Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to remove the screen from my '94 TA to fit the low one I just treated myself to but can't shift any of the 4 fixing screws, the whole thing just turns. Even where I can get grips to the back of a couple of them they won't undo. 2 on the left side front body panel are also stuck firm. Have sprayed with PlusGas but no joy yet. Is there a good answer? Drill them out?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
een705, I don't really have the kit to grind them & would probably damage the bodywork (which is immaculate) if I did.

·
Registered
523 Posts
een705, I don't really have the kit to grind them & would probably damage the bodywork (which is immaculate) if I did.
If you can get to the back of them can you not get a pair of molegrips and overtighten the grips as the wellnuts are only brass and that might split them

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Is the problem that the bolt turns but does not undo because the captive nut in the rubber part is rotating i.e. not captive, you can feel the nut rotating if you can reach the rubber nut holder...
It may be possible to clamp the non captive nut by squeezing the rubber around the nut with pliers, or was that what you did. and then unscrewing the bolt, hopefully.
Can you take the front panel off with the screen still on it, cannot remember as my TA is naked, then you have better access to the screen nuts or are the side panel/front panel nuts stuck as well.The bottom front panel/mounting bracket bolts have 'captive' nuts embedded in the front panel these stick as well. If the are rotating you can pull the front panel off the bracket and unscrew the 'captive' off the bolt and glue in back into the front panel. I replace the bolt with a stud glued into the fairing then it is easier to fit the fairing onto the bracket holes then fit a nut onto the stud..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice guys. Going to have a garage day tomorrow & have another go. Got the rh front side panel off but the left side is doing what you describe. The number plate fixings might be a good idea. Will report back.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. Going to have a garage day tomorrow & have another go. Got the rh front side panel off but the left side is doing what you describe. The number plate fixings might be a good idea. Will report back.
I'd go wellnuts again,cheap enough on ebay,bit of grease on the wellnut bolts for next time,at least with the rubber to damp out the vibes a bit it might stop any stress fractures to the panels from the fastening holes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I got them out at last. Drilled 4, hacksawed one & managed to just pull one through. Crushing the brass bit didn't work although I did split the one I got out intact & can see that that might work. The difficulty was getting the vice grips to hold on in the awkward recesses of the cowl & fairing panels. Put a few scratches on the panels which is annoying. Colour Magic polish will help disguise them & perhaps oversize rubber washers. Need to sort out replacement fasteners next.
I've got a surplus to requirements Powerbronze dark tint touring screen in excellent condition to offer for sale now.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well, I got them out at last. Drilled 4, hacksawed one & managed to just pull one through. Crushing the brass bit didn't work although I did split the one I got out intact & can see that that might work. The difficulty was getting the vice grips to hold on in the awkward recesses of the cowl & fairing panels. Put a few scratches on the panels which is annoying. Colour Magic polish will help disguise them & perhaps oversize rubber washers. Need to sort out replacement fasteners next.
I've got a surplus to requirements Powerbronze dark tint touring screen in excellent condition to offer for sale now.
Why don't you hold onto that screen until you know you are happy with the standard one. If you find that its too low perhaps you might shorten the touring screen.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I considered shortening the touring screen but don't have the kit to do it myself. Standard is 330mm & the touring is 450, not a huge difference. We will see

1 - 15 of 15 Posts