7 on them and and have a whole raft of other features including Safety Camera alerts, various Voices and various mounts (suction) & chargers for the car, it also has an MP3 player and maps of Europe too- although I think UK & Ireland is standard ( whole of Europe is £7.00 more). They are new, but postage is extra.(about £5.00)

I have had one on my bike for the last 2 years and it works well. Now regarding the covers- I use a sandwich bag with the luxury snappy seal end- allowing the leads to run out!:thumb:- thats luxury for you!

However Givi offer a bike universal mount at the same price as the one first mentioned by DaveS- heres the link- they are about £35.00- but cant speak for them as I have not had one

News

If you need a sat nav cheap- pm me

1 - 19 of 19 Posts