Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...that gets me going inside??

Coming from a sports bike background I often find myself yearning for another just for the 170mph blasts etc.

However Ive now realised that I only think this when I havent ridden it for a few days and my brain gets ticking.

Once Im back out on it I realise what Ive missed and fall in love all over again.

Even being out with sports bike riding mates I dont get discouraged as when the bends come, I dont get left behind, infact most of the time Im in front on the bends!

Some of my mates say "when you gonna get another sports bike?" and all I can think is well, Ive been there done that, those bikes to me were disposable as your always thinking about next years more updated version etc.
Theres just no soul in it, the sports bike riders are just so shallow, not even talking to you at bike meets, how pathetic, I could be a lot faster than they are, how do they know Im not!!!

My AT has grabbed hold of me, I bought it as a bit of a trial as I always fancied one but worried that I would get bored. I havent.
Its like the AT has got me like you would expect a Ducati or Harley would, its different and gets the emotions flowing.

Africa Twin, amazing for a Jap bike I say.

Ryan

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sports bikes are all about image and pose whereas the @ for me is what biking is really all about you fill it up and off you go where ever and when ever you want.
My latest bit of fun is to load mine up with my golf clubs and disappear for the day to some remote golf course up north thus combining my two passions couldn't do that on a gixerr1bladeninja. :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
I think we all know what you mean Boons. Its an awesome bike.
As has been said many a time before the bike is much greater that the sum of the parts. Bloody shame that Mr Honda didn't wake up to this. I suppose not enough were sold at the end of the day. So the costs of meeting new regulations just didn't stack up.
Grrrrr.

As to combining my AT with my other hobbies, fishing in my case, I haven't quite managed it. I need to buy a decent telescopic rod, and some other bits that pack small, as trying to transport my current set-up requires a large car boot never mind a bike! I'd really like to get this sorted though so that I can get to some inaccessible places.

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
I always wanted one because they are so big and have a huge presence, when you ride one and can see over all the cars and hedges you get a real feeling that you are free and unrestricted, when your mates on sports bikes are still trying to look round a mini, just glance over the roof and whizz past the pair of them.
:lol:

·
Registered
269 Posts
The first reason i wanted 1 is because i'm crazy about the Dakar rally. Wanted 1 even before i got my license. Ended up after i got the license on a naked bike followed by 3 sportbikes. Why? Dunno really. I got fed up with sportbikes and testdrove a number of bikes and after my first run on a AT i was sold. Awesome bike!! Can keep up with my brothers ZX12R on the twistys.

·
ignore the vain
943 Posts
good all year round bike cheap to run easy to maintain unless you lose a pipe of course :oops:
rugged user freindly good view and dare I say it sensible only other bike I would consider is the varadero simply because its similar with more power!!!

And mostly because for the first time in 5 years it actually puts a smile on my face :!:
Its awful when bikes become transport its like being seventeen again 10 years on ridden just about everything on two wheels and the @t makes me giggle :laughing6:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Can someone explain to me about the twisties?
Why/How is the AT or the TA for that matter quicker through them than sportsbikes? :eek:

Are we talking short or long bends?

cheers

Chucky

·
Registered
269 Posts
In short bends a TA/AT is easier to flick around, they have enough torgue to pull out of those corners, even while banked over. Better sight around the bends. Just to name a few points

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
ChuckyAirLaw said:
Can someone explain to me about the twisties?
In my humble opinion a big trailie will only be faster than a sportsbike on rough roads. I would leave myself for dead if on a sportsbike and a smooth road, however twisty. But throw in some overbanding, a handfull of potholes, the odd manhole cover, and top it off with some loose gravel around the edges (pretty much a typical Welsh road) and I'll be chucking the AT into bends just as fast. I think it all comes down to confidence. With wide handlebars, an upright riding position, and long travel suspension, you've so much more confidence to carry corner speed. (And you have to carry corner speed because a 1 litre sportsbike pi$$es all over the AT in terms of power and torque!)

My 2 pence worth.

Iain

1 - 9 of 9 Posts