Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

I have some welding to do on my XR frame, I presume that I have to diconnect the alternator before I do the welding, is there anything else that needs disconnecting as well before I start??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi All.

I have some welding to do on my XR frame, I presume that I have to diconnect the alternator before I do the welding, is there anything else that needs disconnecting as well before I start??

just the earth off the battery mate, no need to disconnect the alternator

·
2,701 Posts
Hi All.

Play safe and disconnect alternator, CDI unit and anything else you can unplug. . . . .( only takes a few min's ) . . . . battery is not standard on XR600 but if it's fitted with one disconect and remove.

I presume you will be using MIG or TIG, either way clean paint from an area of the frame to fasten the earth clamp to.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi All

Thank you for your replies, yes no battery, I have disconnested the CDI, voltage reg/rect and I think I will do the alternator as well, just to be safe, ark welding it, a friend of mine used to be a pro welder but not worked on bikes.

·
bike nut
1,034 Posts
Hi All

Thank you for your replies, yes no battery, I have disconnested the CDI, voltage reg/rect and I think I will do the alternator as well, just to be safe, ark welding it, a friend of mine used to be a pro welder but not worked on bikes.
what are you welding? did you get the forks changed over? need some pics when your done! :D

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Jamie.

Side stand cracked, all done now was quite a job, XR tubing is very thin indeed.

On the USD front, took a long time to find/ get someone to machine the steering stem, but that was done last week, just done a total strip and rebuild of the forks, were going out for a big ride this weekend, so I,m putting them on next week, don't worry after all the works done I will be putting some pictures on the forum.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi - I'm not any sort of expert on welding either but been reading a thread on do/don'ts of welding over on TT ... aside from what's mentioned above, the advice is to make sure that you site the earth so that current does not have to go through any bearings. This shouldn't be an issue for you as your welding and (hopefully) earthing on the main frame, but just thought I'd mention it in case ...

Cheers

Ads

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Jamie.

Went out on Wednesday eve, felt really good, but it was cut short before we got to some hard going as my mate broke his collar bone:(

Have you got your forks level with the top yoke?

·
bike nut
1,034 Posts
i have them flush, so the bike is at full stance :thumbup:

how do you find the height? mine seems to be the tallest bike i
have ever owned! :confused::D:thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts