Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I'm considering a weekend around north wales and the peak district staying centrally around Oswestry.

Have you any recommendations for roads to visit or even avoid.

How prolific are speed cameras?

What is the likelyhood of getting stopped by the police?
Someone told me both areas are nogo areas at the weekend because ramblers complain. Any truth in the matter?

I specifically want to travel from Oswestry to Sheffield early on the Sunday to visit someone before heading after lunch to Birkenhead for the ferry (22.00 hrs) back to Northern Ireland. So a fairly quick route sugguestion would be welcome for Sunday morning, preferably avoiding motorway as much as possible.

Although I have accomodation arranged in a hostel have you any recommendations, preferably keeping the cost down and bike security important factors.

Sorry its such a long list but as you can tell I'm not familier with riding in England or Wales.

Thanks
Graeme

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hi all

I'm considering a weekend around north wales and the peak district staying centrally around Oswestry.

Have you any recommendations for roads to visit or even avoid.

How prolific are speed cameras?

What is the likelyhood of getting stopped by the police?
Someone told me both areas are nogo areas at the weekend because ramblers complain. Any truth in the matter?

I specifically want to travel from Oswestry to Sheffield early on the Sunday to visit someone before heading after lunch to Birkenhead for the ferry (22.00 hrs) back to Northern Ireland. So a fairly quick route sugguestion would be welcome for Sunday morning, preferably avoiding motorway as much as possible.

Although I have accomodation arranged in a hostel have you any recommendations, preferably keeping the cost down and bike security important factors.

Sorry its such a long list but as you can tell I'm not familier with riding in England or Wales.

Thanks
Graeme
Graeme re. leaving Oswestry for Sheffield, think I would be heading over to Congleton then either up to Macclesfield then you can go across to Buxton over the famous cat and fiddle run ( too mickey mouse for me!)
or A54 congleton to Buxton more direct slower road.

Then from Buxton you can zig zag your way across the peak district try and find time to look at Eyam its where the black plague started in the north! and Castleton famous for the blue john mines both are tourist spots.

Or if you want to skirt more round the edge of the peak district go up from Buxton to Glossop then turn right on the A57 snake pass takes you all the way to Sheffield (its a famous fast road so watch for nutters in cars) after you have gone over the best part of it you pass the Lady Bower res. and up the valley to the left is where the dambusters practised for their WW2 attack on the german dams.

The peak district is a great place for me, but be warned you cannot ride it like I used to do, most of that area is watched by the police from the air now, the cat and fiddle and the snake pass being the hot spots,that does'nt bother me these days as I ride steady enjoy your trip it will be worthwhile. ------ Chris

1 - 2 of 2 Posts