Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Wannabee Adventure Rider
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Me and my son Rob (RAW85) are off to the west country for a little jaunt next week on the Africa Twins. It will be our first trip together so really looking forward to it.

Can anyone recommend any campsites, firstly one near Plymouth and secondly one near St.Ives in Cornwall. We are staying near the New Forest on the way back.It is only a 4 day jaunt so we are looking for one night in each area.

Thanks for any recommendations.

·
Wannabee Adventure Rider
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks just emailed them.....

·
Stone Crazy
5,311 Posts
Yes I saw someone on another forum had been to Bluehills recently , and she was delighted with the place

·
Wannabee Adventure Rider
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellows all booked with Gary at Bluehills for the Friday night. Just looking for somewhere close to Plymouth for Thursday night now...

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Thanks fellows all booked with Gary at Bluehills for the Friday night. Just looking for somewhere close to Plymouth for Thursday night now...
Should have something in common to talk about with Gary and Louise as they did an around the world trip (offroad) on bikes about 2-3 years ago. If i remember correctly they used dr600 and a serow plus some other bikes. they are both in the same club as me

link below are for 2 of there different adventures

http://www.motoadventure.co.uk/

http://www.motoadventure.moonfruit.com/#

·
Wannabee Adventure Rider
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks Jason, we are looking forward to meeting them. I will have a read of the blogs before we go looks interesting.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Looks a realy nice site , I will have to pop down and give them a try .

·
Registered
752 Posts
You may have booked already but Round Hill campsite near Brockenhurst in New Forest is brilliant and Beachide near St.Ives right up there, best views of St.Ives and Godrevy you will ever want to wake up to

·
Wannabee Adventure Rider
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers Phil.........we are off tomorrow so will try and upload a few pictures of the trip later.
Loaded the panniers and a topbox, also a drybag across the pillion seat.
It is amazing how much stuff you seem to need, but it is our first real camping trip on the AT's so I reckon we will probably cut down next time. In fact it is the first camping trip that I have done for 35 years but looking forward to it.
If anyone in the Area wants to met up let us know. Will be near Noss Mayo (Plymouth) tomorrow evening, Bluehills at St.Agnes on Friday and somewhere in the New Forest on Saturday......
Hopefully no breakdowns or punctures......

·
Registered
752 Posts
Just got back from a trip home to St.Ives to see the family, keep a watchful eye on the idiots in cars that have no idea where they are going, indicators don't exist, last minute changes in direction are apparently compulsory and being stopped in the middle of the road after a blind bend quite likely!

I can highly recommend a trip from St.Agnes where you are staying down through Porthtowan, Portreath and along the coast road to Godrevy or if you get a chance the road from St.Ives to Lands End that goes through Zennor is one that will bring a smile to your face with some breath taking scenery, natural and man made. Bottallack mine is on that route and is the one with the two engine houses down on the cliffs and worth a stop off at if you like that sort of thing.

Oh and Smokey Joe's Truck Stop in Scorrier which is 10 mins ride from St.Agnes may well be the best breakfast place in Kernow...

Enjoy the trip!

·
Wannabee Adventure Rider
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info Phil, will give the truckstop a try for sure.......:cool:

·
Stone Crazy
5,311 Posts
Yes Smokey Joes at Scorrier is legendary, Jason will tell you the same I reckon , It is a few years since i have been there , but if you want sunday dinner there you need to be in on saturday sitting down to get a place

·
Wannabee Adventure Rider
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looking at the map is the truckstop on the A30 main road?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Just off it on a small road running parallel to it at that point, from St Agnes you won't touch the A30, but go on the small road through blackwater

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Just got back from a trip home to St.Ives to see the family, keep a watchful eye on the idiots in cars that have no idea where they are going, indicators don't exist, last minute changes in direction are apparently compulsory and being stopped in the middle of the road after a blind bend quite likely!

I can highly recommend a trip from St.Agnes where you are staying down through Porthtowan, Portreath and along the coast road to Godrevy or if you get a chance the road from St.Ives to Lands End that goes through Zennor is one that will bring a smile to your face with some breath taking scenery, natural and man made. Bottallack mine is on that route and is the one with the two engine houses down on the cliffs and worth a stop off at if you like that sort of thing.

Oh and Smokey Joe's Truck Stop in Scorrier which is 10 mins ride from St.Agnes may well be the best breakfast place in Kernow...

Enjoy the trip!
Brilliant scenery, but the back roads are pretty narrow ;)
I remember I started a thread way back saying how I enjoyed thrashing my car on the deserted Highland roads.
Jackdaw from Cornwall came back to me saying he couldn't believe how I could manage the ton twenty on any roads in the UK other than a motorway. :confused:

I now know what he was talkng about :D

Nevertheless, a beautiful part of the UK planning on going back one day with the strange one, she loved it :thumbleft:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Narrow roads and hedges that are usually made of granite, fantastic combination when you throw a few blind bends and oncoming tractors into the mix!

Still wish I was there, had serious trouble dragging myself back to London on Monday...

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Yes Smokey Joes at Scorrier is legendary, Jason will tell you the same I reckon , It is a few years since i have been there , but if you want sunday dinner there you need to be in on saturday sitting down to get a place
Yes s*it hot food great breakfasts, depending on which one you have also evening meals are fantastic and steak or curry night is normally fully booked well in advance.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts