Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an electrical problem which is getting progressively worse.

It started off not wanting to start on the odd occasion - unless i turned the lights on and then off again - then starter would run.
then it did it all the time. Have to flash the lights before starting.

Now indicators wont work, and the starter motor wont turn - even when i flash the lights. I notice that when the bike is in gear, there is a faint buzzing/humming sound coming from the area of the instrument cluster.

Im not sure where to start diagnosing. Fuses are okay - battery is ok - i have not yet done an amp test (quick screwdriver touch across terminals to see if there is a spark.) but will do just now.

Does anyone have an idea of what this might be? where to start checking? I have a multimeter and a 14lb hammer ready.....!:p

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I have an electrical problem which is getting progressively worse.

It started off not wanting to start on the odd occasion - unless i turned the lights on and then off again - then starter would run.
then it did it all the time. Have to flash the lights before starting.

Now indicators wont work, and the starter motor wont turn - even when i flash the lights. I notice that when the bike is in gear, there is a faint buzzing/humming sound coming from the area of the instrument cluster.

Im not sure where to start diagnosing. Fuses are okay - battery is ok - i have not yet done an amp test (quick screwdriver touch across terminals to see if there is a spark.) but will do just now.

Does anyone have an idea of what this might be? where to start checking? I have a multimeter and a 14lb hammer ready.....!:p

Put that hammer down man!!

Look, electrickery is all down to components needing two wires; a + and a - feed, and to be honest most of the time the - (negative) is carried through the frame, so you only need one wire!!

Your issue sounds suspiciously like a bad earth, either where it bolts to the - (negative) terminal of the battery, or where the other end of that cable attached to the mounting bolts (I think, so check) of the starter motor. Don't confuse it with the + feed to the starter, which is on the insulated bolt on the starter motor body.

You also need to check the main earth to the wiring loom. I'm not sure where this is bolted down to on the frame of a Dommi (I'm an AT man!!) but it will basically be one, two or more (green probably) wires on a brass lug coming out of the loom and bolted to the frame.

Make sure all the earth connections are bright clean, and if not use a small wire brush to clean them and then reconnect them tightly. A little spray of something like WD40 afterwards won't hurt either.

Be patient, you'll find it.

Good Luck

Bob :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Put that hammer down man!!

Look, electrickery is all down to components needing two wires; a + and a - feed, and to be honest most of the time the - (negative) is carried through the frame, so you only need one wire!!

Your issue sounds suspiciously like a bad earth, either where it bolts to the - (negative) terminal of the battery, or where the other end of that cable attached to the mounting bolts (I think, so check) of the starter motor. Don't confuse it with the + feed to the starter, which is on the insulated bolt on the starter motor body.

You also need to check the main earth to the wiring loom. I'm not sure where this is bolted down to on the frame of a Dommi (I'm an AT man!!) but it will basically be one, two or more (green probably) wires on a brass lug coming out of the loom and bolted to the frame.

Make sure all the earth connections are bright clean, and if not use a small wire brush to clean them and then reconnect them tightly. A little spray of something like WD40 afterwards won't hurt either.

Be patient, you'll find it.

Good Luck

Bob :thumbup:
I had the same problem with mine and it turned out to be the earth ,you might want to take a look at your side stand indicator light switch because some times the pin that the side stand lug activates can get rusty and sticky.A bit of emery paper and grease or WD40 will sort it or a gentle tap with your 14lb hammer.:teeth::teeth::teeth:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys Thanks.... and Ol' cocky locky here with "the battery's fine'...... its as dry as a bone:rolleyes:. Off to get battery water, and charge. I've stripped off the seat, and and cleaning all positive AND earth points. Are there any earth points in the cluster area? I can't think of any.....

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Also, I'm not sure whether the Dommi has a 30amp master fuse, under the red cover of the starter solenoid; but if so, this is a weak point on AT's and corrodes, burns or melts, so make sure that the connections that the fuse slots into are clean and spray a bit of WD40 in there too!

:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Guys Thanks.... and Ol' cocky locky here with "the battery's fine'...... its as dry as a bone:rolleyes:. Off to get battery water, and charge. I've stripped off the seat, and and cleaning all positive AND earth points. Are there any earth points in the cluster area? I can't think of any.....
If the battery is dry, and there isn't any damage to it's casing, there is a chance that the charging circuit has been overcharging the battery and boiled it dry. If you manage to get a charge into the battery, and it isn't fried, and definitely if you fit a new battery, put your multimeter on the battery once you've started the bike and check the charging voltage. Rec/Regs do fail, and overcharge the battery and fry electronics. A boiling battery can usually be smelled when you're riding.

Good Luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeez Louise Bob, all good stuff - I replaced the reg/rec about 2,000km ago, so didn't have a reason to think it was a problem. I don't know the age of the battery, but I'll check the charging and monitor. I did check the solenoid fuse, it is a bit corroded, so I'm going to clean that up as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So. I removed and cleaned all the grounding connections. I removed and cleaned the starter solenoid connections. I topped up the battery and cleaned the terminals. Put the battery on charge for 45 mins, and BOOM - first start! :toothy10::D She is charging at 14.4v at the battery, so Im happy with that.......
She is back together again and on charge with the C-Tek charger. tomorrow will be an oil change before our annual New Years Eve afternoon ride to Angie's G Spot - our local bike pub which is 56km's of beautiful gravel pass away! Goggle it! Thanks for your instant help, and hope you have a FANTASTIC 2017. :teeth:
Ciao,
Sean.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The main earth is under the seat.

You need to start at the beginning.. At the battery. Check for a constant 12.5v or better.

Checking plug connections and looking for frayed wires etc.

You will need a multimeter and the knowhow how to use one properly.

Check the starter relay is getting 12v from the battery and also the black/yellow wire into the solenoid is getting 12v when you press the starter button.

However, its very very difficult to diagnose and instruct electrical issues online.

Good luck.

Ive done a lot of electrical work on dommies over the years. They're not too complicated but you do need a general understanding of how it all works.

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts