Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I also have had my AT for five years from new, mine has let me down, due to Honda`s poor build quality [ a total stripdown due to a gear box failure]

What do you buy ?

BMW who's build quality has fallen, or tart up your AT.

MAKE YOUR AT NEW AGAIN. Despite problems with mine I still love it to bits. I look in the Garage and see it standing there.... Grin Factor... :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
890 Posts
Rob, If you're thinking about it then you have doubts!! Don't sell it on mileage alone. Mine has done 86,000kms and hasn't missed a beat other than a couple of small niggling electrical faults.
The sidestand switch and kill switch have both been replaced due only to wear and tear. It never lets me down even though I do all my own servicing. It gets looked after and cleaned but, not pampered!
It is a 1993 RD07, in the proper colour of black and silver and is easy to work on by the average 'Joe'.
There's a lot of mileage in it yet. :p

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm in a similar situation. I have a 1991 RD04, which has just had its engine rebuilt (by me), due to a gearbox bearing failure (probably carrying to heavy a pillion without enough chain slack).

Having rebuilt the engine, and it ran graet for a week, it's now running like a dog. 3,000 revs is about it, then a really bad misfire. Garage mechanic did a phone diagnosis of knackered piston rings, but I'm hoping he's wrong.

Do I flog it whilst its still running, or do I get my fingers dirty again?

For those who may be able to shed some more light on this, please refer to 'Another engine Rebuild) thread.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Andy, if you had bad piston rings you would have also low compression and lots of crank case pressure. I remember you saying earlier that oil appears in the air box, which could be the case.

However, normally if you have worn engine it runs better on higher revs compared to lower range as the compression "won't have time to escape" so readily on high engine speeds.

A compression (or even better, a leakage) test would ascertain the mechanical condition of the engine. To me it it sounds more like carburation or ignition problem. In RD07 defective regulator/rectifier stops the engine revving higher than approx. 3000 due to over voltage protection on CDI units.

As of Rob's question: If it runs fine there is no reason why it would not do the same for another five years. The possibility of something going wrong of course gets bigger, but it would most likely be something small like fuel pump. I'm not sure if early RD07 sufferers from "total electronics meltdown" if the regulator goes which can happen on RD04. I know of a bike in Finland where CDI units, instruments, fried with overvoltage when reg failed causing about £1000 worth of damage.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Rob,

To answer your original question ... I normally find that I decide against getting rid of a vehicle the moment a dealer insults me with the part exchange value.

Samih - Cheers for the advice - I do hope that it is something simple. My local dealer painted a rather bleak picture, so maybe I'll try and sort it out for myself, rather than just get rid of it. It will certainly be a more satisfying outcome.

·
Need Constant Supervision
2,495 Posts
I have one of those compression testers if you want to check and make sure the rings is still fine.
Normally Haynes etc will give a minum or max rate of what the compression should be. Have you checked that all the oil breather pipes etc is not bend or blocked. That can cause some degree of pressure in the crankcase.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts