Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just managed to get a vid up on youtube its not great but it makes the sound at 5 and 21 secs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vmdWJbHlGY&feature=youtu.be

hi again folks the last few days ive been having this weird problem were some times my bike wont idle its intermittent but its been happening more regular of late the bike will start and idle fine then when i ride it and say im coming up to a junction or lights and im coasting in gear i will hear a few popping sounds from the engine or airbox area if i engage the clutch to idle the bike will just stall out il then let out the clutch a little again to start the bike but il have to hold a some throttle to get the bike to idle and for a few seconds it pops and clatters from around what sounds like the engine but it could be air box then it will smooth out again fine until the next time you start to ride it its like a claaa claaa or chaa chaaa sound.

at the moment the starter clutch has had it it barely starts the bike it only catches the odd time i have ended up having to kick start it which isnt the easiest as you fello dommie owners will know im not sure if this is effecting the idle problem.

i just wish i could get it on camera but it never seems to do it when i get the cam out which is also odd.

ps.were is the cheapest plaice to get a new starter clutch as these seem to be making silly money :(

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Sounds like it's spitting back through the carb. I'd say running lean. Give the carb a clean out and also check the breather pipe on top.
Could also be the inlet rubber split.

·
Administrator
1,783 Posts
Sounds like it's spitting back through the carb. I'd say running lean. Give the carb a clean out and also check the breather pipe on top.
Could also be the inlet rubber split.
Agreed ...... might benefit from a new plug too ( it may be having trouble igniting the weak idle mixture if it's past its best)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi thanks for replys folks checked the inlet boot today it's ok off with the carb now but as a matter of interest how in gods name do you get the plug out tried loads different sockets non of them will go down into the plug they seem to catch on the engine.

·
Administrator
1,783 Posts
how in gods name do you get the plug out tried loads different sockets non of them will go down into the plug they seem to catch on the engine.
Don't know - I don't have a Dommie, but the plugs on the Transalp are pigs to get at, too....one of Mr Honda's less-good ideas - and only the official Honda plug spanner seems to do the job.I'd suggest using a suitable (tubular) box spanner, rather than a socket, as the walls are usually thinner

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
The misfire and spitback sounds like the classic Dommie cough stall scenario but from the way you describe it sounds far worse and more like a mixture or plug issue. Change the plug. It's worth buying the proper Honda spanner if you don't have it. Give the carb a good clean (especially all the pilot circuits) and check all the daphragms. Yours may have a small diaphragm under a cover on the side of the carb too and that's worth checking. Incorrect valve clearances can make the problem worse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts