Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, despite my ramblings, I am soooo tempted by the new Africa Twin, I'm now working out finances.

Wonder what you guys think my Alp is worth? :confused:

Rough Spec.....

• 1996 Alp (one of the nicest colours me thinks)
• 38k miles (ish)
• Plenty of wear in the Tourance types both front and back
• Ive replaced the old grips with OE, OE bars, OE hand guards, new screen
• Oil, filter, plugs every 3,000 miles (my paranoia)
• Spotlights are superb! LED so no big battery drain, riding at night a joy!
• Flew thorough MOT in July
• Fuel can still has baffles, so very quiet on tick-over so you dont wake the kids / wife on a Sunday ride out at 8am:thumb: Sounds really good at 2,000 RPM and over

She's not mint, a few scuffs to the fairing as expected. She's 20 years young in 2016 !:D

If my Alp is only really worth £1200-£1300 then I'll not sell. I am hoping towards £1800+ I cant seem to find any bike this colour and all the bikes I see in dealers are CRAZY prices, even bikes that are really old - Saw a tatty TDM850 for £2200 at a second hand dealer and a really tatty Dominator for £1600 !!!

Thanks everyone ! :D

my-alp.jpg

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Dave you got sucked into the hype surrounding the new Africa twin . how about take your time and wait until they become available for a test ride to see how actual super duper they are before you put your wife and mother on the game and send your children out to sell heroin and mug granny's so you can afford one :lol: no point in putting yourself under mad pressure to buy one if your are on a high income and your can more than comfortably afford one
then go for it but if you have to think about you don't need the grief .

trust me I know all about it I borrowed a lot of money for a bike years ago the payments were only 65 euro a week over 5 years the bank made a couple of grand off the deal . it was fine while I was working but then I found myself out of work and only 65 euro a week suddenly seems like a lot of money . that's a grand Transalp you have and a credit to you . I remember you buying it well you held out for the right bike . it will do everything a brand new Africa twin will except rob your pocket between repayments higher insurance costs and main dealer service charges to keep it in warranty . have a good think about man before you sigh yourself into big dept if you don't have that kind of cash in your arse pocket :thumbup: at the very least have a test ride to see if its all that before you order one .

·
Registered
843 Posts
Well in May '15 I paid £1500 for a later '01 Translalp with 29k and full Honda luggage & extras.

So somewhere in the ballpark between £1000-£1500 for your nicely kept version if you can find an agreeable buyer.

Heck there's a couple of much more powerful low milage Varaderos going for £2000 odd on eBay (private sales) that aren't shifting...

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave you got sucked into the hype surrounding the new Africa twin . how about take your time and wait until they become available for a test ride to see how actual super duper they are before you put your wife and mother on the game and send your children out to sell heroin and mug granny's so you can afford one :lol: no point in putting yourself under mad pressure to buy one if your are on a high income and your can more than comfortably afford one
then go for it but if you have to think about you don't need the grief .

trust me I know all about it I borrowed a lot of money for a bike years ago the payments were only 65 euro a week over 5 years the bank made a couple of grand off the deal . it was fine while I was working but then I found myself out of work and only 65 euro a week suddenly seems like a lot of money . that's a grand Transalp you have and a credit to you . I remember you buying it well you held out for the right bike . it will do everything a brand new Africa twin will except rob your pocket between repayments higher insurance costs and main dealer service charges to keep it in warranty . have a good think about man before you sigh yourself into big dept if you don't have that kind of cash in your arse pocket :thumbup: at the very least have a test ride to see if its all that before you order one .

Yep. You're right.
I wont buy without a test ride and I do still have general concerns about the new bike. The NEC and a test ride might help :D
High earner? Errr..... nope.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Dave you got sucked into the hype surrounding the new Africa twin . how about take your time and wait until they become available for a test ride to see how actual super duper they are before you put your wife and mother on the game and send your children out to sell heroin and mug granny's so you can afford one :lol: .
Hell alias!! talk about costs going up, one time o the day all you had to do to buy an expensive bike was to sell your grandma :)

Did the same as you back in the seventies and always skint, but looking back I enjoyed them bikes and no real regrets :D

If I was fit enough to get some real use out of a new africa twin I would'nt think twice, ya only here once.

BUT still would'nt part with my alp.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Looks a good example in the photo.

I've recently setup as a bike trader, a bike is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

You could advertise it for £2000, you'll have to hang onto it for a long while while you wait for the buyer to whom your bike is exactly the right colour/example they want.

A garage will stick a higher price on it purely as it gives people confidence in the bike, they have somewhere to return it, assume it's been checked over and can usually pay with a credit card.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, looks like we're in the £1400-£1500 mark, hey ho!

Food for thought, if all goes well might pop it up at £1600 and see what happens, if we're looking more like £1200 then I'll not sell - Might as well keep her for that kind of cash :D

Forgot to mention, I took the panniers off, but these come with the bike, or could pop them on Ebay - Old Amo Boxes :toothy10: Dont think it will add much to value.....

alp-3.jpg

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
the way I see things is it is a better bike than a new Ducati scrambler or a new Triumph Bonneville scrambler . if you would like a new Ducati scrambler and you live in Ireland you will need 10000 euro so if all you have to spend is 2000 euro then your screwed all you can do is like to have one but if you would like to have a Transalp 600 you can just go out and buy one . I only paid 1100 for my one 3 years ago and it still going strong it has cost me less than 400 euro a year to ride this bike and I still have it and I cant see why it wont last another 3 years or I could just sell it and get my money back . all that glitters is not gold if I had 10000 and I bought a brand new ducati scrambler if I could get one for that they might cost 11 ? I ride it for a year not much maybe 1000 miles then I decide to sell it how much would I get for it 9000 euro maybe less ? probably be the same with the Africa twin . I vote to keep that lovely Transalp you have if I had it ,it wouldn't be going anywhere and that's the truth :thumbup:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good thinking alias and you've got strong points here. I think I have 'shiny new bike syndrome' as my mates have all got 'new' ish bikes and they are awesome. So 'tight', quick and superb to ride; yes, they are tied to dealers for servicing / warranty, but the trade off is having the uber new, super performing bike :D I do think there is also an 'age' thing going in here - I'm knocking on the door of 50 (OMG), and potentially income, prospects, are on the downward slope now, so I am struggling with this whole 'life-is-too-short' feeling. Sod it - get one. :thumb:

As a middle-aged cynic, Ive spend my life moving house, buying kitchens, a new combi boiler, looking after old parents, paying for new windows, yadda yadda, I just think if ever there was a time to get a new bike so I can actually pay the payments back, and as a treat for me, its about now ish. Its not a done deal, if the new AT is 7 out of 10, forget it. My mate's new KTM1050 is bloody good - might get one of them - but that's another story.

To sum this up - I'm not getting any richer or younger by the day :confused: I'd hate to look back and wish I had got one.........

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I'd keep the Alp. I guarantee you will regret selling it.

how badly do you need £1,500? It's not a life changing sum of money.

If you want a new Africa Twin or something new and shiny, go get one, and you will always have the Alp to go back to or use as a cheap winter hack.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'd keep the Alp. I guarantee you will regret selling it.

how badly do you need £1,500? It's not a life changing sum of money.

If you want a new Africa Twin or something new and shiny, go get one, and you will always have the Alp to go back to or use as a cheap winter hack.
Gotta say I agree.

But I'd go a stage further, wait a year and buy a year old AT that's already depreciated by £1500

:thumbup:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I will regret selling I think - but it would make the AT £1500 cheaper !!

Cheers for comments everyone :thumb:

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
trust me, do NOT sell the transalp

nice 600 transalps are getting rarer and rarer. just look at the ebay/gumtree thread. plenty of rough high-miles ones, not many well-cared for ones (unless you fancy a trip to germany!)

i'd mothball the transalp, it's not going to lose much value. maybe get the nice new shiny bike and then see how you feel after 6 months. you might surprise yourself on what such a great bike the 600 Alp really is.....

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks of this feedback - I am starting to think along the same lines now - Keep the Alp as she's not going to lose too much from now on, in fact, might even go up!
I am reluctant to sell her so that's made my mind up.

Cheers all! Happy Friday :thumb: :D

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
hear is a compromise for you keep the Transalp and buy a Honda vfr1200 crosstourer an early one I seen some a while back on e bay starting at £6000 . if I had a few pound that's what I would be going for a friend has a 1999 vfr 800 I haven't ridden it yet but the sound of the v4 engine is pure magic I think a 1200 cc v4 with long travel suspension would be a very sensual machine to ride :cool: it wont deprecate in value over a couple of years if only rode occasionally and big mileage is not racked up on it :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts