Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Owner of Many ****ters!!!
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way back from dropping the TVR off for its service I thought I would pop into Guildford Harley Davidson and see what they had kicking around.

Well I have never really thought about getting a Harley but this bike caught my eye and I must admit I am now tempted!

Its a 2009 Iron 883 priced at £5915 OTR. Going back in a few weeks for a test ride. Much comfier to sit on than any other bike so far.

So what does everyone think?

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
If You like it, then buy it! :p

Just do not start changing the fork for a KTM USD, or add an engine skidplate or start putting on Metal Mule panniers,,, :D

although that would make a very interesting thread on the forum.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Have you got an old denim jacket with no sleeves, if so you must wear it over your jacket.

·
DILLIGAF
1,685 Posts
On my way back from dropping the TVR off for its service I thought I would pop into Guildford Harley Davidson and see what they had kicking around.

Well I have never really thought about getting a Harley but this bike caught my eye and I must admit I am now tempted!

Its a 2009 Iron 883 priced at £5915 OTR. Going back in a few weeks for a test ride. Much comfier to sit on than any other bike so far.

So what does everyone think?
The regular 883R sportster is a FANTASTIC bike to ride in my opinion, and that looks better, kind of menacing and moody :D. If you want it, get it !!

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
I like 'em!

i had an 883 for a week or so - felt cool!

but they are pretty small - if you are tall the first sight of your reflection in a window will make you think again!

Z:D

·
Mr Impulsive
471 Posts
53 bhp to move 550lbs dry of motorbike... :(
Though some of the Harleys look great (the showroom is 5 mins from me)
I think it's way too underpowered.
I know it's not designed to be anything but a cruiser,but still I think you'd soon get fed up with being overtaken by scooters and the like.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i had to pick up a 883 for a mate who bought one before he passed his test, i only had to ride it about 25 miles but it seemed like a lot further then that , dont wont to put you off but it reminded me of when i was 17 and riding a 125cc only differnce was it was a bit slower going around corners ..

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Harley's are a style icon would love to have one (ferk some one hit me with a sledge) but there is something about them, is it the noise or just the heritage that comes from being a part of the historic motor cycle company. One thing for sure the neighbours will love you when yo start it up at 0600, Sharrie used to:D:D

·
Posh Bird
562 Posts
Must admit I saw one of those too a few months back and I think it's stunning. I love the matt black finish and the lines are just beautiful. I think it's a piece of art.
But I've got no idea about how it rides, and I think I'd like something more practical. But if you love it, have ridden it, and have the money, then get it... why not :D

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
on the practicality point - they are ace on the fuel consumption front and as far as a commuter goes the 883 is mega, filters ok, frugal, belt drive, and in fairness i dunno how much lean is being used but at the same speeds as the vara on my commute around the same corners nothing ground out!

i appreciate im no valentino but unless you are trying to crank it right over there is more than enough ground clearance and the power is good for cruising at m-way speeds and still has a bit for overtaking!

and despite all of me screaming against it - the badge does carry the weight of history and kudos!

then again in my humble one so do:

BMW
Triumph
Honda
Moto-Guzzi

i know there are other iconic brands but of the ones that still make new bikes and big sales these must be the ones that get most folks misty eyed!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey hello Jem so this is where you hang out ;)

I agree it looks cool, if I were you I would try a 1200 as well, the 883 is not v powerful compared to the weight of the bike. Had an 883c for 2 years before my current bike (SV650n). I loved the look and the sound (got the louder pipes) but for the rest it wasn't easy to ride and it gave me neck and arm injuries, riding at speed (and I don't ride that fast at all) was a pain, all the bike wanted to do was blow you off and you were just holding on (I had a screen towards the end). Still have to visit the new Guildford shop. Let us know what you think. If you can afford it try the streetbob (dyna) with ape hangers in matt black, v cool. The dyna is the next one up from the Sportster.

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
In my experience I find most of the crap talked about Harleys is spouted by people who've never ridden one. Harley's certainly have an stereotypical image associated with them (as do big trail bikes) that you choose to buy into or not - it's not compulsory. Get the image issue out of the way and the Sportster is a very good, reliable, basic motorcycle that lends itself to modification, abuse, riding, long distance touring and all the other things we do with our Honda's with the possible exception of the off-road stuff.

At the end of the day, if you want the bike then buy one and enjoy it. What does it matter what everyone else thinks?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts