Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the family present this year we wanted to buy a Wii - family friendly, easy to use fun yadda yadda yadda ...............

Then, at the shop, they had a kinect on demo - so easy, my lad (4yrs) even had a go and could do it (on easy). Not set up for us but none the less, we decided to buy one. My stepdaughter has one (an xbox) so we have access to quite a few games and we get 3 with the machine - only blinkin problem is that it has to stay hidden until 25/12!!!!!

Mind you, the LCD screen we also bought doesn't!:D

If in doubt - have a go - I was very impressed.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Better graphics than the wii, but not as good as the ps3, but I have a wii, and the family love it, great for little ones as the mii,s you make yourself to look like yourself so so everyone can see themselves, ( theres alot of "selves" in that sentence).
Anyway enjoy, any console that gets familys together cant be a bad thing, I,m aiming high for a 37" HD ready TV and PS3, but a wedding has to be paid for first so I,m going to have to be patient.

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn't just allow you to make you look like you - it actually recognises who is in front of the camera, voice control and yes amazing graphics!

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
For the family present this year we wanted to buy a Wii - family friendly, easy to use fun yadda yadda yadda ...............

Then, at the shop, they had a kinect on demo - so easy, my lad (4yrs) even had a go and could do it (on easy). Not set up for us but none the less, we decided to buy one. My stepdaughter has one (an xbox) so we have access to quite a few games and we get 3 with the machine - only blinkin problem is that it has to stay hidden until 25/12!!!!!

Mind you, the LCD screen we also bought doesn't!:D

If in doubt - have a go - I was very impressed.

My missis has been talking about a Wii and Wii fit so ithought about getter her one for xmas but them seen the MOVE for PS3 ( WE ALREADY HAVE A ps3) games look better than the Wii so might get her the move and some games to use it with also a lot cheaper

·
Adventurer
587 Posts
Im sorry to say I find this thread really sad...

What ever happened to building a Tree House with your kids or a model aeroplane?? It is so upsetting to see a generation of kids growing up not knowing what glow plug fuel or hot brushes running along the Scaleletrix track smells like...i could go on. Is it the consumeristic parents or society in general that will see a generation entertained by a TV screen and unable to use a penknife?? i don't know, but what i do know is that it is such a great shame :-(

·
Registered
318 Posts

What ever happened to building a Tree House with your kids or a model aeroplane?? It is so upsetting to see a generation of kids growing up not knowing what glow plug fuel or hot brushes running along the Scaleletrix track smells like...i could go on. Is it the consumeristic parents or society in general that will see a generation entertained by a TV screen and unable to use a penknife?? i don't know, but what i do know is that it is such a great shame :-(
One, I dont have a tree in my garden, so there.
No I do agree with you, but lets not be too hasty here, My 7 year old daughter is happy to while away a couple of hours on my scroll saw in the garage with me, when we go down the beach which is quite often living here, I,ll have her make a small fire to cook sausages on, she,s quite a pyro maniac now so best I lessen this outside activity:D Also I let her loose with the gps and we,ll all go geo caching on the moors.
As for my nephew, he is a computer/gaming geek, but he will quite happily sit down for a couple of days and make a model kit, or go out with his mates and do lads stuff up on the hill, I dont ask as he,s 13 and a teenager, you know what I mean.
But as I said too many parents are allowing their nippers to engross themselves in front of the tv playing games, its an easy way out for them, but judging by most of us on here it is a minority, these consoles are great fun and brilliant to have some family get togethers as long as you dont rely on them.
Oh has anyone managed to finish the bubble balance on wii fit plus yet?

·
Registered
454 Posts

My boys have an xbox each. But that doesn't mean the don't go out.:rolleyes:
They have a den in a woods down the road, a collection of nitro trucks which they control better than me, a trampoline, they also have a CRF50 that they enjoy riding.
So your view that consoles are killing childhood is totally wrong, its enhancing it.
Its the media that is killing childhood!

Parents that keep there children in because they are so scared they will be abducted, is a direct result of "adults" watching/reading to much news.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I bought a Wii a couple of years ago.
The intension was to get the Wii fit add-ons and use it for exercise.
It is now packed away with the Xbox 360.

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

If you think I am going to give my kids a knife, pen or otherwise, please think again, until they are alot older. I live in deepest suffolk - my boy, at 4yrs old, can identify every bird that comes into the garden, will happily spend ages with me in the shed tinkering on the bike, would rather spend time on the local rope slide than in the house and even in the pouring rain, has to go to the park to walk the dogs and if he has his dry suit on will go on the slide/swings etc. My daughter, at nearly 3 is about the same as the lad was at that age, but more so - a real tomboy. I build them dens out of whatever I can and right now, their favourite toys are the two boxes that the TV stand and the dishwasher came in.

My lads other fav toy is a remote control f1 car that I banned from the house due to ankle damage, so he marched outside, in the wet, as he was and didn't care.

But to deny them a games consol for the reasons you have given is a bit naff. I would rather they got used to stuff like this now rather than later, when I can control what they do on it and what games we buy.

Nowt sad about this thread mate - envy maybe?:thumbup:

·
East Coast Adventurer
46 Posts

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I came across your thread and thought that I will add my 5 pence to it :p

I might just have an answer that you are all searching for:

family( team effect) + outdoor activity= kite with mounted old camera

HOW-TO: Take digital photos from a kite--Part 1, the camera -- Engadget

HOW-TO: Take digital photos from a kite--Part 2, the kite and the pictures -- Engadget

You will then have mixture of old and unique ;)
Now THAT is groovy! I have a decent kite and the lad has his - Mersea here we come!

·
Adventurer
587 Posts

·
Adventurer
587 Posts
Well I guess I spent many hours in front of a Sinclair Spectrum as a child, sometimes playing games, sometimes programming yet I still got out to build a go cart and use my CB radio.

So I guess the conclusion is, if it's in moderation and the Games Console is not thing only thing they do then I'm sure the next generation will grow up fine, well descendants of you lot anyway. It is a genuine concern though, a mate of mine reckons that most kids these days think that Eggs come from Tesco they are so far removed from reality that they don't think to say chickens!!! :mumum:

Oh and another thing, on a campsite in France in the summer I noticed that the guy cleaning the floor of the toilet block had NOT put warning signs or cones out to warn people that the floor was slippy......on reflection of this interesting observation it occured to me that just maybe the French have something that our society is rapidly loosing...initiative..the inititative to see the floor is wet so to take care when walking on it!!! :cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts