Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I’m restoring my RD03, I have just taking the entire bike apart and will start with the frame and engine.

The engine was burning about 1L oil for 2,500km and most of the seals are leaking so I will replace all the seals and put some new piston rings in.

My question to ye is what else should I look at replacing when the engine is out?
I was thinking cam chains & bearings but I’m not sure.

The bike is 30 years old and just completed 100,000km.

Traveling The World Two Up on a 1989 Africa Twin 650.

Updates Here:
www.instagram.com/Africa.Twin.Adventures
www.facebook.com/DHealy91

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm amazed by how many decent threads get zero response on here. Luckily, I pop in on your instagram page and check out the pics, but I don't have an account, so I can't post. Lovely progress. How did your rear sub-frame look when you unbolted it? All else looks good. Did the exhaust burn the paint on the frame or is that rust? Please post pics on here. Mine is still just shy of 100K. I'm waiting to turn the clock over for the first ride on New Years. I did take it out the other day to celebrate the release of the new ADV Sports bike @ EICMA.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm amazed by how many decent threads get zero response on here. Luckily, I pop in on your instagram page and check out the pics, but I don't have an account, so I can't post. Lovely progress. How did your rear sub-frame look when you unbolted it? All else looks good. Did the exhaust burn the paint on the frame or is that rust? Please post pics on here. Mine is still just shy of 100K. I'm waiting to turn the clock over for the first ride on New Years. I did take it out the other day to celebrate the release of the new ADV Sports bike @ EICMA.
Hi!

Rear sub frame looks perfect :) and yes the exhaust burnet the paint.
Today I plan to finally spray the frame. And I might Have all the engine parts in 1-2 weeks.

Il make a topic on here for the resto also and upload all the same photos as what’s on Instagram.

Updates Here:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am NO expert with xrv 's .but i would go from the top camshafts, measure and check tolerances ,Valves 100% get the seats checked or changed etc.If the bores are ok i would get them honed and i would change pistons too ..Cam chains 100 % change ,all bearings,oil pump ,carbs and the out put shaft these are the minimum i would check and change .I would opt for maximum reliability by doing a proper job ...Nothing worse than a tour with an unreliable bike !!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
He's already well beyond this. Everything is apart. Over-boring due to scoring and replaced oil pump chain.
Are you going through all your electrical connectors and replacing any corroded/suspect bits?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He's already well beyond this. Everything is apart. Over-boring due to scoring and replaced oil pump chain.
Are you going through all your electrical connectors and replacing any corroded/suspect bits?
I’m going trough everything :) the electrical connectors are good condition but Il take them apart and clean etc the whole wiring loom will get cleaned up..

Basically everything that goes back on the bike will get stripped down then replaced or rebuild

Updates Here:

·
Registered
265 Posts
When I had mine rebuilt w honed the bores, new rings, new valve stem oil seals, lapped the valves, all new gaskets, cam chain, tensioner, bottom end was all measured and checked out as good, we fitted all new gaskets from Poland afaik. It had done 110,000kms and was burning oil...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts