Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello ,

I have a problem with the clutch ( 2004 ABS )

1st , it's hard to engage the 1st Gear i have to move the bike forward and backward to engage ( this one i have seen in many bikes before )
when it engages . i get the 1st gear then up 2nd ,3rd, 4th... it doesn't go to the 5th
I move it forward and backward again.. sometimes it gets to the 5th
then i try to go down..it doesn't go to the 1st . it stays at the 2nd..move fwd backward again
Also.. it engages without pulling the clutch lever.. didn't know this can be done

What could be this problem ? the previous owner just replaced the plates and Oil ( could be bad oil anyway )

Could it be a problem in the Basket ,plates not good?

Thanks

·
Administrator
1,784 Posts
Others with experience of the 'Dero will be along shortly, I expect, but for starters....
Is the clutch cable adjustment correct?
Does the chain have the correct amount of slack? (particularly not too tight)
If the oil's an unknown quantity, change the oil using a proper motorcycle oil of the correct grade.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Others with experience of the 'Dero will be along shortly, I expect, but for starters....
Is the clutch cable adjustment correct?
Does the chain have the correct amount of slack? (particularly not too tight)
If the oil's an unknown quantity, change the oil using a proper motorcycle oil of the correct grade.
The Oil is Mobil1 10-40 . maybe the plates are not good not original

the clutch i don't know what is the best setting for it. i squeeze the lever..i put it on gear. i leave the lever but it doesn't engage until the end of the lever

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
What Hotbulb said:
Clutch adjustment is on the knurled wheel at the handlebar end of the cable.
The only clutch problem I've had was with the bearing in the activation lever at the engine end of the cable. The bearing boke up and prevented the clutch from engaging. Doesn't sound like your problem.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
seems the cable installed is short almost no free play .. i have tried to look for the part number for new one

22870-MBT-D20 all web sites mentioned that it's obsolete now and they don't put new part number.. any ideas?

·
Registered
843 Posts
"they don't have it"

Odd as usually when they say they have to order the part in - it means they have to get it either from
Japan or a European warehouse stock of parts. Usually only takes a few days as has occured for some obscure Firestorm parts.

Alternatively have you looked ay secondhand/pattern cables on eBay?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/99-XL1000V-Honda-Varadero-Clutch-Cable-Including-Barcket-/291714202306?hash=item43eb857ac2:g:JbQAAOSwezVWxayA

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AFTERMARKET-CLUTCH-CABLE-HONDA-XL1000-XL-1000-VARADERO-99-11-NEW-/272181934289?hash=item3f5f4eb8d1:g:2WwAAOSwFL9Tu2BO

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the main reason for asking for honda alternative is to avoid getting one from overseas as i will have to pay a lot to ship to Egypt..
i don't want to make order for one while they don't have it in Stock and then i try to chase them everyday for updates or refund

·
Registered
843 Posts
If you don't want a clutch cable from overseas best go to your local Honda dealer or bike workship and get them to order what you want - it will still more likely come from abroad anyway.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you don't want a clutch cable from overseas best go to your local Honda dealer or bike workship and get them to order what you want - it will still more likely come from abroad anyway.
this is the main reason asking for alternative part number so i can look for it around or buy it online. i could fit the vara 99 cable but it has different part number or get the VTX one or any aftermarket cable

1 - 13 of 13 Posts