Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received a set of the Wemoto engine and fairing bars today, think they are the motech version and as or was hot and there was plenty of other jobs I 'needed' to do I set about fitting the bars to the @

I purchased them from wemoto.com and they arrived within 24 hours of ordering-'even the courier had the sense to leave them next door and a note to that effect (novel!) he obviously is biker too and knew I would be giddy ;)

On opening, a little dissapointed to find the bars scratched despite plenty of bubble wrap- they will soon get scratched anywayz I though with my riding ability so hey ho!

The instructions consist of one a4 sheet with 2 images and the sparse instructions are in german - another heyho. The images are pretty naff but as there are only 4 parts that it is pretty easy to suss out where things go.

My main worry is the very long bar which goes right through the engine bay - wasn't sure if removing the original would let the engine fall out. Nope it didn't bytheway!

I have left it for this evening as the light is fading and I need a beer!

The tricky part to fitting is behind the forks. There is a pair of covers over radiators
And then a rubber grommit which needs to be removed and is very stubborn- a few choice phrases and cursing led me to decide another day would be better.

Happy so far with the look and the fact that they fit over the fairing too.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Strapping things to your engine protection bars, could be risky.
To heavy load in combination with vibration can cause the welds to brake.

And there are bars still made for the RD03.
Mine were from Rikky Cross.

You've got a shiny bike there AckAckFlack

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice looking bars,they look quite sturdy. you could strap a tent to them or similar loads of space for stuff. Wish they did them for the RD03.
HIya have to agree with Kjell it isn't a good place for 5-6 kg tent. I have seen small napsack type bags on them which only weigh a kilo or so.
The tent is better strapping to the topbox plate me thinks.
I have an Ox of a varadero which carries tons
recent pic on the TLD recently. Next time I will halve it as a lot wasn't used - it was my first time out on the bike so far from home ;)

Next job on the engine bar is to sort out the bar behind the forks tucked up high - note to self and others fitting these bars - start with this part first by removing the fairings and sort out as now I have bars on and it is tight for space.
Kjell - shiny yes for now will be dirty though when I get it ready for offroad :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Nice looking bars,they look quite sturdy. you could strap a tent to them or similar loads of space for stuff. Wish they did them for the RD03.

I have engine bars from Wemoto by SW-Motech for an RD04 (frame the same as RD03) they are avaliable in gloss black or white (white looks best IMHO) and with a really good finish, also easy to fit. Bars fit to frame and not the belly pan which is better so I've been led to believe.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi Gents,

I see youre point about putting unecessary weight on bars, there is plenty of room for luggage elsewhere anyways.
Nice bikes you're showing there.I rode a fully loade Vara once, they are enormous but easy to handle. Nice RDO3 cant wait to get mine on the road properly.

I like the look of the motech/wemoto bars and definately white for the RD03 the only thing that puts me off is that they dont seem to offer protection to the upper fairing. I guess the handle bars would help there but a fall on rocky terrain could see the tops damaged.
Also they arent cheap and not far off the price of Hepco and Becker bars which are a nasty £170 thru M&P. I have tried to contact H&B to see if they will sell em cheaper but they dont reply and i cant read German so dont know whats going on at their site.

Are the SW Motech bars only available through Wemoto?
Is it possible to buy H&B bars direct?

Cheers Li.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks for that Grazzie.

Motobins 01775 680881

They are selling hepcko bars for £132 inc p n p.

Other AT bars there also if anyone interested.

Im not sure which ones to go for, the SW look sturdy but Hepcko have a gr8 reputation.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Nice wee trip to the Cat & Fiddle planned then you two?

You could always try that Stella-Alpina trip - looks like fun...

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice wee trip to the Cat & Fiddle planned then you two?

You could always try that Stella-Alpina trip - looks like fun...
Ended up in North Yorkshire close to were the national is this year
Took another hour to finish the engine bars - tricky bit with little room to work but pleased with the results

Ready for the off

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Looks good. Why didn't you ride the @ on TLD? No crash bars?

Lookin forward to the National if I ain't workin on the Tour of Britain, great conciliation prize!

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks good. Why didn't you ride the @ on TLD? No crash bars?

Lookin forward to the National if I ain't workin on the Tour of Britain, great conciliation prize!
Not had the @ long and I didn't have the panniers for it at the time. The vara eats the miles and is more comfortable for my svelt figure!
Why would I need crashbars ;)
Next time for tld will take far less kit and will probably take the @

·
RetroPhrenologist
329 Posts
Just fitted a set of the 'standard' bars meself -

Have found the brake lines slightly pinch on the upper mounting plate when on full lock - can still get steering lock on the left hand side, but the rhs pinches enough that I'd need to force it to lock-position. Anyone ground a bit off the upper mount-plate to overcome this??

(photopage)

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just fitted a set of the 'standard' bars meself -

Have found the brake lines slightly pinch on the upper mounting plate when on full lock - can still get steering lock on the left hand side, but the rhs pinches enough that I'd need to force it to lock-position. Anyone ground a bit off the upper mount-plate to overcome this??
Did initially have parts fouling but I loosened the bolts all-round and started again with the one behind the front forks. Tightened them to about 80% then did the ones at the belly pan and finally the ones at the engine. Seemed to work as I could control where the initially rubbing was going on. Hope that helps
Gary

1 - 15 of 15 Posts