Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a bulb go yesterday and upon investigation the housing is very corroded and one the lens fixing points is a bit damaged so I was wondering if I could replace them with some decent LEDs?

I don't like the tiny invisible ones people fit to sportsbikes so has anyone come across a good quality indicator unit which might suit an Africa Twin? I'm happy to fiddle with mountings etc but would rather not have all sorts of electrical gubbins hanging out everywhere so I'm after something which might pass for 'factory'.

Cheers
David

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Lutin, have you come across any kits or is it a case of putting the bits together yourself?

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Cheers Lutin, have you come across any kits or is it a case of putting the bits together yourself?

I've seen stuff on fleabay - LED indicators and required relay - but I've haven't followed any of it up.

If you are just after replacement indicators, rather than needing to go the LED route, then I would have a browse around the Wemoto site. They have a fair stock of pattern indicators and maybe some of those would suit? Maybe from a different model? There seems to be a fair commonality of fixings for indicators - at least amongst Hondas.

Are you after front or rear, by the way? If you are changing to LED, then you'll have to change them all, as a mixture of bulbs and LEDs will not work very well - unless you go the resistor route, I suppose.

Sorry if I've gone and thoroughly confused you now. ;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
256 Posts
If you are changing to LED, then you'll have to change them all, as a mixture of bulbs and LEDs will not work very well - unless you go the resistor route, I suppose.
Sorry, but going to have to correct this one... I have a combined rear unit, which is all LED, and yet have the standard bulb indys at the front, and they work fine... but yes you will have to change the flasher relay, simple job of unplug one and plug in the other... And got my relay from Honda, think about £20... but yes they are on Ebay readily available.

Here's a pic of my combined rear end unit, which has indy's combined within the rear light unit (did this cos fed up with kicking my indys that stuck out and brakin them... or just catchin them on something and snapping them off...). Cost me about £10 off Ebay, and it's a replacment unit for an Yammy R1, but to make it fit the contours of the rear end plastic I just turned it upside down, and it still works fine..(and my mate says it's alot brighter than the standard fit TA one..)

Oh yeah, and by changing the rear light for this one, I could shorten the rear end mudflap bit by about 3 Inch aswell...:thumbup:

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a pic of my combined rear end unit, which has indy's combined within the rear light unit (did this cos fed up with kicking my indys that stuck out and brakin them... or just catchin them on something and snapping them off...). Cost me about £10 off Ebay, and it's a replacment unit for an Yammy R1, but to make it fit the contours of the rear end plastic I just turned it upside down, and it still works fine..(and my mate says it's alot brighter than the standard fit TA one..)
Hey, that looks nice Titch; I think I'll investigate one of those.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hey, that looks nice Titch; I think I'll investigate one of those.
This is the one I got: YZF R6 03 - 05 LED Tail Light + Indicators for Yamaha on eBay (end time 01-Apr-10 19:03:38 BST)

But if you go on Ebay, and type 'LED light' into the search box, then select the motorcycle parts bit on the left... you will find approx 6k of them, but I narrowed it down to Yamaha lights, as thought they looked better to fit, but take a look and decide for yourself.

You will see on the pics of the back of the light that you will have to do some trimming and bodging to make the light fit, but the end result (as you have already seen..) looks good... oh yeah, you have to cut the plug from the end of the wires and just link into the wires on you Alp (does involve a bit of playing to get the right wires for the right bits etc...).

I could probably take a few more pics of mine for you at some point, but will be busy for a few days at work... will try and remember to do this when off on Saturday...

Last bit... youwill need to get some other form of lighting for your number plate, as you can see on mine I have put some of those LED bolt sytle lights at the top of my plate, and they work great...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts