Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front break seems to fade and then come back when breaking causing the bike to seesaw when coming to a halt. I think the break disc may be warped but visually it looks fine.

Any ideas? It is a transalp XL650 2005.

I have only had the bike a week and had a Hornet with stiff sports suspension before which handled very differently so I may be imagining things.

·
Womble
180 Posts
If the fading and coming back is happening quickly - ie once per wheel revolution - then yes it could be a warped disk. It doesn't take much to make the warping noticeable when braking but it can be hard to see.

You can get a mechanic check the discs to see if there is any warping or you can get an idea by spinning the front wheel and listening to see if you can hear the pads rub against the disc at a certain point as the wheel rotates. The pads should lightly brush against the disc but if there is a noticeable rubbing at one point then it's sounding more like a warp. If it sticks suddenly at a particular point regularly that is an indication where the warping is.

If you think the disc is warped then I'd get it checked - it may be possible to skim the disc to 'restore' it or you may need a new disc.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

Would a warped disk be an MOT failure? I was sold the bike recently with an MOT and to me the feeling of bouncing as I am coming to a halt does not exactly scream safety!

·
nunquam scienter utilis
665 Posts
If it is outside limits, then YES it will fail an MOT. I don't know what the limits are however.

·
A Dad with longlegs
226 Posts
Sounds like the brakes have been sticking on. This is what happens when the bike is left with the pads binding. I'd take a look at the brake cylinders as well.
My AT was like that when I bought it. It failed the MOT, promised as part of the sale, and the dealer fitted new discs and pads.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The disc could have warped after passing the MoT. Also check for contamination of the braking surfaces, perhaps by copper grease if used on the caliper.

·
Registered
174 Posts
could be a warped disc - you tend to feel it through the brake lever

could also be pad build up on the disc, the pad material can stick at different thicknesses on the disc, enough to be noticeable

these are signs of hard use - surprising on something like a transalp

obvious answer is to take it back if it was from a dealer - but if it was a private sale bite the bullet and take it to local mechanic, or if you have any ability put some new pads and discs on - they are consumables after all ( and pretty important at that)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Front brake problems are not a big deal . Rebuilding calipers are a two day job, unless you are unlucky , needing Honda brake grease and seals plus new pads and discs. No point in upgrading them until you put in new fork springs and fork oil. Slow down its cheaper!!.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My front break seems to fade and then come back when breaking causing the bike to seesaw when coming to a halt. I think the break disc may be warped but visually it looks fine.

Any ideas? It is a transalp XL650 2005.

I have only had the bike a week and had a Hornet with stiff sports suspension before which handled very differently so I may be imagining things.
just spray with WD40 and use feet!! Don't!!:toothy7:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I have one caliper that seems to seize every now and then.
I would check the caliper mounts to ensure they are tight and free to move as intended.

·
Registered
58 Posts
just spray with WD40 and use feet!! Don't!!:toothy7:
sorry just a wezzzzz, wiggle the calipure . Does it move? If not use freeing Agent i.e. WD40 and then greace all areas pins included. if that don't work new discs are on the books me thinks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
They were warped. Or at least had break material deposited on them. A quick skim from a machinist in Pakistan and all was well again. This was after the rear completely failed on the Karakorum Highway mid corner. I jumped on the front and kinda bunnyhopped to the edge of a 200ft drop.

It kinda went something like this:

"OH FUUUuuuUUUUuuuuUUUUuuuuUUUUUuuuuUUUUUuuuuUUCK me"

and resulted in me going alot slower. Ironically my travel partner (Grahm BMW GS100) shot off ahead and when he realised I wasn't behind him anymore slowed down. The slowing down caused him to crash.

---

Oliver
www.motorcycleodyssey.co.uk

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
They were warped. Or at least had break material deposited on them. A quick skim from a machinist in Pakistan and all was well again. This was after the rear completely failed on the Karakorum Highway mid corner. I jumped on the front and kinda bunnyhopped to the edge of a 200ft drop.

It kinda went something like this:

"OH FUUUuuuUUUUuuuuUUUUuuuuUUUUUuuuuUUUUUuuuuUUCK me"

and resulted in me going alot slower. Ironically my travel partner (Grahm BMW GS100) shot off ahead and when he realised I wasn't behind him anymore slowed down. The slowing down caused him to crash.

---

Oliver
www.motorcycleodyssey.co.uk
So who had to change the underwear?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts