Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 17 yr old son is heading off to technical college next week to go and study for 4 years to be a bike mechanic.
I have already bought him his first bike for when he takes his test in July when he turns 18...DT125 YPVS
He has told me that he is allowed to take a project bike into school to work on as part of his education.
My question to you chaps is ,what bike would you suggest to buy taking into account this bike is going to be stripped down and totally rebuilt.
My first thoughts are:
Honda CX500 coz its a V-twin.(poor mans Guzzi)
Kawasaki Z650 coz its a 4 cylinder classic that I had 2 of.
Honda VFR 750 RC24 as its a cracking bike and my son agrees with me.
Yamaha SR500 as i have had 3 of them.

Remember he is only 17 and aint passed his test yet.

My budget is about £1000

Do you guys have any suggestions regarding as to what bike would be the best educational tool for a teenager to tear apart in a well equipped workshop.
I promised him I will tax and insure it for him to ride when its done.
Serious affordable suggestions will be passed on to him for his opinion.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
a cx 500 would be a good one so would a Honda 400four or a BMW R45 . is there some kind of limit to the power of the bike for a new passed the test rider in Denmark for a couple of years and would insurance be expensive being so young even in 2 years he will only be 19 . maybe a 650 twin like a Yamaha xs650 or Suzuki gr650 or a twin cylinder I have a thing for even though I never even ridden one is a Kawasaki z750 or how about a 400cc 4 cylinder like a cbr fzr gsxr vfr400 ? might be better off with a water cooled because most on the road's are these days ? maybe even a big hairy chested air cooled 1100cc 4 cylinder might be able to pick up a fairly decent factory custom shaft drive one and make a toe cutter or jim goose tribute bike depends which side of the law you lean towards nomadic rapists and murders or law enforcement :lol: toe cutters bike was better cos black is the best colour for a bike . or how about a ducati 750 or 900 ss in need of a hand I think they look great stock but they lend them self's well to café style builds . best of luck to him what a cool thing to study . :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
He wants to do a BMW45 or 65 but I am not a fan myself.
I like the CX 500 coz there are loads of them in germany.
I remember being his age when I was restricted to 250 until you pass your test but my son has been arsing around on bikes since he was 12 so its not like he is a newby.
I am leaning towards a CX 500 coz he is going to arse around on his DT125 which has 22bhp as standard plus whatever he put into it when he will want to tune it so I reckon a 500cc V-twin would be perfect.
I have to keep it to £1000 coz I still plan to go down to germany to get my mates trumpet and fix tht up when my own project is done.
I want him to get his head into the technical side of bikes thats why I want to hear from other riders and what they had fun building.
I am just happy he wants to spend the next 4 years learning about bikes and not be pissing about in gangs doing drugs and all that bad stuff that is around these days.:thumbup:
Look at the price of this one I found in 2 minutes.

Honda CX 500 | eBay

Wouldnt you want one of them when you have access to a fully equiped workshop with a couple of mates?
His mate is bringing his GPZ 750 with him to school and he is 18.:D

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
He might be taking the dominator in to get that going if this new coil dont work :D

·
Registered
1,328 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I like the look of the VT Ascot just as it is ,looks similar to the FT500 which might be a good option as you can get them with 27bhp in Germany and the law here is under 33bhp for the first two years but they are thinking of changing it.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks Alias ,I can always rely on you to come out with the sensible suggestions.:D:D:D
Its gonna have to be summit old school and cheap that will keep him busy in the school workshop and out of my wallet because I reckon my next project is going to be very expensive and take quite a while. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Thanks Alias ,I can always rely on you to come out with the sensible suggestions.:D:D:D
Its gonna have to be summit old school and cheap that will keep him busy in the school workshop and out of my wallet because I reckon my next project is going to be very expensive and take quite a while. :thumbup:
he should go for it get the suit tall boots and rising sun helmet and play some sweet music . I am planning on building a bosozoko bike myself but from a Suzuki gs 1100 L with 4 into 4 mega phones then I will go back to the bike rally's but only turn up at 3am and play a few tunes for half an hour take a break for an hour play a few more tunes until some heafty drunken ould mare come running out of the camp site in her nickers with murder in her mind then take off fast out run her pull up a safe distance away but still within ear shot anywhere with in amile radius would do and finish off me few tunes :D I bet they are going to love me but they wont know who I am because I will cover my face and number plate I will also pull up across the road from the cop shop late at night do it for 30 seconds and get out of there fast . I cant wait I will have so much fun . its as entertaining as burnouts but easier on the bike and I don't think it's healthy to be breathing in tyre smoke . in fact I think a 250cc 4 cylinder would play better tunes seeing as they rev so high :cool: a Honda jade would be the job . modify the seat change the bars metal flake paint and 4 mega phones sorted . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgDzYoca3Zo

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
or he could just do a brat style bike leave standard size wheels and fork travel and all just change the look they are huge in Japan right now sr400 and bikes like that :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
We have talked about a SR400 but the newer models are fuel injection and expensive and the older models are as rare as a sober irishman or a honest scouser :D:D:D
I think I will leave the final choice to him because what you and other folks our age think are cool might not be in the eyes of a teenager.
At the end of the day ,he will get what he,s given and if he dont like it he can buy his own.:thumbup:
Problem is ,his best mate who he is going to study with , his old man is a Hells Angel and let his son have a Kawasaki 900 Ninja and I am worried my lad will want one and end up splattered.
Its a big leap from a 22bhp DT125 YPVS to a sports bike.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
the main problem with the gpz900r is too much go and not enough hold backers . even with braded hoses they are weak 1983 technology he would be grand with a 600 race rep from the early 90's on they stop well . even something like a Honda 400 super four would be cool and maybe ok for insurance and could make a nice stock custom although I presume its going too be more about mechanics than paint work . a vfr 400 single sided swinging arm might fit one :cool:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I want to get him something that he can strip down ,lay it out on the bench then put back together and make it work so I dont think its a good idea to get a 4 cylinder bike.
I reckon a single or twin with about 500cc shouæd be enough, something that can do around 80-100mph and still be cool emough for him to pull the birds :D:D:D
He already knows his way around a tool box and I have bought him some decent tools this past two christmases and he will have full access to the schools workshop.
When I took him down to my mates pub in germany last summer to work on my mates Triumph ,he really enjoyed having me explain the internals so I need something to challenge him and to keep his face out of his iphone that is always glued to his face.
Something mid 80s should do the trick then we wont have to pay the very expensive Danish import tax that end up being as expensive as the bike.:(:(:(
He has got a couple of grand coming from his grandma when he turns 18 and I have told him he has to pay for his own licence if he wants me to get him another bike.
He paid half for his DT125 with money he earned last summer and i promised him I would register it with tax and insurance if he stays out of trouble with the law, unlike his old man.

Summit like this would keep him off his phone.:D:D:D
d90393e791f58fe37425f8e342b21741.jpg
28_02_2014_yamaha_07.jpg

Nice little XS400 with a bit of bling and I can teach him how to paint.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
they look well I had 2 xs 400's I loved riding them but I blew the head gasket on both I had an xs650 heritage special I taught it handled funny maybe it was just a rubbish back tyre or worn swinging arm bushes or shocks or what ever I didn't care I didn't even keep it a week if it starts to lose the run of it self going fairly handy around corners in the wet its no good to me . engine wise Suzuki 400 ish twins are the best very strong lump although the over all look of the engine is not as good looking as the Yamaha the older Honda twin engines looked much better than the super dream era too . how about a Kawasaki z 400 twin they are a nice looking engine and all . ?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I think he might like one of the old school GSX400E like the old Katana and they pack a bit of punch for their size like this one for €900 in Germany.
$_57 (1).jpg

I do like the Kawasaki Z400s but there dont seem to be many around these days like this one also in Germany for €999

$_57 (2).jpg

These two are well under budget but look too nice to turning into cafe racers or bobbers.:thumbup:

Old school is still cool.:D:D:D

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
both perfect bikes to build a Bosozoko bike out of :cool: or what ever he fancy's himself . if he could pick up a r45 though within his budget he could turn it into a right few quid when its done . I see people asking huge money for custom airheads I don't know if they get it or not ? I would prefer the gsx myself though . could he just take in a bike and restore it take it apart and reassemble it ?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts