Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To cut a long story short, last week I needed to replace a rear wheel bearing, found a site on the net(uk) that said enter make, model & year. The next day I bought all 3 of the rear bearings using the codes taken off the net. WRONG bearings, knackered 20miles!!! An engineering/bike racer told me that you shouldn't use C1-C5 bearings on bike wheels(unless you're going for the land speed record on a bike) this was backed up by the man I bought the correct bearings from the following day(different supplier, he'd been there 30+years, knew his pigeons). So ok, my fault for not looking on the tech data pages on xrv.org first.
Today decided to change the front bearings too, Once bitten twice shy.. lets look on the Micro fiche pages on xrv.org, Ok... off to the shop we go.
Just got home, taken the wheel off, bearing came out easily enough, new shiny fresh out of the freezer popped in beautifully, turned the wheel round to replace the speedo side......... to find it's not the same size. F###! B#######! Artic Roll!
The microfiche says 6203-2rs x2, my front wheel has 1x 6203 & a larger 6303 on speedo side, which is ... er.... correct? is my wheel off a land rover?
easy to change but.. twice bitten..
xrv750 rd07a 1998. thanks for any info

:violent1: :banghead: :crybaby:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
your wheel is off a landrover.

The fronts are the same both sides.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
To cut a long story short, last week I needed to replace a rear wheel bearing, found a site on the net(uk) that said enter make, model & year. The next day I bought all 3 of the rear bearings using the codes taken off the net. WRONG bearings, knackered 20miles!!! An engineering/bike racer told me that you shouldn't use C1-C5 bearings on bike wheels(unless you're going for the land speed record on a bike) this was backed up by the man I bought the correct bearings from the following day(different supplier, he'd been there 30+years, knew his pigeons). So ok, my fault for not looking on the tech data pages on xrv.org first.
Today decided to change the front bearings too, Once bitten twice shy.. lets look on the Micro fiche pages on xrv.org, Ok... off to the shop we go.
Just got home, taken the wheel off, bearing came out easily enough, new shiny fresh out of the freezer popped in beautifully, turned the wheel round to replace the speedo side......... to find it's not the same size. F###! B#######! Artic Roll!
The microfiche says 6203-2rs x2, my front wheel has 1x 6203 & a larger 6303 on speedo side, which is ... er.... correct? is my wheel off a land rover?
easy to change but.. twice bitten..
xrv750 rd07a 1998. thanks for any info

:violent1: :banghead: :crybaby:

The wheel might have been mullered by the last muppet that beat the bearing out, it's very easy to correct it by machining out to take the next size up bearing

·
How much is the fish?
422 Posts
The 6202 is the correct size for both sides. This bearing is 40mm dia x 12mm thick. The 6303 is 47mm dia x 14mm thick. So it does sound like your hub has been machined to take the larger bearing.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Transalp wheel bearings are as you describe (i.e, different on each side)
is the said TA wheel twin disc & have the plastic disc hub covers ? Had no qualms with the wheel, true, straight and it seems much newer than the rear.. hub, s/s spokes and the rim is corrosion free.(wish the same could be said for the rear).
as my grandad used to say, "tiz satday nint n a man deserves a pint"

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Jarl, didn't seem butchered, in fact apart from the salt corrosion which occurred due to her being left/stranded for a month outside during the snow it looks perfect compared to the rear! just going to check if a transalp rear will fit for when rear hub gets re-rimmed.

·
Registered
779 Posts
If you're swapping rims be sure to check that you're not running inapropriate tyres for the rims. Not sure what the AT has (If it's the same as the TA then you don't need to worry!) but on the TA it's 90/90 on the front and 130/80 on the rear. Apparently going too wide on a rim that's too narrow causes problems though I'm not really sure what! Food for thought ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts