Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
hey dave there is people who bring bikes from the uk to Ireland by van with companys who are dedicated to doing so and I know there is bikes being sent in the opposite direction . check out biker.ie and you can use the search bar to find plenty of threads on it . I think its about 300 euro to do so also try donedeal.ie just type in motorcycle transportation . good luck wit it .

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for that, I would want to try the bike first, dont like buying blind - Fuel, ferry, grub etc about £200 so it's not that bad.

Just wondering if anyone has any buying tips on the 650 and also, do you think this is cheap too?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Saw this when it came online, pic's look good price seems decent, thing is the distance/cost. If I were going I would want to treat as a break and have a look round while I was there, I certainly would never buy blind. And don't forget one of the main things to check/know is that the output shaft is OK I for one would never buy without checking this.

Re. not buying blind I once took car and trailer over four hundred miles (round trip) to buy a BM and came back WITHOUT it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi Dave,looks a nice tidy bike.Obviously not original colour but hey,does it matter.Chain might look a bit tight in pictures,a big no no on these.Can cause output shaft wear,plus might not have fitted genuine front sprocket as he has had new chain etc recently,another no no . Other than that,wheel corrosion can be an issue.Pictures can decieve ,but seen a lot worse for more money.Ultra reliable if regurlarly serviced and at that mileage should be for years to come.Hope that helps.Regards Nick.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks VERY much for this info :) Thats a big help to us. Pictures are so deceiving at times as you've got to stand 6ft away to get the bike in shot, so that alone can really hide things. My old Daytona looked mint form 6 ft away lol !!!... but wasn't.

Thanks again everyone :)

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Looks good for the money :)
There is nothing specific to check on the 650s.
As mentioned, output shaft & rims for corrosion.

Travelling for a bike can be a good excuse for a trip somewhere you otherwise may not have gone :)

Good luck Dave

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funny you should say that..... looks like now there are three of us and it would be rude not to stay over and sample local ales :p

Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thats probably an old PSNI Bike. If you wish there are probably several people here who could look at it for you?
There are no licencing issues when moving a bike from Northern Ireland to GB, the only difference is the plate is a diffenet number form, my old 650 was PUI 8574 for instance. There was a local licencing system until last year when it moved to Swansea as a money saving excersize.

About £40 one way Belfast Carinryan on the ferry should get if over to GB if you're in the 'north' of the country.

Regards
Graeme

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers Graeme, we think you're right on the police bike - would have been well looked after I guess!

Will come back to this page and report back if / when we get there - other bikes on the radar too :)

Thanks !

·
Registered
187 Posts
You can always ask for a Freedom of Information request from the PSNI. My son bought one of their Duevilles from a trader and got the FOI. And it was well looked after.

G

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice idea, but that may take a while I am guessing? Mate has contacted the seller with a few questions, haven't heard back as yet.

How long did this take for your friend? Can this be done by phone?

Cheers for that,

D

·
Registered
163 Posts
My 2000 650V-Y is ex police. It had 23,000 on it when I got it. Found this site and started reading about the output shaft problem, thought I had better check! Sure enough, quite a bit of play and wear. I think the police mechanics must have been sticking to the handbook and setting the chain too tight. I made it last to 49,500 and swapped the engine for a nice 10,000 miler from a wrecked 2006 bike. Even that has a bit of wear but it should last a long long time. I think they all wear to an extent but I blame over tight chains for most of the excessive wear we hear about.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HI all, thank you ALL very much for your replies and advice, unfortunately, there has been no reply from the seller as yet to our enquiries so we'll not be going to Ireland this weekend :(

Will keep you posted with any new developments.

Cheers all, thanks again

1 - 16 of 16 Posts