Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, the Kawasaki ZX7R has gone after 7 years and I have yesterday bought a 2000 model Vigor. Am I going to regret it? needs a bit of work so I am after some of your ideas, like can I change the headlamp for some fancy one,maybe a twin one, as i dont have a nose fairing at the mo. Thanks.

·
Romanian Trailbiker
616 Posts
If you change the lamps, remember that the stock generator produces little usable current at low revs. You have little more than 90W at 2500rpm.

Instrument lights = 12W
Park lights = 10W
Headlight = 55W

Total = 77W. Add to this ignition and brake/turn signals and you'll be running almost on battery power unless you stay in high revs.

Switching to a dual headlight and keeping both on will boost consumption by an additional 55W (dual headlights). That guarantees you'll be running on battery power until midway into the revs.

The solution would be LED lights and HID headlights (unsure if legal in your country -- around here they still are). That would keep consumption normal even with a twin headlight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I would settle for a nice single headlight and small nose fairing.Has anybody here done this and if so , which one did they go for. Other than that has anybody still got the the small original fairing they wish to sell. Thanks.

·
Romanian Trailbiker
616 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I would settle for a nice single headlight and small nose fairing.Has anybody here done this and if so , which one did they go for. Other than that has anybody still got the the small original fairing they wish to sell. Thanks.
If a nose fairing is all you want, you might want to settle for an aftermarket piece. The headlight +mounting is pretty standard -- most naked bikes. There's a LOT of aftermarket items for them.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I love my Vigor, I've had plenty of bikes but the Vigor is the only one I bought a second one of deliberately. Don't try to plod along like many people think a big single should. It has a very over square engine and is prone to chain snatch if you do not keep the revs up a bit. It's a bit strange after a multi but you soon get used to it. Don't think oh! Christ what have I done if it feels strange, look beyond that because it really is a very good and capable bike. For me it's the drive out of corners, punch I guess. It also handles remarkably well. Ok, it is built to a price but somehow it punches above its weight and becomes very rewarding. Can't think of any real vices other than sometimes it can be a pig to wake up! I've never bottomed it out but it always starts eventually. If things are really bad I just heat the plug on the gas cooker! So there you have it, even if you decide it's not for you eventually the experience will stay with you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well after tidying it up over the weekend I went to tax it today because I could not wait till the end of the month to see what it goes like. And yes your right, after my 4 cyl ZX7R which I loved, this is a bit different. I found that I tend to ride it just under the red line, is this normal. Also it does sound like a tractor. I banged a new spark plug in as soon as I bought the bike and it does start first touch of the button, fair play. Yesterday I bought a aftermarket headlamp with fairing, when fitted I will post a pic. Nice thing about it is that I can just jump on and ride away, and a lot easier to ride around town. Thanks for your replies.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Just under redline sound a bit high.

The dommie seems to be happiest around 4000-5500, or a bit more if you're raking through the box. ;-)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yes mine's more than happy 4500-5500 approx 60-70mph on standard gearing. And yes it does seem like riding a jack hammer to begin with but you soon accustom to it, it's almost comforting after a while. I do have a gripe! the mirrors are useless (well for me they are) and I plan to get some extenders some time or a blind spot mirror. This bike has heart, it lets you know it's alive unlike a multi that tends to be too smooth and clinical. Stick with it you won't regret it.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
There's nothing like a big single for thundering towards a corner downshifting and engine braking, and then opening the tap and steering into the corner, in that order. ;-)

(damnit I miss my NX)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I got my Raptor aftermarket twin headlamp today and guess what, it fitted straight in where the old headlamp was. Simple. it was second hand and one of the bulbs had blown and it did look a bit weird (35 watt) but a trip to the local bike shop and he had a box full covered in dust on the shelf. Job done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts