Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem with my teenage son.
We have been talking about buying him his first bike so he can take his A1 licence and we discussed buying him a Honda XR 125 as his first bike.
He found a video of a Yamaha DT 125R and this is the bike he now wants.
Do you guys have any suggestions of other bikes that would give him the grin factor without breaking my bank balance.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I would tell him he's lucky to get a bike at all. When I was that age I had to work for anything I wanted. When you're getting something for nothing then you can't afford to be too choosy!

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
The XR 125 is one of those modern learner bikes and lacks charisma and grunt. If you get the DT 125 and he's passed his test by feb, I'll take it off you for my daughter (she currently has a DT50, which lacks everything but looks). Honestly, if I found an MZ ETZ 125 I'd buy it. Mine, many years ago, was the fastest and most reliable 125 around.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The DT125R certainly looks the part.
Personally I consider the Varadero to be by far the best 125. I owned one for a few months earlier this year and would have another.
Any of the Jap 125s will hold their value if you buy at the right price and look after it.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I would tell him he's lucky to get a bike at all.
My son has just worked all summer and managed to save up £400.
He sold his last moped for £300.
I told him I would double what he saved up and thats the deal.
Maybe I should thrash him with a stick like they did in the "good old days" and spend his money on drugs or alcohol for myself huh?
I am looking for a bike that he can play off road on and not having to worry about dropping it and breaking stuff.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Older XLR125 ?
KMX / KDX125 ?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
the dt 125 is 2 stroke isnt it ? i had a 1987 rd125 ypvs full power back in 1989 it would do 95 mph it was a lot of fun but man was it a thirsty bastard and i had to buy syn 2 stroke oil . i swaped it for a sp370 that was a heap so i swaped that for a suzuki gs 125 that wasnt very fast but it was a miser on petrol i still really enjoyed that . the xr 125 are a great bike not real fast but speed isnt everything less inclined to go bang than a 2 stroke and all . :thumb:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'd buy what's going to hold it's value best on the assumption that at 21 he'll do his A2 licence and want to get the most for the bike he can.
Rich.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts