Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this might sound obvious being an M14 repair kit, but I need to repair a spark plug hole on my Suzi.
Today, I bought an M14 by 1.25 pitch kit and it says to use the right drill bit:rolleyes:
I have to drill out the hole to the required size!!!!
Can someone give me the definitive answer.
Cheers:thumbup:
John

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
do'es it not say on the instructions what size drill bit to use? strange!
I usualy just take an educated guess and air on the too small size and work up on a test piece first just to make sure:thumbup:

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It just says 'Using a standard drill to the specified size on the kit'
Well it doesn't say on the kit, unless it means 14mm

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
do you still have your Gt 250 and what one is it

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I've never helicoiled before, I just didn't know if the hole was bigger to take the insert.

You ask me if I still have the GT250, I've only just got it!

As to what year it is.... Interesting question...

The bike is registered 1977
The frame is 1977

However, the engine has 5 numbers in the serial so is earlier; the fins look like 1971

GT250

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Yeah I see what you mean it's got gt250b-c parts attached to an older model,at least it's not that orrible ram air job.
I had a GT 250 A and loved that bike dearly,I can still remember every nut and bolt,I got 120mph in less than a mile on the clock of that bike after I tuned it up and tuned my friends up to 111mph.
Those were the days:thumbup:

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You'll be glad to know that last week's first test ride, I got 40mph!!

It bogged out totally and when I got to a hill I was lucky to make it up.

Carbs off this week, but could be coils; all fun

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BTW, it's the other way round. A 1977 bike with older bits fitted and tank sprayed to look like a 71 model; also has a T500 tail light

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
Yeah I see what you mean it's got gt250b-c parts attached to an older model,at least it's not that orrible ram air job.
I had a GT 250 A and loved that bike dearly,I can still remember every nut and bolt,I got 120mph in less than a mile on the clock of that bike after I tuned it up and tuned my friends up to 111mph.
Those were the days:thumbup:
i see you had a Gt with a optimistic speedo as well then , i passed my mate on my RD the RD clocking 95 , he said that RD goes quick the GT was saying 115 when you passed me
merv

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
the speedo cable is on the wrong side for 1974 ram air model and onwards I am certain it was on the right and the swinging arm is wrong to,mine was just round steel

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I'll have to dig out my old GT 250 Haynes manual:thumbup:

·
Registered
485 Posts
I had one of the Ram Air ones.It did about 60mph flat out with an enormous smokescreen following it up the road.I think the crankseals were knackered although it was over twenty years ago so my memories of it are a bit vague:D

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I know this might sound obvious being an M14 repair kit, but I need to repair a spark plug hole on my Suzi.
Today, I bought an M14 by 1.25 pitch kit and it says to use the right drill bit:rolleyes:
I have to drill out the hole to the required size!!!!
Can someone give me the definitive answer.
Cheers:thumbup:
John
12.8mm is the tapping drill for M14 thread. 13mm will be fine it will just truncated the thread a little bit. I hate helicoils they are only ever a temporary fix we use them at work and they never seem to last very long

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
be careful, 12.8 might be the right drill for tapping a M14 but if its its a M14 helicoil then the hole must be drilled bigger, then tapped for the insert then the helicoil takes it down to 14mm. the helicoil website says M14 coarse tapping drill size is 14.5mm, M14 fine is 14.25/14.5

·
Nexus 6
1,320 Posts
Normally for metric the hole size is the thread diameter (14mm in this case) minus the pitch so for a 14 x 1.25 it would be a 12.75mm drill, but as pointed out, the sizes for inserts can often be a bit different to make up for the diameter of the wire used in the insert......

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All done guys:D
Suprised how well it went, but it all seems secure and I'm very happy:thumbup:
Used a 14mm drill bit, then used the tap with the kit, threaded in the insert, all done.
Right, baffles out, check them, reset points as different gaps, test ride, if still top speed of 40 with massive bogging, crank seals:(
But, here's hoping:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts