Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I like it and I wish I could justify one. Speaking to the lads in Motorrad Edinburgh the expectation is it will be around the same price as the existing model (well it will be more but things that were options will be standard so like for like it will be about the same for a fully loaded bike). Of course its just speculation for now.

I also see they have addressed the biggest shortcoming of the standard bike when using off road in so much the lack of torque at or near tickover compared to the older air/oil cooled lump. This was what annoyed me the most when I had a play and has been addressed with a 1Kg heavier flywheel.

As I say I really like it and my planned plan of buying a late current model bike which had been traded in for one of these may well have to change.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
bet it's a bargain;)
You'll be surprised at the prices these days. Gone are the days when the BMWs were way above the rest on pricing. My Varadero cost 6K new but when I sold it 3 years later that 6K was 9K.

The standard R1200GS comes in at £11,650
The Honda Crosstourer is now £11,475
The Yamaha XT1200Z is £11,999
The Suzuki Vstrom 1000 £9999 + OTR charges (what ever they come to)

so as you can see they are all in the same ballpark. Of course you can get all sort of extras on the BMW that may not be available on the others like tyre pressure sensors and other luxuries that push the price up but the basic ABS equipped bikes are all much of a muchness these days.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
New V-strom 1000 is launched on the 4th November, just had my invite e-mailed to me from my dealer across the road

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You'll be surprised at the prices these days. Gone are the days when the BMWs were way above the rest on pricing.
Yes, the rest have caught up nicely.

Granted it's a top of the line bike, but it's kinda nuts to be able to buy TWO small new cars for the price of one bike. And we're not even getting near HD territory yet, that's another league of silliness altogether.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Yes, the rest have caught up nicely.

Gordon has a good point but it sounds like they have formed a cartel rather than good value for money......or may be I am juts peed off 'cos I can't afford one ......:confused:

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I think the prices are ridiculous, can't see how they can charge what they do. I'll never buy a new bike at those prices, even if I had the cash in my hand now I wouldn't spend it on one of those.

The ammount of second hand bikes you could pick up and do up etc and still have thousands left over is endless.
agree but if you are looking for shaft-drive "adventure" style bike, options fall back only to, imho, grossly overpriced GS or GSA's and....

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
Well there's the Yamaha or a decent second hand Stelvio (shaft drive) could be had for 5k upwards. I know the Stelvio isn't exactly like the adventure bikes of GSA etc (although Stuarts coped fine in Galloway, so did Alan on an RT so maybe not a good example :D) but most people don't do much, if any off-roading anyway.

Just can't justify the price's of these new bikes, not for me. :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Well there's the Yamaha yes I fancy that! or a decent second hand Stelvio (shaft drive) an Italian bike????? Never!:Dcould be had for 5k upwards. I know the Stelvio isn't exactly like the adventure bikes of GSA etc (although Stuarts coped fine in Galloway, so did Alan on an RT so maybe not a good example :D) but most people don't do much, if any off-roading anyway. I am one of them!!

Just can't justify the price's of these new bikes, not for me. :)
seriously can't justify it either but that XTZ 1200 is stuck in my brain.....:( maybe sh prices will come down next year......

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Just to add to the post i made the new V-strom has a 1037 motor in it and i was told today by the dealer it will be less than £10k but they didn't say by how much and it does look like it's been styled on a GS from the front end shots i've seen today

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
i
is this the new one?
Thats the one.

Despite the prices people are paying them. Spoke to 2 dealers recently who both said used bikes are selling as they always have but the new stuff is selling just aswell because the manufactures are now all doing decent finance packages to offest the price rises.

So people are having the latest stuff, they just aren't paying out for them so just remember just because someone has something doesn't mean it's payed for. Also until it is payed for it belongs to the finance firm.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The standard R1200GS comes in at £11,650
The Honda Crosstourer is now £11,475
The Yamaha XT1200Z is £11,999
Just for the curious, some Dutch prices:

Standard GS LC: € 17.300
'Old' GS Adv: € 18.500
Honda CT: € 16.700
XT1200Z: € 16.500
Cheapest BMW G650GS: € 8.300
Kia Picanto for comparison: € 8.600

Yes that's a lot more than just the exchange rate. Taxes. I'll not be buying any new 'adventure' bikes anytime soon.

Re: Bargain, I'm guessing that new LC ADV will crack € 19k. This also gets you a VW Golf.

At least it's not Norway, the standard GS LC comes to about € 28k there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts