Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i'm looking to modify my front suspension. can you guys share some experience?

what i wanna change is:

1 i want the front end to sit higher, not necessarily dive less under braking but if front is higher i can put the preload up on the back without the bike tipping forward.

2 i wanna get more ground clearance, went out for a ride in the mourne mountings saturday and the bike bottomed out a few times, not the suspension but under the engine coming off big rocks at slow speed, a bit better when faster.

3 maybe some sort of fork preload adjustment, any aftermarket ones or retrofitted from other bikes

i've had hagon springs fited to my transalp it made a big diference but it didn't raise the front that much

please note that i would go for the cheaper option always so what works best?

thanks guys

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but that's a bit extreme for me. the bike is used for courier work most of the time with the odd weekend off road. Thete's no point me spending to much money on a bike that i'm only expecting to get two years out of.

Plus i'm pretty sure all those mods will cancel my insurance.

fork spring or other tricks will have to do for me. keep them coming!

·
Registered
17 Posts
With standard fork springs, adding preload increases the ride height (so long as you don't put on a few stone yourself in the meantime that is).

Find a piece of tube of the correct diameter, cut it to length stick it in each of the forks.

Can't get cheaper & easier than that I'm afraid; unless you haven't already raised the forks as high as they'll go in the yokes that is.

Good luck.

Dick

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, i think i might go for that unless somehow i can find the money to get wp or touratech springs(5 months old boys are expencive this days)

do progresive springs increase the ride height by much anyway?

can't say i'll be able to do it myself, i'll get my mechanic to do it at the next big service, he's very good and they give me 15% discount on everything. Owens bros in belfast by the way.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Forks

Hi eugen
I have to admit I have always found Owens to be on the expensive side.
I use either stephen murphy in Newtownards , he's very good at tuning or a bloke called Paul Waddel near saintfield who set up my forks. Hes very good at set up and works on mine. Both are definately cheaper than Owens.
Phoenix

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know they are but the 15% off helps.

when i bought my transalp off them they gave me 1000£ off the new price. Can't complane about that.

A

·
0 Posts
Hi,
my guess would be to concentrate on the rear spring. Most weight is on the back anyway. My experience is that riding two up does not make much of a difference on the front. While braking, yes, it dives a lot more.

But I just lowered the front (raised the forks through the yokes by 1 cm), and this meant a big difference in handling. Even if it is just between my ears.... :flower:

Tijn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts