Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:Hi, First time on forum, treat me gently! . Advice required on best model transalp for long distance travel. I have heard the older one's may be more reliable and easy to fix. All points of view will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I would look for a late model 650, if you intend to keep it for a while, they are fairly easy to maintain and still fairly new so parts will not be a problem.
When they updated to 700 cc they started using Fuel Injection.
A ell maintained 600 will also do but as it is older parts will soon disappear.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi blues, welcome.

The 600 and 650's are in my opinion better for taking on remoter trails etc because as stumpy said no fuel injection and also they have a 21" front wheel and are lighter, especially the earlier bikes. The late 1990's PD10's 600 bikes for me are the best looking and came with double discs too :thumbup:

Having said that the 700 seems to get around pretty well on its 19" wheel and with Honda's legendary reliability would probably be fine.

But really without wanting to dodge the question they are all good so go for the one that takes your fancy, you wont be disappointed. :D

Actually check out my little film below.. I'm a right Transalp anorak these days :rolleyes:

Cheers
Potski

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
I've heard it's better to go for a post 1991 model, as in watch out for the ones with a black engine as apparently they had some oil issues later in life that have been fixed in the aluminium coloured ones.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I've heard it's better to go for a post 1991 model, as in watch out for the ones with a black engine as apparently they had some oil issues later in life that have been fixed in the aluminium coloured ones.
It is always better once you have chosen the model, to go for the newest one you can get for that reason, all the main problems that plaque the early models have been sorted.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
:confused:Hi, First time on forum, treat me gently! . Advice required on best model transalp for long distance travel. I have heard the older one's may be more reliable and easy to fix. All points of view will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Owned a late Eighties TA600 many moons ago, took it to Yurrup and across the knobbly bits of Wales and such like. Now own a TA650, have taken it to Yurrup and across knobbly bits in lots of places.

Gotta say (quietly, so Gertrude can't hear) the 600 was probably a better all rounder, mainly as it was lighter. However as the estimable StumpyF says, bits are going to be getting harder to find and a 15 year old bike is probably going to be starting to suffer the depradations of old age... much like me! :(

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Double-front-disc 600. Just a bit better than the 650 that replaced it. Bit lighter, no slower, no discernible difference in economy, no HISS to fight with. :D

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
i researched the bike big trailie market for some time before going for the transalp and along the way i discovered this site which was brilliant since then i've done some unbelievably long rides along so many varied and different roads and lanes to stoney bridlepaths and I've amazed myself at the things I've managed to do for someone of my age and skill.

but it is the bike that is the star it just doesn't ever give in and i've never owned anything before that has worked so hard and never dropped a beat.

I'm not fortunate enough to have an income that allows me to change my bike regular and slowly make my way round all the bike stables and have a difinitive opinion on most bikes so I'm kind of stuck with the alp.

but i wouldn't want to be stuck with any other bike or maybe I'm just easily pleased but others seem to have the bug the same as me.

based on everything i've said take stumpy's advice and go for a late model 650 and enjoy:thumbup:.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts