Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to declare the dommie dead. :-(

With pain in my heart, it's my first bike and all that, lovingly altered and always a blast to ride, but I screwed it up and left it too long and it's too far gone now.

Last outing was during the winter of 2008-09 after the GS nearly dropped a valve and needed a head job sharpish. The NX already needed some TLC by then, the clutch doesn't entirely disengage and the rear suspension is quite shot (lively!). Then in February when the GS was rebuilt I started riding that again, as you do, and kinda forgot about the dommie. And forgot about it being covered in road salt. :oops: That's never been a problem before as I always kept using the bike. It wasn't getting any prettier but it'd rain off soon enough. :rolleyes:

But I forgot, got distracted, got crazy busy at work, got a GF, went to New Zealand, and before you know it it's May and the bike's rusted and rotted completely to hell. I then washed it and told myself I'd fix it. And now it's May again, and I've done f*ck all about it the past year.

So there we are. I think it needs a new clutch basket, I know it needs a rear shock + linkage rebuild, a few new spokes, new tyres, and by now the chain will be rusted solid, the front brake is completely seized on (and knowing nissin calipers... :roll:), the bare aluminium engine hanger plates are about half as thick as they used to be after I threw a bucket of water over them, the exhaust clamps and nuts are twice as big as they used to be, the battery will probably be dead, and, well...

I think I've kinda proven my point. It's dead, Jim. :(

I could do a complete rebuild as some of the others here have done, but if I can't find the time to fix it I certainly won't find the time for that, and it'll probably be cheaper to buy something else. For a second there I considered buying another one (spotted exactly the same model US import for sale) but then again I don't need 2 bikes at the moment and if I'm buying another bike I'm not sure if I'd buy a dommie again instead of say a DR650 or something else entirely.

So here I am, biting the bullet and officially giving up on it. Being sensible sucks.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Ah well all dogs go to heaven:D Interesting why you wouldnt get another dommie and would go for a DR650 why do you think its a better single??

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dunno, nothing definite yet about that opinion.

I just had the DR in New Zealand and it was a great bike. It's also 15 years younger than the dommie, which has to count for something. ;-)

I was just thinking, IF I get another dommie it would have to be an RD02 and preferably the US import as that's what I have now and that's what I can use the spares on. Good ones of those are getting thin on the ground... If I'm not getting an RD02 I can't use my old bike for spares and then I've got the whole world of bikes out there to choose from, basically.

·
Romanian Trailbiker
616 Posts
I'm about to get myself a 1100GS. Next to a 96 dommie, I'm afraid it might suffer the same fate! :(

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Depends. I'll predict the dommie will certainly see a lot less use, but they're different enough that both will have their own fun. The 1100 is a big slightly unfeeling mile eater (telelevers are weird), the dommie a light nimble twisty shredder, the tighter the better. Light low-power bikes rule. ;-)

Had I bought that Transalp instead of the GS, the dommie would probably have been long gone, but I've had the GS for over 4 years now and the dommie only really started going downhill after 2.5 years when my life suddenly got very busy indeed. And only then because I screwed up and left it full of road salt. Store the bike in a reasonable way and it can sit for years.

·
Romanian Trailbiker
616 Posts
By the way, all the mechanics are almost identical between all dommie models. Fairings usually warrant full swap (all fairings, seat, front subframe, hedlight).

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And that "almost" there is the killer...

They are nearly identical, but not quite, and just different enough that things simply won't fit without a big hammer. This is Honda, after all.

Mine's doubly so because it's a US import and for some insane reason those are the only dommies in the whole range to have a rear drum brake. Meaning wheel's different (so no set of "weekend wheels" in that case), swingarm's different, brake controls obviously, even the frame's a bit different I guess because there's no place to mount the rear brake reservoir. There's more. The wiring loom is different enough that I couldn't just plug euro controls into them to get a headlight off switch.

And between RD02 and RD08 there's really more different than the same, though it's all subtle. Frame, cylinder head, airbox, carb, exhaust, it's all different. Fairing, obviously.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 3 holes where the intake screws in are placed differently, at least. Probably some other minor things as well. Camshaft probably different too, but that's not so much incompatible as just less performance.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've gone and done something stupid, then.

I went into the shed and I sat on the NX.

Aaw. Poor thing...

Reason tells me the bike is well and truly rogered. It needed a lot of work when I put it in there, and now it basically needs everything done. Yebbut. Nobut. Crap.

(Can't even move it. Front brake is *completely* seized on. Even after half a can of penetrating oil. The hanger pins came straight out, oddly enough given what Nissin calipers are, but the bike ain't moving.)

(Other things you shouldn't do: Try to crank a big single that's been standing for 18 months, while in the shed. You'll go deaf if it backfires. Beeeeeeeeeeeep. ;-))

1 - 12 of 12 Posts