Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the two bolt holes that the sprocket cover fixes to on my XL600 is broken. Not just a stripped thread, a chunk of the boss the tapped hole resides in is MIA. I should have sorted this while the engine was apart but I didn't. I tried JB Weld and it was useless.

I have to pull the engine out to sort a cam cover oil leak and think that while the engine is on the bench it's a good opportunity to make a permanent repair. My plan is to build up the boss with 'new' aluminiumthen drill and tap a new thread.

I have two alternatives. 1. a Lumiweld kit and 2. a MIG welder, aluminium wire and a bottle of Argon. My dilemma is that I don't think I'll be able to get enough heat into the repair area for Lumiweld to work; and if I go down the MIG route I'm afraid I might melt the crankcase.

I'm still favouring the MIG. Low amps, fast wire feed and a dab dab weld. It's quite a meaty chunk of metal to build upon.

Any thoughts?

·
77 Posts
Find a good local engineering firm and get them to build up the broken area with a TIG welder, then drill and tap as planned. there's a firm next to where I work and the things that they can repair with the right equipment is amazing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Agree with Dirt Monkey.... get an expert to sort it......the secret is in the pre heat with ally.

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agree with Dirt Monkey.... get an expert to sort it......the secret is in the pre heat with ally.
Isn't life is a learning process? I have some spare ally to practice on, the equipment and an itchy trigger finger. :D

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'd have to agree... Building it up with TIG is the only solution if you want it 'As new'

For a bodge though, you could drill a little deeper into the case where the thread used to be and then tap it out to take an M6 stud.

Then slide the sprocket cover over the stud and secure with a bolt.

It's only a sprocket cover.. Very light and almost no torque required to secure it.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Isn't life is a learning process? I have some spare ally to practice on, the equipment and an itchy trigger finger. :D
If you have some spare to practice on, you might try the HTS 2000 ali brazing rods. I'm not recommending them, but I have tried them and been impressed, at least on the right materials. On pure ali and good alloys, they work well, but if it has a high magnesium content, they don't really work at all. The melting pint is way below that of the casting, so there is more leeway than with welding; but definitely try it on some scrap bits of similar metal first. Have a shufti at the youtube demo videos, there's one of building up a broken boss just like yours. Like with any welding, get the area really clean first, any trace of oil will stop it sticking. You can get 5 rods for about £12 on ebay; should be enough to try it. No, I don't work for them, I just wanted to see if I could fix a broken thing instead of chucking it.

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have some spare to practice on, you might try the HTS 2000 ali brazing rods. I'm not recommending them, but I have tried them and been impressed, at least on the right materials. On pure ali and good alloys, they work well, but if it has a high magnesium content, they don't really work at all. The melting pint is way below that of the casting, so there is more leeway than with welding; but definitely try it on some scrap bits of similar metal first. Have a shufti at the youtube demo videos, there's one of building up a broken boss just like yours. Like with any welding, get the area really clean first, any trace of oil will stop it sticking. You can get 5 rods for about £12 on ebay; should be enough to try it. No, I don't work for them, I just wanted to see if I could fix a broken thing instead of chucking it.
Thanks for the tip, I've ordered some rods to play with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Were are you in the country? Best to tig weld drill tap and helicoil for strength. A helicoil in allu is better than a tapped hole. If you were near north wales id be more than happy to carry it out. Dont bother with MIG as you wont get the required setting required to weld allu castings - Area needs to be thoroughly cleaned , pre heated, the right rod for the material etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts