Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A couple of years ago I promised my only son I would buy him his first bike if he got a part time job and saved up his wages.
Long story short ,he just gave me all his savings from his last summer job and wants me to chip in (as agreed) for his first ever bike.
If you were 17 yrs old and had €1500 what would you buy?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
If I were 17 yrs old and had ,,,,,,€1500 what would I buy? A one way ticket to Thailand :D

Seriously though are there any restrictions on what he can ride over there at his age

Fred

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A one way ticket to Thailand :D
PERVERT! :clown::clown::clown:

He wont be able to ride it on the road until he is 18 but I can :D:D:D
We can find somewhere offroad for him to learn how to ride not far from where we live.
I can ride the bike out there and he can follow me on his scooter:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
PERVERT! :clown::clown::clown:

He wont be able to ride it on the road until he is 18 but I can :D:D:D
We can find somewhere offroad for him to learn how to ride not far from where we live.
I can ride the bike out there and he can follow me on his scooter:thumbup:
:D I was wondering what engine size or horse power restrictions there are over there on a learner. our laws have changed so many times since i was 17 i don't know what a learner can ride here now, although i think we can still ride bike on the road at 17.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
when I was 17 we didn't get that far . that was 1987 and condoms were not available to buy in the chemist shops hear in Ireland ,that was back in the dark old days when the hairy beasts ( priests ) had a lot of sway apparently teenage pregnancy was less of a sin in the eyes of god that using conterseption but it was ok for some of them to molest alter boys then get moved on to another parish the sick twisted bastards that enabled them were worse they should have had their own loonie bin and lock them up and throw away the key . between shit wages and Norwich union the only bike insurance company in Ireland fleecing anyone under 25 thing were pretty ****ing grim .

nobody goes to mass anymore if they want to get the young people back into the church they should pull back the pews get a good dj in and instead of giving them holy communion give them an E . body of Christ . a ****ing men father the place would be packet , this is the kind of hymn's the kids would like to hear https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94-6N5ttrKE

sorry about the rant back on topic :lol:

I had a dt 100 when I was 17 I got talked into buying a heap of shit dt100 off a smart bastard who was supposed to be a mate off his mate instead of the lovely clean low mileage Honda h 100 I was going to buy that would have been way better you don't want to get him a dt 100 they are crap . I would look into insurance costs first of all no point in paying out big money for the sake of 45cc's or something a 4 stroke will sip petrol a 2 stroke will glug it down and bottles of synthetic 2t oil that's costly as well . start off cheap insurance for a couple of years to get a bit of no claims bonus behind him and save up the difference towards a nicer bike in a couple of years might as well have the money in his pocket as the insurance company ? and it don't hurt as much crashing slower bikes .

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The plan is to register it and insure it in my name so he dont get fleeced on insurance because of his age.
I want to get him something he can tinker with and my suggestions are,
Honda XR 125 or XLR125.
Yamaha DT125R or an older model
Yamaha XT 125.
The registration/import tax is going to cost a couple of hundred as we are getting a bike from Germany.

I dont plan to give my lad any "E,s" or send him anywhere near a church because they dont like me ever since I told em to shove their church tax where the sun dont shine and damned my soul to the down stairs party. :angel10::angel10::angel10:
$_57 (4).jpg

He has his eye on one of these which has about 12bhp and will probably be 30kph faster than his current scooter.

Heres a picture of him fantasizing about getting his hands on my project which just needs a few bits n bobs.

11040757_1124789380870411_1105954936_n.jpg

Dream on son....:D

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
If i was him I'd be nagging you for the DT my mate had the DT125LC when i was 17 and he used to leave my xl sucking in his dust but now i'm older and wiser? ok just older I'd go for the little XR :thumbup:

PS:- your project is looking great :thumbup:

·
Registered
942 Posts
i'd be inclined to go for the dt if I was 17 again , 30 years back I had a dt175 with 125 stickers on it and had a couple of mates that had a dt125lc and a dr125 , my 175 would top out at about 70mph the lc which had been derestricted must have had 10mph on me , the dr125 would have struggled to pull the skin off a rice pudding , little 2 smokers are much more fun than 4 strokes ,
there's a nice supermoto version of the dt too , remember you saying he fancied a supermoto , or tdr125 has the same engine and looks pretty cool for a 125
the lad looks quite at home on your 650 imagine whatever 125 he ends up with he'll be moving on to something bigger asap

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
I would go towards something he wants otherwise its always dad's bike he feels like he is borrowing. Any problems with the bike are then most definitely your problems, not his. It's also likely to be a bike he will only keep until his licence allows him to ride something bigger so don't blow all the budget at once.

My eldest son got a Honda city fly. Brilliant, very reliable but a bit dull. An insurance write off we fixed for about £100. It was what he wanted and he loved it. Recommended by me.

Second son had an Aprilla RS125. Quick and sexy but Absolutely crap. Unreliable and expensive. It had had about 10 previous owners all aged 17 and clueless. It was cheap and was what he wanted and he cleaned and polished it religiously but I had to go all the spanner work. NOT recommended by me. .

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am leaning towards the DT125R simply because he will want something he can fiddle with to make it faster like we all did when we were younger.
I think you can get big bore kits for them and increase the power a little bit..
I did suggest a TDR 125 but he dont want loads of fairings and plastic up front.
I also want him to get something that will be easy to sell once he decides to trade up to something bigger.
Good DT125R,s are fetching good money at the moment.
When he sits on my bike, he gets a wicked glint in his eye but I have told him he aint getting it just yet ,I want to play with it first.:D:D:D

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
when I was a chap small 2 strokes broke my heart engin's going bang and my rd 125 lc ypvs was thirsty and then some it was very quick though almost quick enough to kill me but you cant kill a bad thing . I also had bikes like Suzuki gs 125 it wasn't quick but quick enough it was extremely frugal . I don't know your lad or how he feels about it but I would try and tell my own lad to get a Yamaha ybr 125 I think they might be the best 125 cc 4 stroke on the market at the moment ? the xr is fine too but I think the ybr might be better and gravel tracks would be no bother to it . :thumbup:

·
Registered
115 Posts
If he could manage the insurance/license an NC30 Vfr would be a great starter bike provided he took it easy till he could handle it right,a bike he wouldn't get bored with and it's small as well.
I started off legally on the road on a GP100,good enough bike till I wrapped it round a tree:lol: like alias said we were screwed here in the 80's because there was only one insurance provider for bikes,how times have changed.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
we were screwed here in the 80's because there was only one insurance provider for bikes,how times have changed.
Back when I started in the 70,s Norwich Union or Undeb were the only insurance companies around.
I bought a Suzuki GT185 and had to borrow the money over two years from my grandad.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
That soon got swapped for a Yamaha RD350 (£525 brand new) when I passed my test and it was the fastest bike in town.
I remember riding (slowly officer) back from the Transatlantic at Oulton Park, last one back to the pub got the beers in.:D:D:D
Where did the time go?:clown::clown::clown:

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
If it's got to last him a while, get a four stroke. Not fussed, two.
And most of the big bore kits on the market are shite with rings not fitting the rusted bores.

My son's riding around on a crap looking cg125. Dull as feck but been running under him for almost 5 years now, and he's run it out of oil twice.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I am leaning towards the DT125R simply because he will want something he can fiddle with to make it faster like we all did when we were younger.
I think you can get big bore kits for them and increase the power a little bit..
I did suggest a TDR 125 but he dont want loads of fairings and plastic up front.
I also want him to get something that will be easy to sell once he decides to trade up to something bigger.
Good DT125R,s are fetching good money at the moment.
When he sits on my bike, he gets a wicked glint in his eye but I have told him he aint getting it just yet ,I want to play with it first.:D:D:D
when I was a virgin I knew 2 lads with gt125's with 100 oversize pistons they locked them up on a regular basis and I had plenty of troubles myself holed pistons , broken pistons and broken off reed valves locking it up then hitching a ride to the train going to city spares in Dublin and bring back 100cc 2t engins in rucksacks on me back . oh its good fun allright going around like billy whizz its a great buzz but then with you little bee in a bottle looses its sting and your back on your bmx bike life is pretty ****ing shit from what I remember and less determined chaps packed in bikes altogether . bottom line is 2 strokes are shite good for a laugh but not viable transport and if you go home tuning them they burn bright for a short time then you got to put your hand in your pocket and ride around on your bmx bike wasting weeks of summer sunshine . :sunny:

·
Registered
942 Posts
think you were just unlucky there alias , and there is a big difference between derestricting and tuning ,
those dt's and the like are designed to make 20+ hp and then get choked back to what the law allows , removing the restrictor from the pipe or reconnecting the power valve isn't the same as taking a file to the ports of a gt125 ,
my mates dt used to get thrashed from Birmingham to Exeter every weekend for a couple of years , then thrashed round the fields at every opportunity and never missed a beat .
the dt gets a pretty good write up here http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/yamaha/dt125x/2004/

·
Registered
742 Posts
I had an aircooled TS100ER, thing was pretty much bulletproof. Mild port cleaning and no other mods meant it ran for a very long time with just minimal maintenance.
I do like 2t bikes but these days for a learner I would think a mini Varadero would be a great choice as they are big enough to fit a good sized adult and have a nice engine.
Fuel economy and modern build will mean lots of riding rather than spannering.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I have another crisis on my hands.
A week ago I found this in Germany for my son 600km from where we live and contacted the selle and made a deal.

$_57 (1).JPG

Yesterday the guy e-mailed me to say that he crashed it and the deal is off. :):):)
I had a word with Jnr and told him to find summit else as any good dad would do.:thumbup:
Both bikes are from 2004.

He found this with 12500km but it a 750km drive to go get it.

$_57 (6).jpg

I found this one which is the same price as the other it has only ridden 8000km(by a girl) and is only 500km drive away.
As the title of this thread asks ,What would you do?

$_57 (3).jpg

Bearing in mind he is only 17 and can not legally ride it for another year in Denmark but I can. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Please vote for the bike that would give him the better street credit with all the Danish totty he is chasing. :D:D:D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts