Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bear with me. Once more I have had a case of my imagination totally outstripping my mechanical competence with yet another "what if...?" moment.

So here it is: in my quest to find a bike that won't break the bank and will reliably and cheaply keep me mobile in the years to come, I started thinking about a rusting K750 chassis that I know is in someone's garden. I then thought how it would be nice to get it blasted then powdercoated. Then came the thoughts of getting it into "rolling chassis condition with some nice wheels and suspension....

But what engine?
I thought K series BM, Royal Enfield, Triumph twin etc. Then I thought diesel and that led to a car engine!

Reliability and economy: would be big musts. Naturally, it would need to be small and not too heavy (although I know that is a stretch with diesels). Perhaps the VW POLO triple?

I thought a torquey engine could perhaps have fewer gears, too!

So engine nominees?

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Royal Enfield (India) make a diesel version of the Bullet called the Taurus.. It looks orrible and goes even worse but it's an interesting concept. The engine came from a generator or ditch pump (a bit like my beemer then :) )

·
Captain unsensible.......
2,553 Posts
smart do a 1 litre diesel which is reliable

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
How about the old Diahatsu Charade, think it was a 3 cyl 1ltr turbo diesel.
Avoid the modern common rail engines - far too complicated, expensive if they (their components) go wrong & would need a ton of wiring & all the associated electronics boxes to go with them to make them work (maybe....)

How about a simpe air cooled petrol like the old fiat 126s/2cv etc......

Phil

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think that diesel could be a nice option: mega MPG, good torque, usually reliable, could be run on biodiesel/chip fat etc.

If I'm going to build a bike (big IF, admittedly), I may as well try and make it into my ideal machine: reliable, simple, "overlandy" and economical/relatively ecological.

A 1 litre diesel would be plenty. Turbo might be a bit nuts: On the plus side, image if, like a Boss Hoss, I could get away with a single forward gear, aiming for a top speed of say 120mph, in a light chassis. I could perhaps have a low ratio option for crappy terrain.

Imagine:
An overlanding, turbo-diesel twist and go motorbike with a 600 mile range, under 200kg!!:p

(OK, OK... getting ahead of myself)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Didn't the earlier Daihatsu Charades have a non-turbo diesel triple? The bodies were like biscuit tins and rusted out, so there might be some left in scrappies.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All this sounds interesting. Some nice possibilities, provided these lumps are small enough to fit in a bike frame

But am I dreaming?
Is this remotely realistic for someone who has a head for solving problems, but lacks advanced tech knowhow...?

Is a single speed box realistic?
Is adding a low ratio cog plausible?
Could such an engine be put in a bike frame and it remain rideable, not just an exercise in eccentricity?

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
I seem to remember a thread on one of the Triumph forums about fitting an Italian made diesel into Tigers, will see if I can find it and post a link.:thumbright:

Andy.

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Here's some pics of a very tidy German reg'd diesel Enfield I saw in Wales last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
The royal enfeid diesel is called the Robin.

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
I think that diesel could be a nice option: mega MPG, good torque, usually reliable, could be run on biodiesel/chip fat etc.

If I'm going to build a bike (big IF, admittedly), I may as well try and make it into my ideal machine: reliable, simple, "overlandy" and economical/relatively ecological.

A 1 litre diesel would be plenty. Turbo might be a bit nuts: On the plus side, image if, like a Boss Hoss, I could get away with a single forward gear, aiming for a top speed of say 120mph, in a light chassis. I could perhaps have a low ratio option for crappy terrain.

Imagine:

An overlanding, turbo-diesel twist and go motorbike with a 600 mile range, under 200kg!!:p

(OK, OK... getting ahead of myself)

Warthog, your dream bike is available, its called the Track T-800CDI it uses the smart engine with an automatic gearbox, dry overlanding would be no problem but wading is restricted due to the gearbox cooling. I had a good look at the intermot and was impressed. the front fairing was a bit marmite but the concept was there. I spoke to the frame designer for a good half hour he was very proud of his baby. there are a few utube links if you search about.
eva-track-t-800cdi-p-5_1280x0w.jpg
Track Dieselmotorfietsen - Track T-800CDI 1E - Dieselmotorfiets

I asked about the fuel quality, ie would it cope with rough diesel and he started to laugh.
as a test they refined body fat from a surgery and drove on that!!!!!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
That bike does look great, but is pretty expensive, isn't it?

To be honest, I just fancy try my hand at a build from scratch. It may end up being an expensive waste of time, but who knows...?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts